Nov 05 2011
By: BRIT-KO MVP Support 41729 posts

Bonfire Night Childhood Memories.

9 replies 170 views Edited Nov 5, 2011

My Bonfire Night Memories...

As some of you already know I am originally from the UK, but reside in America & have done so for some years now, there are a number of things that I miss about my home country & anyway last night I was thinking back around 30 years or so when I was 13 or 14 years old to November 5th, a day commonly known in the UK as Bonfire Night, but more correctly called Guy Fawkes Night.

imgres-1.jpeg

Guy (Guido) Fawkes

For those of you that don't know Guy (Guido) Fawkes originally fought for the Spanish & belonged to a group of Catholics, he was credited with trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament, in 1605 he & his cohorts tried in vain to demolish an area below the House of Lords, their intent was to return a Catholic to the Throne of England, he died in 1606, jumping from the scaffold breaking his neck.

On this day 30 years ago, & for the few days leading up to today I, along with some friends would have found an old babies pram (stroller to you lol) & in it would have been a "Guy", he would have been wearing an old shirt or sweater of my Dad's, some old socks & shoes, a cap, hat or baseball cap maybe & my friends & I would have been stuffed with how shall I out it, anything flammable lol, straw, anything really, anyway after we made our "Guy" we would have wandered around our local town with him asking people for a few pennies to pay for some baking potatoes were to were to later cook on the bonfire.

All the time this was going on & in the days leading up to November 5th we would have also been collecting any wood we could find, from the smallest piece to the biggest, any size, it didn't matter a bit, & out the back where we all lived there was a central grass mound, this is where we would construct our bonfire, it would be triangular in shape & we were always very proud of our work, come "Bonfire Night' we would take our "Guy" we had been wheeling around for a week & place him on top of the bonfire, then once it was dark, we each took a match & stood in a circle around the bonfire, at the count of 3 we each lit a small area & watched as the flames took hold & eventually rose higher & higher until they reached our "Guy", looking back it seemed huge all those years ago, but the bonfire was maybe 10 or 15 feet tall if we were lucky.

imgres.jpeg

A typical Bonfire.

Once the bonfire took hold we would take our pototoes, which were already wrapped in foil & place them in a small area of the bonfire, we left them to cook, sometimes for too long, but if I remember correctle they tasted delicious, but were probably all burnt & singed, but hey, we were kids, we didn't care!

As kids we loved "Bonfire Night", it was one of the few nights we were allowed to stay up late, but eventually our parents would call for us, we always shouted back "10 more minutes Mum", we got away with that once, twice maybe!, once back home we would wash/shower, get rid of the "smell", a smell, a smell I can smell very clearly now, I loved that smell & then go to bed, but not before looking out of my bedroom window one more time to see the last of the flames die down & eventually lead to just smoke, even in the morning the first thing I did was look out & see if it was still alinght, usualy there was just a little smoke, our once proud 10 or 15 foot tall bonfire was reduced to smouldering ashes, but we had a great night.

Thanks for reading &, Happy Bonfire/Guy Fawkes night everyone.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 1 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3002 posts

Re: Bonfire Night Childhood Memories.

Nov 5, 2011

I love this post. I love Guy Fawkes night. I lived in Scotland for awhile and remember the insane amount of fireworks that night.

My parents are Scottish too, and my mom always speaks fondly of bonfire night and the jacket potatoes!

It's a lovely, uniquely British thing and I like that it still continues to this day, all of the UK!

Message 2 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
429 posts

Nov 5, 2011

I'm with you BRIT-KO This is my favorite British Holiday!

I used to love the smell of fireworks all over the city (where ever we were at the time). My fiance is English so I have experienced a fair few Guy Fawkes Nights! I've lived all over England, but my favorite was by far in Enfield Town Park - great display and fun atmosphere! I wonder if they still do a good Guy Fawkes Night?!

***Happy BonFire Night BRIT-KO (And all our British community members!)

article-0-07192A26000005DC-525_468x489.jpg

I really miss it! If anyone gets any great Bonfire Night photos - post 'em! I'd love to see! 

Message 3 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41729 posts

Nov 5, 2011

Thanks Cardinal, I was hoping some of you "guys" on here would find it both interesting & maybe a little funny too, those times bring back find memoires for me.

On a side note many years ago I spent a very drunken Burns Night in Scotland, however my memories of that one are somewhat fuzzy shall we say!

Message 4 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41729 posts

Nov 5, 2011

Here you go BluMorpho!

Feature image

Enfield Fireworks Display

Get your ooohs and your aaahs ready for the Enfield fireworks display as the much-loved event returns for yet another year to Enfield Town. This is a real favourite for those in North London so if you’re anywhere near EN2, then head down to the park and enjoy what looks set to be another great Enfield fireworks display, courtesy of the hard-working and community minded Scouts.

Perfect winter warmer
There are few better ways to cope with the end of the summer and the advent of those cold, winter nights, than the fizzing of fireworks and the Enfield fireworks display has been warming the cockles of North Londoners for over thirty years now. And even if you get bored you can make sure you’re kept entertained as there’s a large funfair there too, ensuring that the thrills won’t just be confined to what’s happening up in the cool night sky.

A night to remember
If past years are anything to go by then this year’s fireworks display should be a good one. Previous years have seen many of the denizens of Enfield, and those further afield, heading to a display that’s a firm favourite amongst many families north of the river.

The Enfield Town scouts
The Enfield fireworks display is put on by the Enfield Scouts and is a great family-friendly affair that continues to be a traditional must for anyone in the area. The whole event kicks off in Enfield Town Park on Cecil Road at 6pm, with the display itself starting at 7.30pm. Tickets are just £6.00 for adults and £4.00 for children.

The Enfield fireworks display takes place at Enfield Town Park, Cecil Road, Enfield at 6pm on Saturday 5th November 2011. Fireworks begin at 7.30pm.

Calendar 2011

Event Information

When: Saturday 5th November 2011

Display: 19:30

Where: Enfield Town Park

Admission: Adults £6.00, children £4.00

Message 5 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Nov 5, 2011

Great post, BRIT-KO.

Would you mind indulging the curiousity of an ignorant American by answering a question?

I know very little of Guy Fawkes. In fact, I'm fairly certain that my first exposure comes from V for Vendetta. Since then I've learned the story, but what confuses me is the why of the matter. Why do the good folks of the British Isles celebrate a man who attempted an act of terrorism against the British Government or is it rather a celebration of his failure?

Message 6 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41729 posts

Nov 5, 2011

taker-77 wrote:

Great post, BRIT-KO.

Would you mind indulging the curiousity of an ignorant American by answering a question?

I know very little of Guy Fawkes. In fact, I'm fairly certain that my first exposure comes from V for Vendetta. Since then I've learned the story, but what confuses me is the why of the matter. Why do the good folks of the British Isles celebrate a man who attempted an act of terrorism against the British Government or is it rather a celebration of his failure?

Photobucket

Thank you,

The "V" for Vendetta part made me laugh because one or two of the occupy Wall Street protestors have taken to wearing Guy Fawkes masks, I'm assuming they mean it in the sense that Guy Fawkes was trying to bring down the British Government in the same way that the protestors although not wanting ot bring it down as such would certainly like changes!

As for why it's celebrated, the easiest & probably simpliest way to explain it is to say that it's a way for the British people to remind the rest of thw world how to defend England from traitors, at the time, 400 years ago it was especially meant towards Catholics who were in some people's eyes disloyal to the Throne.

Message 7 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
429 posts

Nov 5, 2011

OMG! Its still there! Good find!

Man, I wish I could be there! Go Enfield Scouts you guys rock & your put on a great fireworks night! If there are any Brits near Enfield... that's a great display!

They used to even have vendor out there with hotdogs and chips! Mmmm!

fireworksAL2210_468x312.jpg

Message 8 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Nov 5, 2011

sounds pretty cool. in detroit we have bonfires too, they are called riots.

Message 9 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Nov 5, 2011

Thanks BRIT-KO, I think I get it.

@DetroitTigersFan -

Message 10 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes