Jul 19 2013
By: johngie Ghost of Sparta 11942 posts

Boston Bomber on Rolling Stone cover

[ Edited ]
35 replies 259 views Edited Jul 19, 2013

So I'm making the assumption that this is a big deal in the States, seeing as how it made it's way onto a local radio station here in Canada as their topic of the night.

So what do you think about one of the Boston bombers being on the cover of Rolling Stone? There are a number of people who are outraged, and lots of different viewpoints. Some see it as being disrespectful to the victims of the attack, others think it's a conspiracy.

In the past Rolling Stone has also put Osama Bin Laden, Charles Manson, and George W. Bush on their covers, so I see this as them following the precedent they have already set.

One point I heard on the raadio that sounded somewhat true is the fact that with print media currently on the decline, this is a ploy for attention. If there's any truth to that, then...it's working.

Here's Rolling Stone's statement:

Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day.

The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens."

Edit: In light of this, new pictures from the manhunt have been released.

http://imgur.com/a/yFRgC?gallery 

rolling-stone-magazine-Jahar-Tsarnaev-boston-bomber-cover.jpg

Message 1 of 36 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2670 posts

Re: Boston Bomber on Rolling Stone cover

Jul 19, 2013

I think its a really stupid move by Rolling Stones.  I don't care what they say, they ARE glamourizing this terrorist by using that picture of him.  Its like saying "Hey future and potential terrorists out there.  Wanna be a pop icon? You can end up on our cover!"

Like thanks rolling stones for feeding the ego's of sick people... Smiley Indifferent  **bleep** media these days...

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 2 of 36 (240 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

I think its a really stupid move by Rolling Stones.  I don't care what they say, they ARE glamourizing this terrorist by using that picture of him.  Its like saying "Hey future and potential terrorists out there.  Wanna be a pop icon? You can end up on our cover!"

Like thanks rolling stones for feeding the ego's of sick people... Smiley Indifferent  **bleep** media these days...

How is this any different from his face being plastered across the front page of every newspaper across the continent, not to mention the newstations?

This isn't glamourizing anything, IMO. He's not sitting on a throne, wearing shutter sunglasses, surrounded by beautiful women, throwing money in the air, drinking champagne, with #YOLO #SWAG everywhere on the cover. It's a picture...of him.

Message 3 of 36 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
776 posts

Jul 19, 2013

What is the difference of the bomber's picture on the front page of newspapers and on the tv for days? I have not read the article, but for the cover they are not glorfying him, afterall they call him a monster, which he is.  What I find a bit distasteful is this article...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=203032224

Humans ...we are so fickle.

original
Message 4 of 36 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9261 posts

Jul 19, 2013

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 5 of 36 (219 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2013

Rolling stone has lost all respet they once had as a legitimate magizine, they're basically like "people" now just slightly tilted toward people that like rock, but not even then really.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 6 of 36 (207 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Jul 19, 2013

I say the guy needs to be put into prison after being thoroughly questioned. No parole. Nothing. Just life in a prison where he can rot thinking about all the things his extremist group told him he would get in Paradise. He gives a terrible image for Muslims everywhere.

I think blasting his image evreywhere is only furthering the problem. 

Also, the people protesting his trial need to just stop. They are stupid conspiracy theorsits with nothing to keep themselves busy. The guy will have his trial, go to prison for life, etc. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 7 of 36 (199 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5157 posts

Jul 19, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

I say the guy needs to be put into prison after being thoroughly questioned. No parole. Nothing. Just life in a prison where he can rot thinking about all the things his extremist group told him he would get in Paradise. He gives a terrible image for Muslims everywhere.

I think blasting his image evreywhere is only furthering the problem. 

Also, the people protesting his trial need to just stop. They are stupid conspiracy theorsits with nothing to keep themselves busy. The guy will have his trial, go to prison for life, etc. 

What he did was a terrible thing, however, our country allows everyone a fair trial. 

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 8 of 36 (196 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2013

Are...are you talking to me? And why did you try and post your trophy card separate from your sig?

Because it's still broken XD

edit to remove quote

Message 9 of 36 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jul 19, 2013

People still read magizines?

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 10 of 36 (193 Views)
0 Likes