Highlighted
Feb 27 2006
By: CurtisMonks~ Ghost of Sparta 17939 posts

Car Subwoofer Question

7 replies 3 views Edited Feb 27, 2006
Hey everyone. Wow, I haven't posted here in a looong time. Anyways, I have a question for you car audio buffs out there. I just purchased a Pioneer 10" Car Subwoofer (TS-W256R) and an MTX MXA3002 amp, as well as a Bassworx ported box. Anyways, I don't know much about car audio, and I was wondering what guage wiring is needed, as well as what difference does it make? The guy at Futureshop said 8 guage will work, so I bought that, but I was wondering what difference it makes? Also, does anyone here have any of the things I bought? Any good? They sounded awesome in the store, I just want your opinion. Thanks!
Message 1 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1973 posts

Re: Car Subwoofer Question

Feb 27, 2006
As a general rule thicker is better for the wire guage.  If you get too thin of a wire, it creates resistance and inhibits the flow of current.  This can also cause heat to built up and even melt the wire casing if the wire is drasticly undersised.

Message Edited by montyburns74 on 02-27-200603:38 AM

Message 2 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Feb 27, 2006

CurtisMonks wrote:
Hey everyone. Wow, I haven't posted here in a looong time. Anyways, I have a question for you car audio buffs out there. I just purchased a Pioneer 10" Car Subwoofer (TS-W256R) and an MTX MXA3002 amp, as well as a Bassworx ported box. Anyways, I don't know much about car audio, and I was wondering what guage wiring is needed, as well as what difference does it make? The guy at Futureshop said 8 guage will work, so I bought that, but I was wondering what difference it makes? Also, does anyone here have any of the things I bought? Any good? They sounded awesome in the store, I just want your opinion. Thanks!

Wow, it's been a while since you been here.Smiley Tongue Sorry for being so off-topic...

Message 3 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4090 posts

Feb 27, 2006

CurtisMonks wrote:

8 Gauge will work fine.

Message 4 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1383 posts

Feb 27, 2006
i'm running 8 guage to my amp. i have a 12in Alpine Type R with a Alpine MRP-M350 amp
Message 5 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37262 posts

Feb 27, 2006
8 guage is pretty thick.  It should be good enough.  Check the wire after heavy use.  If it's warm, that's fine.  If it feels like the surface of an iron, then you have problems.  Get thicker wire.
Message 6 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1254 posts

Feb 27, 2006
8 gauge will do fine
Message 7 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
27123 posts

Feb 27, 2006

CurtisMonks wrote:

Although I cannot help you with this, I welcome you back and its the first tiem i've ever seen you since I have been here lol
Message 8 of 8 (3 Views)
0 Likes