4212 posts

Re: Chemestry Help!

Dec 13, 2006

Aowen wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

Aowen wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

Aowen wrote:
Hey, I have a chemestry test today, and I'm a little confused.

Okay, say we take barium chloride, which is composed of Ba(barium), and choloride (Cl-) This becomes BaCL2 to forum barium choloride, but where does that two come from? How could come when you have Silver(Ag) and Nitrate(NO3-) you get AgNO3 but the 3 is given.

Message Edited by Aowen on 12-12-2006 08:11 PM

Ok let me try to explain this as simple as possible. Ba (bariums) has a charge of +2, Cl (chloride) has a charge of -1, Whenever you put compounds together the total charge must equal to 0. So BaCl (would be +2-1 = -1) which is not zero. So it must be BaCl2 (+2+(-1x2))=0!)

Is it -2 because of the group it's in in the Periodic table?

-2? where did you get that from?

what grade are you in?

I'm a freshman...but I'm the only kid in my class who hasn't had chemestry and I missed last class.....

arghh, its called chemIstry. Anyways, i can help you if you have specific questions, but i don't have the time to explain everything as i am preparing for big finals for my classes

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 21 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Dec 13, 2006

DISbCHR1S wrote:

Aowen wrote:

Okay, say we take barium chloride, which is composed of Ba(barium), and choloride (Cl-) This becomes BaCL2 to forum barium choloride, but where does that two come from? How could come when you have Silver(Ag) and Nitrate(NO3-) you get AgNO3 but the 3 is given.

Barium is in the group IIA which means it has a 2+ charge and Nitrate is a Polyatomic ion which means it has two or more combined elements. The charge for Nitrate is jus given

That's just more confusing....Smiley Sad
APPLE SPY
Message 22 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Dec 13, 2006

Aowen wrote:

DISbCHR1S wrote:

Aowen wrote:

Barium is in the group IIA which means it has a 2+ charge and Nitrate is a Polyatomic ion which means it has two or more combined elements. The charge for Nitrate is jus given

by IIA he means the Second column. All the atoms in First column ( IA) have a charge of +1, All the ones in second column have a charge of +2. All the atoms under F (fluorine) which is the 7th column have a -1. those are charges you should know off the top of your head. In addition memorize the charges for Carbon (+4) Oxygen (-2) and other very common ones.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 23 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4493 posts

Dec 13, 2006

Aowen wrote:

DISbCHR1S wrote:

Aowen wrote:

ok....... well Barium, Chloride, and Silver are elements. If you look at any periodic table, above each column is the group name which each has their own specified charge. For example Na(sodium) is in the first group so it has a charge of -1, Ba has 2- and so on.Nitrate is not an element but a polyatomic ion which has an assigned charge of -1 not 3. 3 is the number of oxygen present in the ion. Theres a list of polyatomic ions you find.
Message 24 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1049 posts

Dec 13, 2006
Ba has a positive 2 charge while Cl has a negative 1 charge... to even the charge, you need to have two Cls.. therefore, you get BaCl2...

Message Edited by GranSkyline on 12-12-2006 11:13 PM
For the Sig board I use to use, Now shut down by some stupid fools
For no good reason not that all, Now people are sad one and all
It makes me mad they end my fun, Now only if I had a gun
(No Offense to the Mods, was not created by me)
Message 25 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 13, 2006
I'm a bit late and many of the people have said this answer but yes you do have to follow the rules for diatoms I use the word:

H   = Hydrogen

O  = Oxygen

F   = florine

=  Bromine

I   = Iodine

N  = Nitrogen

C
    =  Chlorine
L

I use this word " HOFBRINCL " to remember all the diatoms. Its been ages since my highschool chemistry course so I don't exactly remember why they occur although I could probably figure it out if i spent some time on it. Hope it helps, hope you did well on that exam.
Message 26 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3016 posts

Dec 13, 2006
Lol, homework on the boards. Awesome. I might just make a thread about Calculus help too.
Message 27 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 13, 2006
lol yeah, you should be careful though some people might give you wrong answers .

What Calculus course are you in?
Message 28 of 28 (10 Views)
0 Likes