Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: Choosing a new car

Mar 18, 2013

Speedy24xmax wrote:

Do you have a family?

If so I would go with the Focus since its 4 door.

If not then go with the Kia I think it looks better than the Yaris

I got the 2012 Focus SE, when it became apparent my 2007 GTI MKV was not going to cut it for long with a new born.Smiley Sad  I miss the GTI, but the Focus is great.

Also, I went for the SE, only because it was cheaper.  I would have much more enjoyed the HAtch with the Sport Package.  Since getting that, we also got a GMC Terrain.  I love that vehicle.  In hindsight, had I know we were going to eventually get that as well, I would have gone down to the Fiesta GT, for my own personal enjoyment.

The Focus, thus far, is very dependable, and gets great mileage.  It is a standard, so although it is not the 2.0 Turbo of the GTI, I can still get on it pretty modestly.

If I had my true choice though, I would be driving the Evo right now.Smiley FrustratedSmiley LOL

Moble

Message 11 of 64 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 18, 2013

Stackcluster wrote:

yeah I want a brand new 2013 cheap sub-compact car that will last, I hope, as long as my first car i got when I started working ... (13 years ago !!) 

in fact this will be my second car (if you dont count the Mithsubishi one since I bought it with my wife)

I dont want to deal with a second hand vehicle.

Hybrids and electric cars are awesome, in fact I wanted my second car to be fully electric but it's still too expensive, that's why I'm looking for a 1.4 L fuel efficent engine...

GO for the Turbo Fiesta then.  Otherwise, I suppose the Mazda would do.  Whatever you do, DON'T get a Civic!  They are not what they used to be, and they are not even that cheap anymore.

Moble

Message 12 of 64 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Mar 18, 2013
Buy a Honda. I have an 07 Accord fully loaded. And love it. Getting Honda CRV soon. Go with Honda! Honda is most reliable!
Message 13 of 64 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Stackcluster wrote:

yeah I want a brand new 2013 cheap sub-compact car that will last, I hope, as long as my first car i got when I started working ... (13 years ago !!) 

in fact this will be my second car (if you dont count the Mithsubishi one since I bought it with my wife)

Hybrids and electric cars are awesome, in fact I wanted my second car to be fully electric but it's still too expensive, that's why I'm looking for a 1.4 L fuel efficent engine...

GO for the Turbo Fiesta then.  Otherwise, I suppose the Mazda would do.  Whatever you do, DON'T get a Civic!  They are not what they used to be, and they are not even that cheap anymore.

Moble

I know, honda is not in my list at all, too much over hyped IMO.

I dont think I need the fiesta turbo, you know I dont want to race, I just need to go to work everyday. The thing I hate about ford is that they only have manual 5 speed. The Rio have a 6 speed manual trani which IMO is a good selling point.

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 14 of 64 (177 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

Edited OP pictures to fit with model spoken

GTA V FTW !

Message 15 of 64 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 18, 2013

Stackcluster wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Stackcluster wrote:

Moble

I know, honda is not in my list at all, too much over hyped IMO.

I dont think I need the fiesta turbo, you know I dont want to race, I just need to go to work everyday. The thing I hate about ford is that they only have manual 5 speed. The Rio have a 6 speed manual trani which IMO is a good selling point.

I do miss having that sixth gear from my GTI.  On daily back roads, it does not make much of a difference, but on trips to NJ, the roaring of the engine in fifth does get tiresome at times.  That sixth gear gave the engine a nice little hum, that didn't say "I am goanna Blow!".Smiley LOL

KIAs are nice little cars too.  The one you posted looks like a sweet little ride too.  It is always nice for a car to be appealing and reliable.Smiley Happy

Moble

Message 16 of 64 (167 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
14288 posts

Mar 18, 2013

Have you thought about Hyundai's as well? The Accent and Elantra are supposed to be great compacts/subcompacts. My sister just ended up getting the Elantra GT and she loves it. She also has a 3 year old as well but she said it suits her great and does great on gas.

Message 17 of 64 (156 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

Mar 18, 2013

I didnt posted it but I'll go test road the Hyundai's tonight...

The Elantra hatchback is awesome looking :

Hyundai 2013 Elantra hatchback

got a 6 speed manual transmission but cost around 19K for the base model... which is a little bit to high for me...

I may end up with a 2013 Sedan Accent :

Accent sedan 2013

Since I'm not sure about the Hatchback model :

Accent hatchback 2013

I'll test them tonight and see how it feels, they all have the 6 speed manual which is a must IMO... 

GTA V FTW !

Message 18 of 64 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14288 posts

Mar 18, 2013
Yeah definitely give them a try. Hyundai's have really come far in terms of quality. They look great and according to my sister, they drive well. She loves her Elantra GT.
Message 19 of 64 (143 Views)
MVP Support
13581 posts

Mar 18, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

Stackcluster wrote:

I agree. Used cars are the worst, i've had bad stuff happen to mine and other people's vehicles that I know. In reality used cars are just problems passed on to others

Not really.

All of my family's cars are used.

In 2001, my dad bought a 1999 Ford Contour. Blown motor. $3,500 to buy, $1,000 to fix. Had about 30,000 miles at the time.

It now has 134,000 miles and still runs just fine.

In 2004 my dad bought a 2002 Ford Taurus. Collision damage. $4,500 to buy, $1,500 to fix. Had about 10,000 miles at the time, now has around 60,000. My dad then sold the car this year for $3,500.

In 2011 my brother bought a 2008 Ford Focus. Blown motor and some physical damage. $2,200 to buy, $2,500 to fix. He has driven it the last 2 years no problem.

Also in 2011 my dad bought a 2010 Ford Fusion. Physical damage in the front. $6,000 to buy, $1,000 to fix. Driven it with no problems since then. Dealer has offered $12,000 to buy it off him (Which is $5,000 more than he paid to get it in the first place).

So don't say used cars are crap. If you're smart, you buy the ones that don't have really bad damage, and you just take good care of it (My dad is a car nut, so any cars he owns are in top shape)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 64 (141 Views)
0 Likes