MVP Support
13467 posts

Re: Can Video Games Make You Smarter?

Jan 23, 2014

Depending on which game I am playing, it can be beneficial to increase my intelligence and hand and eye coordination.

Playstation Support Phone Number
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Message 11 of 19 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Jan 23, 2014
then they say you why you too harsh? this idiot is acting like he discovered america, video games don't make you smarter, when you do practice something you do get better at what you practice and that includes anything like reading a book or playing chess, it stimulate your brain because it makes you think, this idiot is with the notion that most gamer are just wothless addict, It pisses the **bleep** out of me, this are the sort of people that are living outside of reality and think life it's a peace of cake, if you don't susceed then it's your fault and that's your fault if you didn't become rich, guess what, not everyone is barack obama cousin and not everyone was born with rich mom and dad, my brother hates video games and it didn't stop him from getting a college degree, I guess using facebook 24/7 or playing baseball helped him, He doesn't get called interview after interview, I'm not him but I hate the fact there are idiots making more money than him just because there companies owner family members or hot chicks, the one on the video is probably one of those and why does he violent, lazy and a waste of time? the debate rage on for years? do you work for the nsa or something trying to persuade people on youtube with your stupidity, I hate this type of idiots with this mentality, I just can't handle it.
Message 12 of 19 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Zorrillo90 wrote:
then they say you why you too harsh? this idiot is acting like he discovered america, video games don't make you smarter, when you do practice something you do get better at what you practice and that includes anything like reading a book or playing chess, it stimulate your brain because it makes you think, this idiot is with the notion that most gamer are just wothless addict, It pisses the **bleep** out of me, this are the sort of people that are living outside of reality and think life it's a peace of cake, if you don't susceed then it's your fault and that's your fault if you didn't become rich, guess what, not everyone is barack obama cousin and not everyone was born with rich mom and dad, my brother hates video games and it didn't stop him from getting a college degree, I guess using facebook 24/7 or playing baseball helped him, He doesn't get called interview after interview, I'm not him but I hate the fact there are idiots making more money than him just because there companies owner family members or hot chicks, the one on the video is probably one of those and why does he violent, lazy and a waste of time? the debate rage on for years? do you work for the nsa or something trying to persuade people on youtube with your stupidity, I hate this type of idiots with this mentality, I just can't handle it.

Forget to take your Haldol or Valium there buddy? lol

But yes they can absolutely make you smarter,i watched a program a while back where they had this pretty simple driving game and overall brain activity increased in the elderly and even showed to slow down the progression of alzeimers.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 13 of 19 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jan 23, 2014

In my opinion, gaming teaches a lot of things. And not just hand-eye coordination or focus. 

Many games teaches different ideas, themes and morals. Some teaches loss and different ways to cope with it. (don't act like Twisted Metal now) Multiplayer games teaches teamwork as well as defending yourself against other people, especially verbally if they got a mic. And some games teach that emotions like love and sorrow are things that we must experiance in life; it's like some games teach human emotions in ways that real people can't do.

This is just a stretch here. But if we didn't have gaming, we would have these communities that we learn and share with each other. Every day, I learn at least something new here.

When my father sees me playing on my PS3 or typing on my laptop, he thinks it's just me slacking off. But I'm actually learning and knowing a lot more than he would think.

Message 14 of 19 (169 Views)
MVP Support
12461 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

I think video games keep your mind active. They are interactive pieces of entertainment that encourage players to think about their decisions (e.g., where to move their characters, where to move the camera, and which buttons to press at which moments). This is missing from other less interactive forms of entertainment. I will never see video games as a waste of time. Sitting around watching television on the other hand? Well that’s another topic...

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 15 of 19 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11295 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

I think they can make people smarter, but to a certain degree, half of what the video says most gamers don't do, like surgery and that kinda of stuff.

And it really depends on the person and how they think, if you're a player who trash talks a lot and play CoD all day (not trying to bash CoD series), then video games won't make you smarter.

Oh and that blue dot test, i got all three right. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1102 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

I've played games all my life and been pretty smart all my life.  For the most part.  I do believe it was my love for racing games that taught me how to drive.  When I was a teen, I went in and aced my drivers test first time, with no prior experience.  I thank Gran Turismo and GTA games for that lol 

And of course if you're playing puzzle games, or educational games, or a historical game of sorts...sure, it can make u smarter. Every time you learn something about anything, you get smarter.  

~~~~~~~~~ Show No Fear - Fortune Favors The Bold! ~~~~~~~~~
Message 17 of 19 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54781 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Depending on the game, sure.

exactly, it depends on the game.

Speak and Spell anyone?

Message 18 of 19 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3627 posts

Jan 23, 2014

It all depends on the game, but I know for sure it can and for most, does contribute to faster reaction time.

Also, Tetris helped me with packing in so many ways haha.

Message 19 of 19 (123 Views)