Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
5708 posts

Re: Anyone playing the Titanfall Beta? Thoughts? (PC/XB1)

Feb 16, 2014
Pc beta will be open today as well
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 11 of 17 (203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 20, 2014

—Overall opinion?

Holy smack!  Now that the Beta is closed for the time being, if not until the actual release, I have managed to pull myself away from it.  Rather I had no choice at this point.

I managed to pull myself to Level 14 within a couple of days playing.  I noticed only a few higher than that, so I feel I got about as much playing time in as most.

Overall, this game is flipping phenomenal.  I will address the specific questions next, but overall the graphics, speed (minus a few occasions of glitching, I might be attributing to a mid trial NVidia update to my cards), game play, and interaction is sick.

I had an enormous amount of fun customizing loadouts in both the pilots and Titans.  Additionally I spent a good deal of time experimenting with the Follow and AI modes while outside of the Titan.  The AI mode is great for the "conquest" games called Hardpoints, or something to that nature.  I was able to scope out buildings looking for enemies, while my Titan stood guard.

Follow mode was useful for long distance treks, while trying to remain unseen, with the option to jump into the big guy at a moments notice.

I do actually like the integration of Specters and Minions.  I noticed the KD is still tied to the interaction of Players still, leaving the honestly of actual kills to themselves, but allowing for gains in XP and points with fodder kills and take downs.

—What do you think of the game play mechanics?

The game play mechanics are spot on so far.  As I mentioned previously, the only skitching, phasing, and slowdowns I experienced were right after my NVidia's updated.  I can only assume, as it was a limited Beta, Respawn and EA were not too concerned with updated to the second on the changes made.  Perhaps, maybe even NVidia had a momentary lapse, not thinking about a Game yet to actually be released.  None the less, a little tweaking, and all the issues went away.

If I had one want, over anything though, it would be the absence of destructible environments, that I have come to love in Battlefield games.  One specific reason I abandoned COD for Battlefield.  I truly believe, as in reality, giving people limited refuge from an onslaught keeps the game moving, and reduces the camping a bit.  Titanfall could use a little more destructive environment, basically.

For this aspect, I cannot be sure if it is something they are adding to the final, but something tells me it is not.  Cest Le Vie.

—How are the maps?

Of course; in this limited Beta, the maps were small, but not too small.  I was pleased it was not what I refer to as the COD effect, where it seems like they put 60 people into a 10x10 room and yell GO!  The maps for now gave enough room for someone to maneuver, and discover tactical vantage points.  The ability to explore about 80percent of the structures; be it underground, through smashed sections, or wall climbing / boosting to the top of the highest tower, the maps (2 in all) gave plenty of options.

Moving in the Titan was not difficult in the maps either.  I only wish for the Titans, that they could leap a little, or at least climb to some degree.  Being stuck on a street in the Angel City Map, left the maneuverability to its biggest limitations.  I suppose I could chalk that up to the need for strategy while navigating the map.  It essentially left most people in the rounds I played, forgoing the T9itans after a while and fighting pilot to pilot.

—What do you think of the 6v6 player limit?

I have not seen anything to state the 6 Vs.... 6 will remain the standard.  I will assume this will expand once the full version comes out.  Let's be honest; developers Beta Testing a game, while looking for Load Results, might not want to intentionally crash a server.  6 on 6 with the Minions and Spectres worked just fine for me.  I would only ask if the Minions and Spectres were a little beefier.  I could stand nin front of one, getting laid into, and still be able to kill them.  Another Pilot though, I would find myself dead within a few, if not the first shot.  Why not make the AIs a little more challenging?  Maybe that is to come....

—Favorite game mode?

In Battlefield and COD (previously) I have always been a big fan of Conquest or Rush.  DM has never really been my favorite, until now.  I thoroughly enjoyed the "Attrition" mode.  I found leveling up faster, and the randomness of running around gave the rounds more excitement.  With the Hardpoints, one could wait for an enemy to come, or with strategic ease, sneak up on one.

Attrition, forced the player to use more stealth and tact.  One would think twice about just charging out of a doorway.  The boost jumping and wall walking were made more exciting this way as well.  Jumping up a building, walking down the other side, and surprising an enemy with a face full of lead has more joyous results than picking them off across a field.

—What do you think of the graphics? Does the 792p on XB1 matter?

Do not own, and would never buy an XBox.  I do, however, have a kick but Laptop.  I ran it with every setting maxed out.  1080 is fantastic, and the speed was flawless.  I would say, if I had an XB1 and could only get 792p... I would feel ripped off on this one.  As a PS3, not yet PS4 owner, I would say I was getting ripped by not having access to this game in any way.  I will spill on that in a second.

—Still want it on the PS4?

Want it on the PS4.... YOU SHOULD.  I am getting it for the CPU, so no biggie for me.  Just the same; Respawn's decision to go exclusive on this "First" installment, was a business decision.  Apparently, SONY, had little choice in the matter.

Being a Startup, as Respawn is, I can see why they are choosing to stay "small".  I am wondering, though, how much cash was flashed at them by MicroBucks to grab this puppy?  Did Sony get outbid, or was it a matter of choice on Repsawn's part?  I suppose, we, shall never know.

There has been plenty of press over the exclusivity choice of this game.  Favorites being played, or not, Sony is getting the rub on this.  There is a glimmer of hope, should the hype so far parlay into success for the title; any sequels are open game to all platforms.  Sony will never get Titanfall, but the next installment may find its way.

I can only hope, EA and whomever they pair with finds it in its business sense to offer a Kick A exclusive to Sony, sometime soon.  If not, there may be evidence for favoritism, or a large paycheck from MicroBucks.

I was going to link a bunch of articles about the subject, but from what I have read, I am sure a lot of you have read the same thing.

The game is, hands down, slated to be the best next gen game to start.  From what I have played so far, I am hooked.  I wait in baited anticipation for the actual release.  I intend to lose a lot of sleep for this one.  I am only sad Sony has not had the opportunity to play.

Moble

Message 12 of 17 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9804 posts

Feb 20, 2014
@Mobilesuit75

I read an article where the devs claimed the game will stay 6 vs 6. They started out with more but lowered it to 6 vs 6 to balance the gameplay. Whatever that might mean.
Message 13 of 17 (110 Views)
MVP Support
12248 posts

Feb 20, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@Mobilesuit75

I read an article where the devs claimed the game will stay 6 vs 6. They started out with more but lowered it to 6 vs 6 to balance the gameplay. Whatever that might mean.

What they did is they had a group of gamers test out the game.

They varied the amount of people in games (6v6, 8v8, 16v16, stuff like that) and the people responded most positively to 6v6.

And honestly, I dont mind 6v6 for this game. I'd hate to see more than 6 titans. You'd just be wrecked and everyone would lose their titans in seconds.

Also moblesuit, level 14 was the cap for the Beta.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 17 (102 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 21, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@Mobilesuit75

What they did is they had a group of gamers test out the game.

They varied the amount of people in games (6v6, 8v8, 16v16, stuff like that) and the people responded most positively to 6v6.

And honestly, I dont mind 6v6 for this game. I'd hate to see more than 6 titans. You'd just be wrecked and everyone would lose their titans in seconds.

Also moblesuit, level 14 was the cap for the Beta.

All good information.  Most of the articles, I read, dealt with the exclusivity.

I like the idea of 16 x 16, only if the maps are expanding.  6 x 6 wouldn't be very entertaining on a larger map but; 32 x 32 on Maps of the Beta's size would be outright redonk.  Based on what you both are saying though, there seems to be no intention of going that high.

Anyone know what the general size of the maps will be, in the finished product?  

I enjoy the expanse of BF Maps.  I would not be overly happy if the maps for Titanfall were all the same size as the Beta.  I'd definitely be interested in seeing more space.

The KD ratio is pinned to Player interaction, and does not account for AI kills.  This potentially eliminates some of the beefs people might have about the round size.  

I do like the interaction of the AIs.  They become a nice distraction, providing a cover, and limiting the effects of campers.  Their deaths only help XP and Scores, not the K portion of the KD.  A little twist perhaps, although AIs are not very adept at killing players.

I am selfishly happy to see I did make it to the Max out on the level.  Despite the feat not being very hard, it is comforting to know I might not be stuck at a level 23 playing against 100+ within a month.  I do not get that much time to play.  Who knows, it may still happen.

Overall, this game is completely sick so far.  I know Sony is not in on it, and this is Sony FOrum, but anything this good is worth a mention.

Moble

Message 15 of 17 (87 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1320 posts

Feb 21, 2014

—Overall opinion?

Wonderful game.   Looks, gameplay, and unique take on the FPS genre. 

—What do you think of the gameplay mechanics?

The basic player mechanics feel a lot like a polished MW/MW2.  That's a good thing.  Movement, reload, aim down site, and the standard mechanics are solid and familiar.  That's before the wall running, hanging, double jumps, and other fun additions.  The wall running and parkor stuff is done very well and the maps appear to be made to specifically to allow various paths and options.  At times it almost feels like it's done too well at times.  Players tend to gravitate towards windows and attach to wall runs and similar a bit further than I would think.  This isn't a complaint, I appreciate the level of detail in the game mechanics.  The parkor isn't just setting the slope limit to 90 degrees.  There seems to be a lot going on that provides the smooth experience that simulates edge of your seat navigation through the levels at times. 

Titans have a slightly bulky feel compared to playing as a pilot.  Nothing to severe though, if you've played a heavy class in dust you should be fine.  Replacing the ability to jump with the ability to dash for the Titans is a nice touch that keeps the Titans out of places they shouldn't be.  My only complaint would be the vortex shields seem to be a bit overpowered without the right strategy.  Dashing to cover when a Titan has used their vortex against you is fairly common to avoid the return fire, though through the beta I would see players playing a minigame of pitch between their vortex powers. 

Overall, a really solid and fun set of mechanics that work well together.  I don't want to say "you can tell...," but you really can tell there was a lot of thought put into the crafting of the game and how everything works together.

—How are the maps?

Very good balance of strongholds to be captured by pilots and more open areas the Titans can travel in.  There always seemed to be an option from A to B that I hadn't considered before.  Each spawn, each play I felt like I would notice something.  Many times I would think "could I get there" and almost everytime I found I could.  Areas for Titans generally provided plenty of space for travel/evasion.  Evaluating risk from another Titan in a more open area vs. the risk of being rodeoed by another pilot near a building is a nice way to provide tension to the slower paced Titan. 

—What do you think of the 6v6 player limit?

Doesn't matter.  The bots are actually pretty fun to shot and occasionally you will find yourself in a situation where you realize how much they add to the game.  For instance, a pod will release a number of bots near you at times.  It's really fun to rack up a multi in the middle of the combat zone.  Another nice thing I noticed was when spawning at times there will be an enemy bot about to melee a friendly bot.  At times you can save your friendly bot by shooting the enemy bot fast enough.  It's another really fun and cool example of how much went into the game. 

—Favorite game mode?

Depends.  Each mode had it's strengths and weaknesses.    Sometimes the Titan-only mode felt a bit bunched up and other times it felt I couldn't find a non-bot enemy in the TDM mode.  The capture points game mode seemed like you could possibly run around and cap flags without much resistance which led to my teammates and myself often resorting to seeking firefights instead of playing the objective.  I'm not playing this game for anything but fun, so win/loss ratio isn't going to mean anything to me.  Though the previous was mostly complaints, the game just does so much right it was just easier and faster to post my (mild) complaints. 

—What do you think of the graphics? Does the 792p on XB1 matter?

1080p 60fps is a great tag line.  It works and people repeat it, no doubt about it.  That said, it isn't as big of a deal as people like to make it out to be.  TitanFall's graphics are perfect for the game it is. 

—Still want it on the PS4?

Yes.  I find it hard to imagine the amount of money that was paid for semi-exclusivity.  I would guess it was probably much less than the amount of money they would have made by releasing on the PS4 as well.

Overall, TitanFall is an amazing game.  At times it feels like they set out to say "This is how you do it right" and they succeeded on so many noticeable levels and even on levels that go unnoticed.  If the monsters rumors are true this game will outshine pretty much all other FPS games, at least until Destiny. 

PlayStation needs the needs the next game from Respawn. 

BF3 Stats
Message 16 of 17 (73 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
940 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Campá Dooty with Mechs.. i shall pass xD

Message 17 of 17 (62 Views)
0 Likes