Dec 13 2012
By: havocsarmy Fender Bender 3987 posts

Comics: A dying breed

41 replies 151 views Edited Dec 13, 2012

Does anyone here still buy and read comics? It use to be popular in the 90's but since the turn of the century, stores don't carry them as much. It's great that comic book characters such as Wolverine, Iron Man, and the Hulk, in addiition to DC Universe get their own movies but I don't see people buying them as much. Are they getting the digital print or am I reading too much into this.

I have alot of comics from the 90's such as Bishop & Gambit, the Uncanny X-men; where they were getting captured one by one by sentinel-like robots, and many more books to count.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 1 of 42 (151 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41348 posts

Re: Comics: A dying breed

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

I'd like to get back into it and probably could with back-issues (local comic store has back issues for $1). Still have a box of them in my room. Picked up the hobby from my dad that has a closet full of them (4 shelves full + 10-15 of the long boxes when I was last down there)

Move to digital is probably one thing but I think the price/expense is also a big factor probably holding people back from jumping back in/or keeping up. I know Marvel does some really extreme cases when you want to follow one of their major story arcs. You need to check out:

Uncanny X-Men #153-158
Wolverine #42-44
X-Men #424-430
X-Factor #86-90
New Mutants #65
Astonishing X-Men #72
Namor: The Submariner #105-107
X-Force #42

And you get the idea. All the tie-ins are just kind of off putting (check out Astonishing X-Men #__ to see what happens to ______) They stretch a lot of the stuff over too many books/series. Some people just wait for the trade paperbacks to get all of it collected together. I mean, if you regulate yourself to certain series/characters, it's easy to keep up with but when the arcs come up or if you have broader tastes, it's daunting to keep up with.

EDIT: Just to get a picture, look at all the tie-ins for Civil War.  They've done better setups though, like the Annihilation arc which dealt with the Cosmic Heroes (think Civil War was taking place at the same time so while Earth Heroes were fighting over some stupid registration act, Nova & Co. could have used all that muscle to help fight Annihilus which was threatening the Universe and wiping out entire planets).

Message 2 of 42 (143 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 13, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:
I'd like to get back into it and probably could with back-issues (local comic store has back issues for $1). Still have a box of them in my room. Picked up the hobby from my dad that has a closet full of them (4 shelves full + 10-15 of the long boxes when I was last down there)

Move to digital is probably one thing but I think the price/expense is also a big factor probably holding people back from jumping back in/or keeping up. I know Marvel does some really extreme cases when you want to follow one of their major story arcs. You need to check out:

Uncanny X-Men #153-158
Wolverine #42-44
X-Men #424-430
X-Factor #86-90
New Mutants #65
Astonishing X-Men #72
Namor: The Submariner #105-107
X-Force #42

And you get the idea. All the tie-ins are just kind of off putting (check out Astonishing X-Men #__ to see what happens to ______) They stretch a lot of the stuff over too many books/series. Some people just wait for the trade paperbacks to get all of it collected together. I mean, if you regulate yourself to certain series/characters, it's easy to keep up with but when the arcs come up or if you have broader tastes, it's daunting to keep up with.

I don't get either with these different X-men comics. There should be only one X-men, either Uncanny or Astonishing. I really had my eyes opened when Juggernaut of all people was on the X-team. That was years ago and remember the history between Xavier and his half-brother? I like the anomosity between them and wouldn't change it for the world.

Then Wolverine has his own series. Is he an X-man or what? Is he with the team or solo?  

Message 3 of 42 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41348 posts

Dec 13, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

I don't get either with these different X-men comics. There should be only one X-men, either Uncanny or Astonishing. I really had my eyes opened when Juggernaut of all people was on the X-team. That was years ago and remember the history between Xavier and his half-brother? I like the anomosity between them and wouldn't change it for the world.

Then Wolverine has his own series. Is he an X-man or what? Is he with the team or solo?  

Emma Frost too.  Would have to look to see who else is currently on the roster but I think House of M is a big factor in how things are going there.  Roughly 200-ish mutants after that so maybe some see it as better to just stick together.  I know Hulk took care of Juggernaut during World War Hulk when he [Hulk] showed up to look for Xavier (that whole Illuminati thing).  And isn't Xavier dead for the time being?

Wolverine comes and goes it seems.  Last I looked in, he was on the Avengers fighting the X-Men during the Phoenix Five/Avengers vs X-Men storyline.

Message 4 of 42 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 13, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

Emma Frost too.  Would have to look to see who else is currently on the roster but I think House of M is a big factor in how things are going there.  Roughly 200-ish mutants after that so maybe some see it as better to just stick together.  I know Hulk took care of Juggernaut during World War Hulk when he [Hulk] showed up to look for Xavier (that whole Illuminati thing).  And isn't Xavier dead for the time being?

Wolverine comes and goes it seems.  Last I looked in, he was on the Avengers fighting the X-Men during the Phoenix Five/Avengers vs X-Men storyline.

LOL I saw Wolverine on the Avengers side and thought huh?

Didn't Onslaught take care of Juggernaut too? And didn't Gladiator toss him 100 miles also? lol

Could you please explain the whole Illuminati thing, I know about them somewhat but with the Hulk and Professor X? I haven't heard about that.

Message 5 of 42 (131 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41348 posts

Dec 13, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

LOL I saw Wolverine on the Avengers side and thought huh?

Didn't Onslaught take care of Juggernaut too? And didn't Gladiator toss him 100 miles also? lol

Could you please explain the whole Illuminati thing, I know about them somewhat but with the Hulk and Professor X? I haven't heard about that.

I was just as confused about Wolverine being on the side but reading an issue or two into it, I understood why he was against the X-Men and the Phoenix Force (what it did to Jean Grey and all that jazz).

Didn't Onslaught take care of pretty much everyone?  And Gladiator is a powerhouse so him taking on Juggernaut wouldn't be too surprising.  Juggernaut doesn't have his original powers anymore though (the powers & title were passed onto Colossus who I think is now without them after the Phoenix Five).

'Planet Hulk' happened before 'World War Hulk'.  The Illuminati at the time deemed Hulk too much of a threat to Earth so they tricked him into a rocket (said they needed him for a mission with a satellite) and launched him deep into space with the intentions of sending him to a planet with no life on it (so he couldn't hurt anyone) but he ended up elsewhere and was thrown into some gladiator life with the 'Warbound'.

The Illuminati had a meeting about sending Hulk/Banner away that Namor walked out on (Wiki says Xavier wasn't even present) but Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange and Black Bolt (?) agreed to it.  They originally wanted Black Panther in the group too but he walked out on them during the first meeting (I've read now that he's heading up the group but Marvel Wikia also says they're the 'New Avengers' consisting of Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Namor, Beast and Black Bolt).

But anyways, during World War Hulk, Hulk went to Xavier cause he was collecting up the Illuminati members (that ship they sent him away on had a bomb that destroyed his then new planet that he was ready to settle down on; Xavier did say if he was present during the meeting to send him into space, he would have voted Yes) but ended up leaving without him cause he saw that the mutants had already taken enough damage (this is after the mutant numbers were down to the hundreds after Decimation).

I really would like to get back into the Marvel stuff but I wouldn't even know where to start.  Maybe just start at a particular year or around a certain arc and work my way forward (and go back as needed).  Should probably start with a particular team/character and go from there =\

Message 6 of 42 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 13, 2012
Comics have just gotten too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis.

Even worse, comic book shops are very hard to find in my area.

The Barnes and Noble bookstore is the only place near me that even carries a selection of comics...
Message 7 of 42 (123 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10040 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Been looking for Dark Phoenix, and TaskMaster comics around my brothers closet. If I can't, then I'll just put money at Marvel.com and read them online.

[MVP Terms and Conditions][MVP Program][My YouTube Channel]
[
Welcoming Committee][ Motivated, Vigilant, Passionate]
[You're not worthy as my opponent! #Vergil]
Message 8 of 42 (120 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 13, 2012

That story doesn't sound too far fetched. Was General Ross aka Red Hulk present there at that time?

If mutants were here today, would they be national security threats? And would the government deal with them directly, hire a mutant squad for hire or let mutants take out each other?

As far as starting with a character to read, would Wolverine or Gambit- who in one of my comics is called the New Son or something like that. I'll check it out to be sure

Message 9 of 42 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41348 posts

Dec 13, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

That story doesn't sound too far fetched. Was General Ross aka Red Hulk present there at that time?

If mutants were here today, would they be national security threats? And would the government deal with them directly, hire a mutant squad for hire or let mutants take out each other?

As far as starting with a character to read, would Wolverine or Gambit- who in one of my comics is called the New Son or something like that. I'll check it out to be sure

Think Ross showed up during WWH.

And if Mutants/Superpowered beings existed in our world today, I think something like Civil War would indeed happen.  'Registration' acts for these people to register with either their local governments and/or a world-wide agency.  They wouldn't want these people having secret identities.  I'm sure governments would also want to run their own specialized teams for whatever reason (security, special operations, etc.).  I think this would scare some nations though when they Country A has a being who can destroy a large area with a thought and Country B has one who is a walking nuclear reactor.  Being from Country C can change the weather for the worst and being from Country D can nullify any power source within x amount of miles.  There would be a lot of whining about 'this isn't fair' and 'this being/country needs to be under watch because of Being Y'.  Then you throw 'terrorists' and other radicals/extremists into the mix or someone of these powers sharing those ideals...a mess waiting to happen.  The governments would need their own ably powered team or individuals to deal with threats like that.

I might not jump right in with the mutant stuff although I may just glance to see what they're up to.  I was enjoying the Cosmic stuff (Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy) so I might drop back in there if I decide to and maybe a few other side characters (Black Panther, Namor for instance).

Message 10 of 42 (112 Views)