Fender Bender
3576 posts

Re: Are you content with your time period?

Oct 9, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

I love my time period. Diseases are no longer killing everyone before the age of 12. I have enough food to the point where I can be fat if I want. I can use time-wasting entertainment like television and video games.

Personally, I see the future going 2 possible directions.

1. It will be one of the worst economic times to ever exist thanks to debt and many iffy politics. And the third world will get tired of it sooner or later. Pollution will get worse. Prices will skyrocket. And population will go even higher. This is all thanks to people entering into real industrial revolutions. They will get food and families will be fostered. Diseases will be eradicated which keeps all 10 of their children alive (which will eventually turn into fewer children per household, but that is post-industrial when large families are not good). Prices will go up as they demand proper wages and these producing economies turn into service economies. And pollution will get worse as the third world imitates the west and everyone begins owning a car. This is already evident in China.

2. It will be a time of great technological advances with the current status quo. People will still be in terrible positions elsewhere at the mercy of first world enterprise and demand. But the first world will continue to prosper for awhile with new powers emerging from producing economies like China and India. 

Sadly, I hate both options.

In response to #1.

Not all diseases will eradicated (in the near future). There are super-bugs which are resistant to all anti-biotics. One of these super-bugs just happens to be a species of Staphylococcus aureus, which can kill and has a fairly high mortality rate. As we continue to develop stronger anti-biotics, we will be eradicating the bacteria that are not resistant to them but there'll most likely be bacteria with or will develop resistance to it so the population will then have the genes for this resistance. We'll basically be directing the evolution of this particular species (among others) with our continued use and development of anti-biotics (which we've been doing ever since penicillin was allowed for public use, only the military could use it).

Message 21 of 26 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3099 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time and punch a caveman in the face.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 22 of 26 (99 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14299 posts

Oct 9, 2013

renatabls wrote:
I wish i wasn't born.

I would advise you give reasons after you post something so suicidal.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 23 of 26 (96 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14299 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

userusb wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

I love my time period. Diseases are no longer killing everyone before the age of 12. I have enough food to the point where I can be fat if I want. I can use time-wasting entertainment like television and video games.

Personally, I see the future going 2 possible directions.

1. It will be one of the worst economic times to ever exist thanks to debt and many iffy politics. And the third world will get tired of it sooner or later. Pollution will get worse. Prices will skyrocket. And population will go even higher. This is all thanks to people entering into real industrial revolutions. They will get food and families will be fostered. Diseases will be eradicated which keeps all 10 of their children alive (which will eventually turn into fewer children per household, but that is post-industrial when large families are not good). Prices will go up as they demand proper wages and these producing economies turn into service economies. And pollution will get worse as the third world imitates the west and everyone begins owning a car. This is already evident in China.

2. It will be a time of great technological advances with the current status quo. People will still be in terrible positions elsewhere at the mercy of first world enterprise and demand. But the first world will continue to prosper for awhile with new powers emerging from producing economies like China and India. 

Sadly, I hate both options.

In response to #1.

Not all diseases will eradicated (in the near future). There are super-bugs which are resistant to all anti-biotics. One of these super-bugs just happens to be a species of Staphylococcus aureus, which can kill and has a fairly high mortality rate. As we continue to develop stronger anti-biotics, we will be eradicating the bacteria that are not resistant to them but there'll most likely be bacteria with or will develop resistance to it so the population will then have the genes for this resistance. We'll basically be directing the evolution of this particular species (among others) with our continued use and development of anti-biotics (which we've been doing ever since penicillin was allowed for public use, only the military could use it).

I am well aware of super-bugs, but let's be more specific and clarify that these are super BACTERIAL diseases. Ya cannot catch a disease and have it become resistant, but viruses and bacteria can (namely bacteria because of people being stupid with bacterial problems and not taking the full antibiotics regiment). The only way to stop this is by educating the morons who stop their 10 day prescription after 5 days because the symptoms went away.

Luckily I do not see them becoming the danger that people often think. I think it is dangerous, but I know that they can still be countered with other antibiotics that have less resistance. Now the question would become "will they become resistant to those later?". All I have to say is that this is why I like my time period. I will hopefully die before they come to fruition!

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 24 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6478 posts

Oct 9, 2013
That's a good question OP
~Reported~
Message 25 of 26 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Oct 9, 2013

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
That's a good question OP

This is something I have been thinking about for years. Can never manage to get these thoughts out of my head. Probably because of my love for history and how I feel about this generation.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 26 of 26 (64 Views)
0 Likes