Aug 02 2013
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14608 posts

Civilization

15 replies 126 views Edited Aug 2, 2013

For those who do not know, I am a Civ V addict. I began playing the game in January and have nearly 300 hours in it. I know that is not THAT much, but it still has not lost its appeal.

I want to know what all you guys think about Civilization. Which one is your favorite? Do you like it at all? Why or why not? Time spent? Best/worst thing in Civ V? Settings you use?

I will begin by answering a few of these. 

My favorite is actually Civ V. I have played the others, but I truly love the combat a lot more in Civ V. The hexagonal map and lack of unit stacking truly makes this game more strategic and fun for me. I would say Civ IV if it was not for the Civ V expansions, though. 

Civ V has its problems. Mainly the AI. The AI will often be irrational and random. Sometimes they will pull something off, but you can tell the AI is not good when the only way Firaxis can make the game extremely hard is by allowing the AI to cheat (Any difficulty beyond Prince gives advantages to the AI to make them harder). They still will be extremely bad, though. The new expansion, Brave New World, has made them a bit better, but they are still random and often stupid. Their naval combat can be laughable. And their diplomacy can also be terrible.

But when it works...it works. The game can give such a sense of reward. Especially if the game was neck-and-neck. 

I also have a few screenshots of my current game where I just took out Brazil. Poland is my nemesis. And the rest of the nations are scared of me because I created/used the first nuclear weapons (I hit Rio de Janeiro with two nukes).

The settings: Large Earth Map(10 Civs), Prince Difficulty, Marathon Speed

Former Brazil

My captital

Poland...you are next

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 16 (126 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Civilization

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

But when it works...it works. The game can give such a sense of reward. Especially if the game was neck-and-neck. 

I also have a few screenshots of my current game where I just took out Brazil. Poland is my nemesis. And the rest of the nations are scared of me because I created/used the first nuclear weapons (I hit Rio de Janeiro with two nukes).

You're a monster.

Anyways, the only Civ game I've ever played was Revolution, on the PS3. I love it, but I don't often play it. I'm considering hunting down a second copy though, just so my brother and I can play online.

I also had the Civ 5 demo sitting unplayed on my Surface for the longest time. It eventually got deleted out of necessity, but I think I'll give it another go. I've been pretty lethargic in terms of playing PS3 as of late, despite my backlog of AAA amazing games, and with my Vita M.I.A. and my 3DS sitting unused as always, maybe Civ can fill that gaming hole in my heart.

So it's downloading now, I guess I'll pop back in tomorrow maybe when I get a chance to try it.

Message 2 of 16 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 2, 2013

johngie wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

You're a monster.

Anyways, the only Civ game I've ever played was Revolution, on the PS3. I love it, but I don't often play it. I'm considering hunting down a second copy though, just so my brother and I can play online.

I also had the Civ 5 demo sitting unplayed on my Surface for the longest time. It eventually got deleted out of necessity, but I think I'll give it another go. I've been pretty lethargic in terms of playing PS3 as of late, despite my backlog of AAA amazing games, and with my Vita M.I.A. and my 3DS sitting unused as always, maybe Civ can fill that gaming hole in my heart.

So it's downloading now, I guess I'll pop back in tomorrow maybe when I get a chance to try it.

Brazil kept on trying to missionary me to oblivion. So I knocked its population down from 27 to 10. Then took it over...knocking it down to 5. And then hit it with a Great Prophet...

Yeah...Brazil kinda got decimated.

I began on Civ 3 when I was much younger. Then I played Revolution on my PS3. You are missing out BIG by playing Revolution over Civ V or Civ IV. It was dumbed down and many features were cut. A LOT of features. Just buy Civ V Gold Edition which comes with the DLC plus the first expansion. The second expansion just came out. It is worth it too. Maybe wait until the Steam Winter sale...

Message 3 of 16 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Aug 2, 2013
Ive been a big Civilization fan for years, my favorite version being Civ 2. lol, it's hard to even imagine how many hours I may have spent playing it. Currently I'm playing Civ 5, which is is a lot of fun too. Normally, I play at the Warlord level just for fun but I will sometimes challenge myself by playing at Prince or above.

Civ 5 is a great game but flawed in several key ways.

The diplomacy between two npc nations and between the player and a npc nation is seriously messed up. For example, should you denounce a nation that you have declared your friend it will severely hurt your reputation with other nations. However, if a nation that you have declared you friend denounces you, it will hurt your reputation as well, but does not seem to effect the nation that denounced you.

Also, npc nations can fight amongst themselves constantly and devour city-states like tic-tacs, but remain friendly with every other nation. On the other hand, I've had scenarios where I've taken one city state (allied with no one) and been declared a war monger by every other nation, including nations I had been closely allied with for thousands of years.

The military tactics of npc nations is also unpredictable. I've seen some employ brilliant tactics to take a city and then be total inept at laying siege only a few turns later.

I have also never managed to make a successful demand of any nation, no matter how small, despite have vast superiority in every way and poised to wipe them off the map. I'm honestly not even sure why that option is there.

My biggest complaint is with the disbursement of strategic resources. I understand that some of these need to be rarer than others, but it seems like the game goes out of it's way to keep strategic resources away from my territory. This is especially true of the huge Earth map which, despite what level you set it at, is always at the standard level of strategic resources. On this map, even iron and horses are extremely rare.
Message 4 of 16 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 2, 2013

taker-77 wrote:
Ive been a big Civilization fan for years, my favorite version being Civ 2. lol, it's hard to even imagine how many hours I may have spent playing it. Currently I'm playing Civ 5, which is is a lot of fun too. Normally, I play at the Warlord level just for fun but I will sometimes challenge myself by playing at Prince or above.

Civ 5 is a great game but flawed in several key ways.

The diplomacy between two npc nations and between the player and a npc nation is seriously messed up. For example, should you denounce a nation that you have declared your friend it will severely hurt your reputation with other nations. However, if a nation that you have declared you friend denounces you, it will hurt your reputation as well, but does not seem to effect the nation that denounced you.

Also, npc nations can fight amongst themselves constantly and devour city-states like tic-tacs, but remain friendly with every other nation. On the other hand, I've had scenarios where I've taken one city state (allied with no one) and been declared a war monger by every other nation, including nations I had been closely allied with for thousands of years.

The military tactics of npc nations is also unpredictable. I've seen some employ brilliant tactics to take a city and then be total inept at laying siege only a few turns later.

I have also never managed to make a successful demand of any nation, no matter how small, despite have vast superiority in every way and poised to wipe them off the map. I'm honestly not even sure why that option is there.

My biggest complaint is with the disbursement of strategic resources. I understand that some of these need to be rarer than others, but it seems like the game goes out of it's way to keep strategic resources away from my territory. This is especially true of the huge Earth map which, despite what level you set it at, is always at the standard level of strategic resources. On this map, even iron and horses are extremely rare.

I hate that about the AI as well. It seems to cheat in diplomacy and I seem to be the center of all attention. They make you follow some rules. For example, no taking city states unless they declare war with you (when allied with another nation). My problem now, however, is that the warmongering is now city-focused! Wiping out a Civ is not what makes you a warmonger, just taking any city makes you one. However, liberating one will counteract it.

It can be a major pain. I think Firaxis should make a huge AI decision patch. It is seriously impossible to stay friendly with most Civs. I can be best friends with a nation for 3,000 years and they would denounce me out of the blue. 

Message 5 of 16 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55022 posts

Aug 2, 2013

I'm a CIV 4 addict, haven't tried out 5 yet.  Still doing just "one more turn" lol.

I love this game series though, I was dissapointed by their offering on the PS3 however.

Message 6 of 16 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Aug 2, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I'm a CIV 4 addict, haven't tried out 5 yet.  Still doing just "one more turn" lol.

I love this game series though, I was dissapointed by their offering on the PS3 however.

Time to upgrade! Get the Gold edition which comes with Gods and Kings expansion and all the prior DLC. Just leaves you to buy Brave New World.

Message 7 of 16 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55022 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Maybe I will at some point.  I've been playing Civ since 1993 Smiley Tongue   I started with the oldschool Civ.  

I wonder if that game is free to DL on the web, lol, nostalgia.

Message 8 of 16 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Aug 3, 2013

never knew what it was until i read this thread

KZMProductionsGT
Message 9 of 16 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts