Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 12 2013
By: userusb Fender Bender 3526 posts

Being "mesmerized" by video games

11 replies 155 views Edited Oct 12, 2013

Earlier today I was thinking about when I was a little kid and I remember being completely fascinated with video games. For instance, I remember playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64 and it was just so amazing. Getting the Master Sword for the first time, becoming an adult Link and stepping into Hyrule which was different from Young Link's Hyrule was just so awesome. This also applies to other systems and games as well such as Donkey Kong, GTA San Andreas, Pokemon, Mario, PS2 games, PS1 games, and many more.

One of the earliest memories I have of playing a video game was when I was maybe 4 years old. I was playing Super Mario or some 2D Mario game for the Super Nintendo (or some other Nintendo console) and I found it so exciting, interesting and breathtaking. I mostly relate to Nintendo games because they were the very first games I played, I didn't play any PS game until I was about 7 years old.

Today, this doesn't really happen as much anymore. It's probably because I'm older but whatever. :smileytongue:

Can any of you think back to when you first played video games? Did you have similar experiences? If you don't, do you remember what you thought? I'm interested to hear your stories. :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 12 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16974 posts

Re: Being "mesmerized" by video games

Oct 12, 2013

Basically all of my PS1 days.

Never had the thought entered into my head that "this game is bad" (well perhaps once)

Never did I cynicaly sit back and say "well, ya these are how the mechanics work, and this is how to exploit it" 

Never did I worry about what someone 10,000 miles away was achieving...

It was just play..

The age we live in is bitter-sweet. Gaming is morbidly competitive if you allow it to be, and as someone gets older, it typically robs the magic away from basically everything.

Message 2 of 12 (152 Views)
Last Guardian
11200 posts

Oct 12, 2013
Because when you were young anything would amaze you, you were new to this world, you had no idea what to expect.

Message 3 of 12 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3526 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Basically all of my PS1 days.

Never had the thought entered into my head that "this game is bad" (well perhaps once)

Never did I cynicaly sit back and say "well, ya these are how the mechanics work, and this is how to exploit it" 

Never did I worry about what someone 10,000 miles away was achieving...

It was just play..

The age we live in is bitter-sweet. Gaming is morbidly competitive if you allow it to be, and as someone gets older, it typically robs the magic away from basically everything.

Magic was the word I was looking for. :smileyvery-happy:

I understand what you mean and completely agree with you.

Back in the N64 days, gaming could be competitive. You could play local multiplayer DK64 or Mario Party but in my opinion it was more about having fun and less about winning. I can't think of any time when I played those games and saying to myself, "aw man, I didn't win." or, "I want to win!". It was all about having a good time. I'm not saying you can't do this today but I find that many games made in this generation are about winning. I think almost any multiplayer game shows this. This is a reason I somewhat dislike multiplayer. I find it too competitive and as a result, I don't have that much fun. This is why when I play multiplayer, I enjoy playing co-op or with a bunch of people I know, it makes it so much more enjoyable.

I hope there'll be a game that comes out that will "bring" the magic back, if that makes sense. I enjoy games today, but honestly, I don't love them as I used to.

Message 4 of 12 (137 Views)
Survivor
2430 posts

Oct 12, 2013

I think the first time I was "mesmerized" by gaming is pretty recent.  Due to having access to Youtube and live streams now.  I've played fighters since I started gaming.

Just watching tournament streams and youtube videos, I've seen people play the games like never before.  I remember getting "mind blown" by seeing all of the Tekken "juggles" and infinites.  I never knew it was possible before.  Just watching people play Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I'm seeing new combo's and strategies everytime still to this day.

Also, watching speed runs on Youtube is crazy for me.  I like watching speed runs. Especially Mega Man ones.

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 5 of 12 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Oct 12, 2013
Message 6 of 12 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 12, 2013

I actually can't remember my first videogame. According to my mom, I was still in diapers and I was completely, as you already stated in the title, mesmerized. The same thing happened to my brother when we got our PS1. Videogames actually skewed my perspective of my brother's age when we were living in Washington because, at age three, he was so much better at videogames than I was. We were perfectly content sitting at watching each other play. We treated games like The Legend of Dragoon (and later, some of the Final Fantasy series) as 2 or 3 player games during the battles and took turns walking around. And when the dialogue was text when we were little, I would read it out loud to him and that habit went on long after he himself learned to read. I remember when we pronounced "relic" as "ree-lick." I will never live that down...

Oh, nostalgia. I miss those days. I need to get my brother over here sometime so we can play Legend of Dragoon.

Message 7 of 12 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1393 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Super Metroid for SNES.

The definition of Terror.

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Message 8 of 12 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
666 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 12, 2013

I don't remember my first game, I know it had to be Sonic but I dont recall my reaction. I do remember being blown away by Mario 64 as that was my first 3D game.

The latest one that really blew me away was Uncharted 2. It was the first PS3 game I ever played and it was the most amazing action experience I had ever come across and it alone made me finally get a PS3.

Message 9 of 12 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Face of the WWE
5971 posts

Oct 12, 2013

The good days

StH

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 10 of 12 (61 Views)
0 Likes