Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Re: Anyone Remember BlockBuster Video ?

Sep 15, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Blockbuster Video stores still exist, but are not as common as they used to be.

I loved Blockbuster Video and Hollywood / Eastman Video.

But, sadly, when they came into my town they put most of the smaller local video stores out of business.

Now, my home town has no video store at all. Their last Blockbuster video just closed two weeks ago.

And where I live now, we had 2 Blockbusters and 2 Hollywood Video stores in the area, but all 4 have closed in the past 3 years.

Just as they put the local video stores out of business, redbox and video on-demand are putting them out of business.

I used to rent movies and video games all the time. I started with renting NES games, Beta tapes, and VHS. Smiley Tongue I miss those days. I don't own a netflix account or rent from vending machines.

I love RedBox for short games that I can finish in a day or two. It is less cost-effective when the game is more than 10 hours long and has multiplayer.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 11 of 33 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7120 posts

Sep 15, 2013
Yes, but that's only because they are still in business where I live.
Message 12 of 33 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4253 posts

Sep 15, 2013

Rented a few things from them about a decade ago, and got Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon which they still had around the time.

Don't really have fond memories of Blockbuster. The Blockbuster that was near me closed down and became an Autozone a couple of years ago.

Message 13 of 33 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Sep 15, 2013

Yea i remember going there often, renting genesis and snes games. Rented Sonic 3 so many times from there till I got it. Still one of my fav games.

Genesis, Snes, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, PS3
Message 14 of 33 (273 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Sep 15, 2013
I used to have a Blockbuster near my house, but the shut it down. Smiley Sad

But there's a dine-in Pizza Hut there now so it's all good. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 33 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9274 posts

Sep 15, 2013
100_0075.JPG100_0074.JPG100_0073.JPG
BowDown-Rainbow7 wrote:

Anyon Remember  BlockBuster  Video ??  I Remeber back in Day I Would  go  to BlockBuster Every Friday or Saturday Night to RENT A Few Movies and  buy  Candy From BlockBuster.  I Cant Believe  How things Has Changed in the past 10-15 years.   They were around for so Long.  Anyone has Good Blockbuster Memoriesblockbuster.jpg

Yes I miss my Blockbuster a lot my friend use to work there and we use to hangout there a lot. I got a new camera from the radio shack next door and did a few test shots in the store there. Here are a few of the pictures I took. It was like a social hub there for a lot of folks. We traded movie reviews etc. Now I am kind of lost for my movies. I use to love to see the box and read each one before I rented them

Message 16 of 33 (262 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Sep 15, 2013

Of course I remember it. Before that one had to go to the movies to see movies, then they could record TV shows and movies on tapes, and buy movies on tapes but those were quite pricey. Blockbuster arose to allow us RENTING of those video tapes.

The one near us closed a couple or more years ago. We hardly went there it's last 10 years of business. We bought DVD's for a long time, then got into Blu-ray. Blockbuster didn't carry any Blu-ray after that for a long time, then started carrying some of that and that finally took over most new releases, but we only went on the seldom occassion.

There might be another video store in the town north of us, not Blockbuster, but there are RedBox kiosks here and there. We buy Blu-ray, Watch Directv and Netflix, and go to movies. I don't really miss Blockbuster at all. Fond memories of having to rewind the movie before I can watch it, ugh. Be Kind REWIND! So many never got that message.

When DVD's came out awesome! Awe man, take this one back to blockbuster, it's scratched up! 

I prefer my content un-scathed. Robot Very Happy

Message 17 of 33 (251 Views)
Survivor
2125 posts

Sep 15, 2013

I remember seeing one in a city near where I live. Yep, it was big in the UK as well.

Message 18 of 33 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

Sep 15, 2013

The blockbuster that was close to my house was closed many years back

I used to rent  all my games from there but now I prefer to buy and keep.

Message 19 of 33 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55494 posts

Sep 15, 2013

I still have my blockbuster card......

Message 20 of 33 (235 Views)