Do you mean 
Aug 27 2007
By: bigslam123 I Only Post Everything 1128 posts

Article Explains Plasma over LCD

16 replies 6 views Edited Aug 27, 2007

Saturday, 25 August 2007
Page 2 of 2

Common reasons cited for picking LCD over Plasma

LCD flat panel proponents typically cite four reasons for choosing an LCD flat panel over a plasma display panel. We examine each argument individually and find there is little if any truth to them.

LCDs don’t suffer from burn-in – “burn in” or permanent image retention is the number one reason why LCD is often touted as being superior to plasma. While "burn-in" can occur in modern plasmas, the effect is temporary. In a 48-hour torture test, research group IDC, in partnership with Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), tested three plasma TVs and burned in clearly visible images from a game menu. Once they created burn-in, regular video material (a DVD movie set to continuously loop) was played through the sets for 24 hours and the image completely disappeared from all three plasmas, leaving no trace.

The researchers concluded that unlike early generation plasmas, where those type of images would not go away and could actually "burn" onto the screen, modern plasma TVs enjoy a combination of more robust screen materials and subtle image-shifting technologies that have rendered this issue moot.

Lower power consumption - the statement that LCD panels, of the same size, use less electricity than plasma is a fallacy. Since an LCD is backlit with a light that is on all the time, the power consumption of an LCD panel is constant. With plasma, the amount of electricity is variable because each glass bubble is turned off and on depending on what is happening onscreen. If every bubble is turned on (a rare situation) then a plasma display does use more electricity. Since most bubbles are not turned on at all times, the average power consumption of a plasma and LCD panel (of the same size) is almost equal.

LCDs last longer –the half-life of most plasma display panels is 60,000 hours. The half-life is the estimated amount of time you would need to spend watching television until the panel brightness was reduced in half. A 60,000 half-life equates to 6 hours of television viewing per day for 10,000 days or 27.4 years. Research has shown that LCD panels may last slightly longer than plasma; however, we doubt you’ll bother keeping any television for 28 years! In case you’re wondering, the average half life of a traditional tube television purchased in the last twenty years is about 30,000 hours.

LCD superior in brighter rooms – simply speaking plasma is glass with white phosphors behind it. The result is that a mirror effect can take place when extremely bright light shines on plasma. This mirror effect can make it more difficult to see the images on the screen under extremely bright situations. This situation often occurs inside a big box retailer’s showroom which can be as much as five times brighter than a typical living room! In your average living room where the ambient light level is much lower there is little need for a “brighter” panel.

PSN ID: BIGSLAM123

Gotta Catch Em All!! PS3 PSP XBOX360 Wii DS Lite GBA Owner
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
618 posts

Re: Article Explains Plasma over LCD

Aug 27, 2007
Yeah, everyone knows this stuff already.
I don't care when you got your PS3, how many hours you spent in line for it, or what games you have... even a little.

Sorry.. no shoddily-maintained gamercard here either.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
366 posts

Aug 27, 2007
Nice article.  I have a plasma and love it.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
807 posts

Aug 27, 2007

BigSlam1234 wrote:

LCD superior in brighter rooms – simply speaking plasma is glass with white phosphors behind it. The result is that a mirror effect can take place when extremely bright light shines on plasma. This mirror effect can make it more difficult to see the images on the screen under extremely bright situations. This situation often occurs inside a big box retailer’s showroom which can be as much as five times brighter than a typical living room! In your average living room where the ambient light level is much lower there is little need for a “brighter” panel.

I never had a plasma , but I do own a LCD and let me tell you how true this is. The Sharp Aquos is great in a room where it will be bright with almost no reflect. I HATED my old tube TV when it was mid afternoon and the living room in my house and the sun would light it up. had issues seeing the screen and could not play any games. Now no issues at all and I love my LCD TV 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1126 posts

Aug 27, 2007

all3aregreat wrote:

BigSlam1234 wrote:

I never had a plasma , but I do own a LCD and let me tell you how true this is. The Sharp Aquos is great in a room where it will be bright with almost no reflect. I HATED my old tube TV when it was mid afternoon and the living room in my house and the sun would light it up. had issues seeing the screen and could not play any games. Now no issues at all and I love my LCD TV 

Some are the opposite however, it's depends if the screen has that 'matte' finish.  My Samsung 4665 tv uses the old style screen where it's fairly reflective in brighter areas.  The reason to include this was to make the colors more vibrant.  That being said I knew this when buying my TV and the room it's in is usually always dark so it doesn't affect me.  But yes LCD TVs with the matte screen will look good in a bright room.

PS3: DecoyMantis (add me!)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Aug 27, 2007
my lcd works great?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8557 posts

Aug 27, 2007
I'd still rather pay less for a LCD.  So LCD FTW!
|My Gaming Set-up| |GO CARDS, CAVS, & COWBOYS!|Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5733 posts

Aug 27, 2007

MuppetMeat wrote:
Yeah, everyone knows this stuff already.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
37 posts

Aug 27, 2007

holla812 wrote:

errr... actually Plasma's are cheaper. do your homework and get off the drugs.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8557 posts

Aug 27, 2007

Monkay wrote:

holla812 wrote:

errr... actually Plasma's are cheaper. do your homework and get off the drugs.

You let me know when you see a plamsa 32" or less...so ultimately...LCDs are cheaper since they offer more sizes.  Do your homework
|My Gaming Set-up| |GO CARDS, CAVS, & COWBOYS!|Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (6 Views)
0 Likes