Jan 11 2007
By: SlashZaku Shinra Executive 42129 posts

Anyone else get PSM and OXM?

3 replies 3 views Edited Jan 11, 2007
  Okay, I receive both PlayStation Magazine (PSM) and Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) in the mail.  Now, both magazines share the same mother company (Future US) but their seems to be a drastic difference in the professionalism with their respective staffs.  Now you would think that being the staff to a PlayStation or Xbox magazine would always put you in favor of your respective choice and neglect the other competing consoles, but I've found that not to be between the two magazines.

In PSM, the staff members will acknowledge a great game on another system (Gears of War for instance) or speak in the "What are we Playing?" column (from older issues) about playing games across various other platforms.  In the most recent issue, they had a PS3 vs 360 comparison that ended in a Draw, but by reading through the section, you can see they acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of each console and don't play any real favorism in the final outcome.  Hell, they even included a "Get the PS3 if you want/care about: - Get the 360 if you want/care about:".  It was well thought out and not something most would probably even expect from a PlayStation magazine and they even had one of the editors from OXM come over and include their input.  They also graded the PS3's launch and weighed it in as a "C+" which seemed fair enough.

Now in OXM, I find it very different.  They seem to try and take shots whenever they can at the PlayStation.  From the most recent magazine come these quotes:

"...but is also an exclusive, given that the PS3 version was canned before release.  Not that we really care -" From the "Game of the Year" awards for Smackdown vs RAW 2007 (Then why bring it up? Smiley Indifferent)

"Best Graphics...if They Were on a PlayStation 1" One of the "Game of the Year" Awards

" not a place for your old-ass PlayStation 1 games." Quote of the Year in the "GOTY" Awards.

"Launched: The PlayStation 3, in case you hadn't heard (because you probably haven't seen one of the four systems Sony shipped).  Among the launch shenangians were (A) a 19 year old Darwin Award Nominee who smashed into a light pole trying to race for a line at Walmart; (B) Sony acting hurt because Microsoft launched Video Marketplace before Sony (the owner of two major movie studios) could do so itself; and (C) the PS3's inability to display Blu-Ray movies in 720p (they'll scale down to 480p on a 720p set), which is either a grievous oversight or an evil Sony machination to get everyone to buy 1080p HDTVs." Found in the Inbox

Now, the Inbox usually always contains a shot like this at Sony or the PlayStation name and it's issue after issue that they do this.  Now it might just be me, but I think that comments like this in a game specific magazine aren't necessary.  OXM just drops a notch for keeping up with doing this.  Besides the demo disks, they really don't have my interest besides just glancing through the magazine.

But like I said, maybe I'm just being picky....:? /rant

Message 1 of 4 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7937 posts

Re: Anyone else get PSM and OXM?

Jan 11, 2007

-Zaku- wrote:
  Okay, I receive both PlayStation Magazine (PSM) and Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) in the mail.  Now, both magazines share the same mother company (Future US) but their seems to be a drastic difference in the professionalism with their respective staffs.  Now you would think that being the staff to a PlayStation or Xbox magazine would always put you in favor of your respective choice and neglect the other competing consoles, but I've found that not to be between the two magazines.

In PSM, the staff members will acknowledge a great game on another system (Gears of War for instance) or speak in the "What are we Playing?" column (from older issues) about playing games across various other platforms.  In the most recent issue, they had a PS3 vs 360 comparison that ended in a Draw, but by reading through the section, you can see they acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of each console and don't play any real favorism in the final outcome.  Hell, they even included a "Get the PS3 if you want/care about: - Get the 360 if you want/care about:".  It was well thought out and not something most would probably even expect from a PlayStation magazine and they even had one of the editors from OXM come over and include their input.  They also graded the PS3's launch and weighed it in as a "C+" which seemed fair enough.

Now in OXM, I find it very different.  They seem to try and take shots whenever they can at the PlayStation.  From the most recent magazine come these quotes:

"...but is also an exclusive, given that the PS3 version was canned before release.  Not that we really care -" From the "Game of the Year" awards for Smackdown vs RAW 2007 (Then why bring it up? Smiley Indifferent)

"Best Graphics...if They Were on a PlayStation 1" One of the "Game of the Year" Awards

" not a place for your old-ass PlayStation 1 games." Quote of the Year in the "GOTY" Awards.

"Launched: The PlayStation 3, in case you hadn't heard (because you probably haven't seen one of the four systems Sony shipped).  Among the launch shenangians were (A) a 19 year old Darwin Award Nominee who smashed into a light pole trying to race for a line at Walmart; (B) Sony acting hurt because Microsoft launched Video Marketplace before Sony (the owner of two major movie studios) could do so itself; and (C) the PS3's inability to display Blu-Ray movies in 720p (they'll scale down to 480p on a 720p set), which is either a grievous oversight or an evil Sony machination to get everyone to buy 1080p HDTVs." Found in the Inbox

Now, the Inbox usually always contains a shot like this at Sony or the PlayStation name and it's issue after issue that they do this.  Now it might just be me, but I think that comments like this in a game specific magazine aren't necessary.  OXM just drops a notch for keeping up with doing this.  Besides the demo disks, they really don't have my interest besides just glancing through the magazine.

But like I said, maybe I'm just being picky....:? /rant

I get my PSM in a couple of weeks.
Message 2 of 4 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42129 posts

Jan 11, 2007

mc73y2k wrote:

I get my PSM in a couple of weeks.

I got mine (February) yesterday.

Message 3 of 4 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1898 posts

Jan 11, 2007

Got to love OXM.

but anyways I don't like to buy any mags I would much rather get a IGN or gamespot sub for 14.99 a year.
Message 4 of 4 (3 Views)
0 Likes