First Son
15 posts

Re: Anyone here work in the video game industry?

Mar 11, 2007

crovax3000 wrote:
3dsmax 9 ftw!
yea, im going to college rite now to work with 3d animation. as of now, i think my best bet would be level design, since i can whip up a pretty dam good level and materials. characters we just started doing serious ones, and idk how much i like it yet.

Yeah I completely agree. We've worked on buildings and landscapes for a while now and next semister (in a couple weeks) we will be working on a character model. I personally think it will be hard, but it'll be good to understand the difference of difficulty between level design and character design. Both have their strong and weak points.
Message 11 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
444 posts

Mar 11, 2007
one of my best friends works at rockstar games. i think hes helping making the new gta now. once in a while he lets me come and check out new games... hes a cool dude

Message Edited by 77BanOne on 03-11-2007 01:57 PM
Message 12 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16834 posts

Mar 11, 2007

Attackdog24 wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:
3dsmax 9 ftw!
yea, im going to college rite now to work with 3d animation. as of now, i think my best bet would be level design, since i can whip up a pretty dam good level and materials. characters we just started doing serious ones, and idk how much i like it yet.

Yeah I completely agree. We've worked on buildings and landscapes for a while now and next semister (in a couple weeks) we will be working on a character model. I personally think it will be hard, but it'll be good to understand the difference of difficulty between level design and character design. Both have their strong and weak points.

no, its not hard at all, just time consuming. basically you take a geosphere (they have nicer edges than a regular sphere) and shape it to a head.
 its actually kind of a cheat, we just make half of it, mirror and weld points

Message 13 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1395 posts

Mar 11, 2007
when im an adult i either want to be in the video game industry or the movie industry
Photobucket
Message 14 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 11, 2007

crovax3000 wrote:

Attackdog24 wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:
3dsmax 9 ftw!

no, its not hard at all, just time consuming. basically you take a geosphere (they have nicer edges than a regular sphere) and shape it to a head.

Ah haha That makes sense.

I guess I just like the idea of constructing an entire level as opposed to a single character. I guess it refers back to me wanting to be an architect.
Message 15 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16834 posts

Mar 11, 2007

Attackdog24 wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:

Attackdog24 wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:
3dsmax 9 ftw!

Ah haha That makes sense.

I guess I just like the idea of constructing an entire level as opposed to a single character. I guess it refers back to me wanting to be an architect.

funny you should say that, they actually reccomended that we take some type of archtecture class at some point, but i dont have the time or money for all these classes..
at the end of the semester, we actually get to make a level using ut2004's editor

Message 16 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7692 posts

Mar 11, 2007

crovax3000 wrote:

Attackdog24 wrote:

crovax3000 wrote:
3dsmax 9 ftw!

thats what i do too Smiley Tongue
XBL Gamertag: AAABattery Syphon Filter LS: kishou
¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸ ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸ Legend ¸„ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ Bob Marley ``°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º ``°º¤ø„¸ ¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„
Tyrone Biggums: "That's impossible Ronda, how can you sleep if you high on crack? Chinese riddle for you."
Message 17 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 11, 2007

crovax3000 wrote:

funny you should say that, they actually reccomended that we take some type of archtecture class at some point, but i dont have the time or money for all these classes..
at the end of the semester, we actually get to make a level using ut2004's editor

Haha that's awesome! I remember playing UT2004 way back when. I tried using the level editor for that and had no clue what I'm doing. I guess if I go back and try now I'd get a little bit of it. I also tried creating levels for Counter-Strike sometime last year and that was a blast. I'd imagine it's basically the same idea.

My high school offers Drafting 1-4. The first year you just draft simple objects (like screws and cd cases) but around your 4th year you are drafting entire houses and buildings. Sounds like fun.
Message 18 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6960 posts

Mar 11, 2007

Attackdog24 wrote:
Right now in high school, I am taking a 3d Animation class, where we basically model and animate things in a program called 3dsmax. During the first week of class the teacher showed us a bunch of videos and clips from events like E3 and such, showcasing a bunch of games that were made with 3dsmax. This got me thinking maybe I might want to grow up to work for one of the video game companies.

Is anyone here working in the video game industry, or plans to? Other than becoming an animator/something like that, I also had thoughts about being an architect, but that's getting off-topic. Smiley Tongue

I'm currently working in the industry doing work for both video games as well as feature films.

Fun stuff indeed.

• Apple MacBook Pro:
2.33 Ghz Core Duo | 256mb X1600 | 3GB's DD2 RAM | 200GB HD •
• Linux / Windoze PC: 3.4 Ghz Pentium D | nVidia BFG 7800 GS | 3.5 GB's DDR RAM | 1.25 TB RAID 0 •

The views expressed in this message are in no way the official views of SCEA and are of a personal nature.
Message 19 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10110 posts

Mar 11, 2007

Attackdog24 wrote:
Right now in high school, I am taking a 3d Animation class, where we basically model and animate things in a program called 3dsmax. During the first week of class the teacher showed us a bunch of videos and clips from events like E3 and such, showcasing a bunch of games that were made with 3dsmax. This got me thinking maybe I might want to grow up to work for one of the video game companies.

Is anyone here working in the video game industry, or plans to? Other than becoming an animator/something like that, I also had thoughts about being an architect, but that's getting off-topic. Smiley Tongue

Do you must know how to draw in order to be in that type of class?
Message 20 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes