Reply
May 01 2007
By: JapS2438~ Fender Bender 3748 posts
Offline

Can someone help me with just one quick question?

8 replies 1 views Edited May 1, 2007
I have this project to do and I just wanna make sure if I did it right. So I write: "The allusion is refering to the goddess Venus", "The allusion is the goddess Venus", or "The allusion is of the goddess Venus"? Thanks if you can help.Smiley Happy


Message 1 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 04/20/2005
Offline
10305 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007
"The author uses an allusion when he/she refers to the goddes of venus" ? But i believe you can say "the allusion is..."
Message 2 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/22/2005
Offline
4095 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007
I'm no English master, but I'd say the first one..

An allusion is a historical reference right?
Message 3 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/15/2005
Offline
3748 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007


Jtuell wrote:
I'm no English master, but I'd say the first one..

An allusion is a historical reference right?



Kind of, it refers to something important or something that somebody knows, such as Zeus, World War II, and so on.


Message 4 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 03/30/2005
Offline
12141 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007


swattkidd wrote:
"The author uses an allusion when he/she refers to the goddes of venus" ? But i believe you can say "the allusion is..."


i agree with that.  you're usually making an allusion
Message 5 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/11/2007
Offline
1052 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007
i suck at english, maybe first one






http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/1006/gnomegq5.png
Message 6 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/15/2005
Offline
3748 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007
How does this sound? The allusion is referring to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty in Roman mythology.


Message 7 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/30/2004
Offline
4267 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007


JapS2438 wrote:
How does this sound? The allusion is referring to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty in Roman mythology.



That seems a little redundant.
"The allusion is referring to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty." sounds better.
Meister Gear Solid
Message 8 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/15/2005
Offline
3748 posts
 

Re: Can someone help me with just one quick question?

May 1, 2007


chickenmeister wrote:


JapS2438 wrote:
How does this sound? The allusion is referring to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty in Roman mythology.



That seems a little redundant.
"The allusion is referring to Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty." sounds better.


Yeah, you're right.


Message 9 of 9 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes