Fender Bender
4295 posts

Re: Big Three being sued for another Patent Infringment? :|

Jan 11, 2007

Carmaster wrote:
You know that Ford, GM, and Dodge are also referred to as the "Big Three", right?
Also, if all three companies are being sued, why didn't they sue Microsoft earlier? The 360 came out almost 2 years ago.

*Sigh*  Can't you read the articles?

From Kotaku:

Game controllers seem to be lawsuit magnets. First Immersion sues Microsoft and Sony for the use of patented rumble technology, and now a company called Fenner Investments from Texas claims that the aforementioned plus Nintendo have willfully infringed on their controller related patent. The company does indeed hold a patent on a low voltage joystick port similar to what you'd find on the GameCube, Xbox, and PS2, so it should be interesting to see how this all plays out for the big three.

So how does an investment company end up with the patent on such a prolific device? It's most likely a case of patent trolling, where companies actively search for something widely used and unpatented, then sue the people who are using it once the patent goes through. The patent in question was filed in 1998 and awarded in 2001, and I am pretty sure such ports were in use before then.

Steve Bryant at Google Watch did some digging and discovered that Fenner Investments had also sued various cell phone companies over a patent they hold on "a method and apparatus for managing a communications network for mobile users." Yep, low-life patent trolls.

Another day, another lawsuit. This one comes from Fenner Investments, a Texas-based corporation, which on Friday Jan. 5 sued Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, alleging the companies were infringing on a patent for a low-voltage joystick port interface.

Fenner claims (download the lawsuit here) that each company is infringing on patent 6,297,751, which describes a low-voltage joystick port interface. The patent was filed in 1998 and awarded in 2001. The abstract for the patent reads:

The joystick port interface includes an integrated circuit receiving an analog joystick position measurement signal and outputting a digital pulse signal to a processor which signifies a joystick coordinate value. The integrated circuit includes a pulse generator and a bidirectional buffer circuit. The bidirectional buffer circuit receives the analog joystick position measurement signal and selectively discharges an RC network capacitor which provides this analog measurement. This implementation provides a joystick port which uses low-voltage CMOS VLSI structures which can interface a conventional high-voltage joystick with the processor.

So what's the story about Fenner Investments? I don't have any special knowledge, but a quick search on previous lawsuits reveals that the company has been involved in at least one other multiparty lawsuit against major corporations, including against Juniper Networks, Nokia, Cisco, Alcatel and Ericsson for infringement on patent 5,561,706, which is nothing less than "a method and apparatus for managing a communications network for mobile users." The suit against Alcatel was dismissed with prejudice last May, and a motion to compel financial information from Juniper was denied in July.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 11, 2007

Carmaster wrote:
You know that Ford, GM, and Dodge are also referred to as the "Big Three", right?
Also, if all three companies are being sued, why didn't they sue Microsoft earlier? The 360 came out almost 2 years ago.

:smileyvery-happy:  I thought about that too.  Maybe they decided to hold out and get all 3 at once.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4565 posts

Jan 11, 2007

-Zaku- wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  I thought about that too.  Maybe they decided to hold out and get all 3 at once.

like i said.../$$
only reason to hold out
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Jan 11, 2007
I'm going to sue all 3 companies because they use controllers instead of joysticks and I started the controller trend but yet they did without my permission.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9036 posts

Jan 11, 2007
So **bleep**in sick of stupid companies I've never heard of suing companies like SONY, MS, and Nintendo. Damn, people still sue over a damn controller? If people couldn't reuse ideas, IBM would still be the only computer making company. Windows would be the only OS. People seriously have to chill out.
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4599 posts

Jan 11, 2007
*yawn*  More get rich quick scheme losers trying to catch the crumbs off the tables of more successful people.  Pathetic.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1898 posts

Jan 11, 2007
funny how the patent is filed in 1998 after conosle had been using it for 15 years, joystickport.

Message Edited by C.I.W on 01-10-2007 10:02 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Jan 11, 2007

doomerOFhell wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

*Sigh*  Can't you read the articles?

From Kotaku:

Game controllers seem to be lawsuit magnets. First Immersion sues Microsoft and Sony for the use of patented rumble technology, and now a company called Fenner Investments from Texas claims that the aforementioned plus Nintendo have willfully infringed on their controller related patent. The company does indeed hold a patent on a low voltage joystick port similar to what you'd find on the GameCube, Xbox, and PS2, so it should be interesting to see how this all plays out for the big three.

So how does an investment company end up with the patent on such a prolific device? It's most likely a case of patent trolling, where companies actively search for something widely used and unpatented, then sue the people who are using it once the patent goes through. The patent in question was filed in 1998 and awarded in 2001, and I am pretty sure such ports were in use before then.

Steve Bryant at Google Watch did some digging and discovered that Fenner Investments had also sued various cell phone companies over a patent they hold on "a method and apparatus for managing a communications network for mobile users." Yep, low-life patent trolls.

Another day, another lawsuit. This one comes from Fenner Investments, a Texas-based corporation, which on Friday Jan. 5 sued Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, alleging the companies were infringing on a patent for a low-voltage joystick port interface.

Fenner claims (download the lawsuit here) that each company is infringing on patent 6,297,751, which describes a low-voltage joystick port interface. The patent was filed in 1998 and awarded in 2001. The abstract for the patent reads:

The joystick port interface includes an integrated circuit receiving an analog joystick position measurement signal and outputting a digital pulse signal to a processor which signifies a joystick coordinate value. The integrated circuit includes a pulse generator and a bidirectional buffer circuit. The bidirectional buffer circuit receives the analog joystick position measurement signal and selectively discharges an RC network capacitor which provides this analog measurement. This implementation provides a joystick port which uses low-voltage CMOS VLSI structures which can interface a conventional high-voltage joystick with the processor.

So what's the story about Fenner Investments? I don't have any special knowledge, but a quick search on previous lawsuits reveals that the company has been involved in at least one other multiparty lawsuit against major corporations, including against Juniper Networks, Nokia, Cisco, Alcatel and Ericsson for infringement on patent 5,561,706, which is nothing less than "a method and apparatus for managing a communications network for mobile users." The suit against Alcatel was dismissed with prejudice last May, and a motion to compel financial information from Juniper was denied in July.

Sorry. I was doing a homework assignment while I read this thread.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes