Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: Choosing a new car

Mar 18, 2013

Theres also the Chevy Cruze and Sonic 
curze

sonic

Lets not forget that the Ford Fiesta is a direct clone of the Mazda 2. Seeing as how Ford still has a stake in Mazda, and they have always shared platforms and engines.... Ford Ranger is the Mazda B series pickup. Ford Escape is the Mazda Tribute. 

mazda 2

All 3 cars above are priced very well as economy cars. While the Sonic being the less expensive, it does look pretty ugly IMO

With all that aside.... 

WHAT EXACTLY are you looking for in a car? Be a specific

Furiously Chaosing
Message 21 of 64 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

I'm looking for a 2013 cheap, around 15K canadian $ 4 doors (hatchback is possible since I love their look) fuel efficient 6 manual speed with as many option as possible on their base model... I may give chevy a chance but not really sure...

My dead car is a mazda, not that I dont like the brand but I would like to buy a different one this time.

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 22 of 64 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

Stackcluster wrote:

yeah I want a brand new 2013 cheap sub-compact car that will last, I hope, as long as my first car i got when I started working ... (13 years ago !!) 

in fact this will be my second car (if you dont count the Mithsubishi one since I bought it with my wife)

I dont want to deal with a second hand vehicle.

Hybrids and electric cars are awesome, in fact I wanted my second car to be fully electric but it's still too expensive, that's why I'm looking for a 1.4 L fuel efficent engine...

I agree. Used cars are the worst, i've had bad stuff happen to mine and other people's vehicles that I know. In reality used cars are just problems passed on to others

Not really.

All of my family's cars are used.

In 2001, my dad bought a 1999 Ford Contour. Blown motor. $3,500 to buy, $1,000 to fix. Had about 30,000 miles at the time.

It now has 134,000 miles and still runs just fine.

In 2004 my dad bought a 2002 Ford Taurus. Collision damage. $4,500 to buy, $1,500 to fix. Had about 10,000 miles at the time, now has around 60,000. My dad then sold the car this year for $3,500.

In 2011 my brother bought a 2008 Ford Focus. Blown motor and some physical damage. $2,200 to buy, $2,500 to fix. He has driven it the last 2 years no problem.

Also in 2011 my dad bought a 2010 Ford Fusion. Physical damage in the front. $6,000 to buy, $1,000 to fix. Driven it with no problems since then. Dealer has offered $12,000 to buy it off him (Which is $5,000 more than he paid to get it in the first place).

So don't say used cars are crap. If you're smart, you buy the ones that don't have really bad damage, and you just take good care of it (My dad is a car nut, so any cars he owns are in top shape)

My bro and my dad are into cars fixing and stuff but I'm not that much into that myself...  I prefer investing in a brand new car and rides it as long as it works. If everything goes well, I'll give this one to my son in 12-15 years from now.

GTA V FTW !

Message 23 of 64 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5384 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

I'll put in another pitch for used cars. I'm the youngest of 10 kids. My dad could NOT afford a new car for every driver! So, he bought a series of car (the Datsun 1200, B210, and 210 series) that had similar engines and rebuilt them. (I've had my hands inside over 20 engines) and ran them for several years apiece.

In '82, he realized that Toyota was better, so he went with Camry's. He had one that he never touched the engine on that went almost 400K before it died. He still likes Toyota, and promotes it whenever possible. I'm not so sure it makes a difference. (Just don't buy GM or Korean.)(I will pitch for the Ford. They made a commitment several years ago to improve their quality (something I've NEVER heard of GM doing) and it shows. They build good cars these days.)

Fast forward to me. I needed a good car, and my wife pressured me into buying a GM (I HATE GM with a PASSION!!!!). But, to be nice, in 1996 I let her get a 2-year old Chevy Corsica. (with the 3.1). I just got back from the store in that car. It has problems, and will be replaced in a year or so, but it has been astoundingly reliable.

We also have a minivan that we bought at 3 years old in 1999, and it is going okay still.

So, if you don't mind some legwork and research, you CAN find a good car that will last you a VERY LONG time with minimum problems, and will cost you under $10K (US).

Now, aside from personal prejudice, I will say that most cars are fairly close in build quality, so all will come down to personal likes and taste.

Good luck, enjoy the challenge, and PLEASE don't go into debt if possible!

Enjoy!

Edit: pitching Ford

Edit adding years (duh)

If you are a Christian, copy and paste this in your sig. In life, and especially as a Christian, in order to finish first, you must first finish. What's YOUR first place? donoharm.us #sharethegift #peaceispossible #BecauseHeLives #Hallelujah

I am autistic, but not always eloquent.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan
Not all curves that you brake for are corners that you turn for-Matterhorn.... Smiley Wink
Message 24 of 64 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2013

Stackcluster wrote:

I'm looking for a 2013 cheap, around 15K canadian $ 4 doors (hatchback is possible since I love their look) fuel efficient 6 manual speed with as many option as possible on their base model... I may give chevy a chance but not really sure...

My dead car is a mazda, not that I dont like the brand but I would like to buy a different one this time.

You say you have another car for right now, I would save money for a few more months so you can get one of the higher priced economy cars. 

the Cruze's base price is $16k iirc and comes well equipped that way IMO.

Not to suade you to getting a Chevy, but GM has really stepped their game up recently and I am seriously considering getting a Cruze for a daily beater.

There's alsot he Dodge Dart. Not so much an economy car, but it does have a small turbo engine that gets around 35mpg. The Cruze uses a similar small displacement turbo engine. But the new Focus ST is really has my eye.

I test drove the Dart and Cruze with their turbo engines and they are nice and peppy for city driving and even in 6th gear they make enough power to pass the slower motorsits with ease. The interior on the Dart is actually A LOT better than the Cruze IMO. 
I would actually hesistate to say, but both cars seem to be the exact same just with different looks.

Or, you can do what I did and buy an older Toyota(or a Honda) as a placeholder until you can save up a little more money to get a really nice car. My daily is a 1988 Toyota Corolla LE 4 door.... I love this thing, as it easy to maintain, everything works, and like all old Toyota's, they're hard to kill.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 25 of 64 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Mar 19, 2013

If you buy used, you can generally get twice the car for the same money.  So you could easily move up to a mid-size car with a better engine, better crash protection, and lots more room.  Midsize cars get about the same mileage as the micro-compacts anyway, especially if you are shuttling your friends around.  It's a lot less demand on a larger engine.

I would look for a 2011-2012 Kia Optima.  At the end of 4 years it will be worth more than a 2012 Rio.  These cars are undervalued, meaning the opposite of over-priced.  I did a quick scan at www.cars.com and found a 2012 LX for $16K.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=112522403&listin...

Remember, the 2014 models are hitting the showrooms now, so a 2012 is a 2-year-old vehicle.  You can often get these for 1/3 to 1/2 off, depending on the model.

If you buy a new car and trade it in after 2 years, you have paid half the price of the car.  If I buy it, I will pay the other half the price of the car.  We both paid half the price of the same car.  But I get to keep it.  You traded it in after 20 years and have to buy another one.

Don't ever buy a new car.

Message 26 of 64 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Mar 19, 2013

I had a Rio5 2009 model and was super happy with it. The new models have a 6 speed, the 2009 was a 5 speed. Super fuel mileage and 0 problems. You can't go wrong with the KIA. And if you are wondering why I had a Rio5. I traded it in for a 2013 KIA Sportage. Got $10k for it.

Photobucket
Message 27 of 64 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2013

I finally went for the 2013 Elantra GL;

2013 Elantra GL

Thanks for your input guys, appreciated !!

GTA V FTW !

Message 28 of 64 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Mar 19, 2013

Very nice bro....

Save a lil bread and get the hubcaps off for some rims and youll be str8

If you dont mind me asking how much you picked it up for?

Message 29 of 64 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2013

I've got a set of winter tire and the front hood deflector included, tires are 16" and I got 14" mags on my protege...  useless now.

Will get a new set of 16'' mags for the summer and I'll be all set !!

it cost me 18.5K CAN $ without taxes... I took it on 7 years so it's 260$ a month... unitl I clear my Outlander (2 years left on it) then I'll boost the payment to clear the Hyundai it in 5 years total...

GTA V FTW !

Message 30 of 64 (116 Views)