Treasure Hunter
9066 posts

Re: CALLING ALL BASSISTS!

Dec 10, 2006

DarkSeeker wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:
if you got a lot of money, get an upright, it sounds awesome! but not many bands usem..
i got a regular bass guitar, but i havent used it for a while

Haha, I don't know any bands that use an upright.  It's more classical I think, and costs like, $2000.  I don't play bass, but I know a lot of people that do, it's a cool instrument.

The bassist from Sublime played an upright!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 11 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10564 posts

Dec 10, 2006
Well, bass is very easy if you already know how to play the guitar IMO.  BTW, I play the drums. Smiley Tongue
Message 12 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9066 posts

Dec 10, 2006

LBC_DEMON wrote:
If you play guitar you already know how to play base. There is really nothing to learn if you already know guitars.Smiley Happy

Yeah, I have no doubt I can play one... but the anatomy of a bass is different from a guitar, and there are a few other different things

I just wanted to get a little advice from bassists!
Message 13 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7422 posts

Dec 10, 2006

Pavo Loco wrote:

LBC_DEMON wrote:
If you play guitar you already know how to play base. There is really nothing to learn if you already know guitars.Smiley Happy

Yeah, I have no doubt I can play one... but the anatomy of a bass is different from a guitar, and there are a few other different things

Hmm Well I am a drummer, guitarist and bassist so I just suggest you know your scales and bass will be easy.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9066 posts

Dec 11, 2006

LBC_DEMON wrote:

Pavo Loco wrote:

LBC_DEMON wrote:

Hmm Well I am a drummer, guitarist and bassist so I just suggest you know your scales and bass will be easy.

Do you like the bass as well as the guitar?
Message 15 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7422 posts

Dec 11, 2006

Pavo Loco wrote:

Do you like the bass as well as the guitar?

Sure. I think I like playing bass a little more. I always wanted to have a bass when I was young. My dad told me that getting a guitar was better. I didn't believe him but he eventually got me an electric guitar. I am glad that he made that decision for me because he was absolutely correct. Once I learned guitar I knew how to play bass. If I would have started with bass and then picked up a guitar I wouldn't know how to work a guitar.

I think I like playing bass a little more because I like the rythmn that comes with it. It excentuates both the guitar and the drums when playing together so it encompasses quite a bit of a song.
Photobucket
Message 16 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9066 posts

Dec 11, 2006
Hey, I really know nothing about the bass, but I'm going to buy a bass guitar!

I may hate it, I may love it!  But, should I get a 5 string?

Besides the extra string, is there any difference?

Also, the fifth string, is it a higher string or lower string?

On a 7 string guitar, it's an extra low string, and on an 8 string guitar it has a extra low string and an extra high string!

Should I get a 5 string, or just wait until I'm more experienced?
Message 17 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Dec 11, 2006
I play bass. Don't use a pick. If you do, make sure it's as thick as you can get it. People say to not use your thumb, don't listen to them. Works great when playing notes on the E cord. With electric, you use a pick. So you'll have to get used to using your bare fingers. Use your thumb, index, and middle finger on your striking hand, and on your sliding hand, it's all up to you. I like to use mostly my index and middle finger, and my thumb when playing the E cord. Pick up a cheap Fender. Good luck.
A True Game's Nation
gamernationunderground.i67.org
Message 18 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Dec 11, 2006

LBC_DEMON wrote:

Yeah. Whatever the hell that means. Bass is totally different.
A True Game's Nation
gamernationunderground.i67.org
Message 19 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9066 posts

Dec 11, 2006

Bill from RI wrote:

LBC_DEMON wrote:

Yeah. Whatever the hell that means. Bass is totally different.

mmm... I've heard that from a million people though!

my dad's friend, who kind of taught me to play guitar, plays guiat, bass, mandolin, banjo, violin, cello, drums, and a lot others I cant remember... and he said if you can play guitar, you already know how to play bass, but you just don't realize it!
Message 20 of 42 (0 Views)
0 Likes