Dec 19 2012
By: Viewtiful_Josh Fender Bender 2922 posts

Any C++ Progammers out there?

14 replies 172 views Edited Dec 19, 2012
I'm currently learning C++, and I find it quite fascinating. I'm no expert, but I'm in a pretty good level where I can write simple programs. I'm actually making a simple game right now and it keeps getting bigger every time I learn something new (currently learning about Classes/Class Objects/Instance). Anyway, just like learning any other language, it is good to have someone else to speak it with. So I'm looking for some programmers here in which I could talk about C++ with. The skill level does not really matter: I could help any beginner and any expert can help me. :smileyvery-happy: So who wants to be C++ buddies? :smileyhappy:
Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 1 of 15 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Re: Any C++ Progammers out there?

Dec 19, 2012

I was quite new to computer programming back in college and quickly dropped it from being my major. The teacher helped me along the way, and I got an A. In my first year I had a GPA of 3.5 and was rolling when that class was on my schedule. The computer programmer book is still in my closet, but years later can't tell you a thing about it. College is not for the unprepared.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 2 of 15 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7246 posts

Dec 20, 2012
I'm working on Java currently.
energy
Message 3 of 15 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4306 posts

Dec 22, 2012

I had a couple of courses in C++ but didn't really care all that much for it - my prof taught junk and I got bored fairly quickly.   What sort of game are you working on?

Message 4 of 15 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Dec 27, 2012

bm2919 wrote:
I'm working on Java currently.

Darn, well isn't (from what I've heard) Java is more or less similar to C++? I have a friend I went with where we were learning the basics of programming (using Alice 2.0), but he is learning Python.

Message 5 of 15 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Dec 27, 2012

njinear2b wrote:

I had a couple of courses in C++ but didn't really care all that much for it - my prof taught junk and I got bored fairly quickly.   What sort of game are you working on?

Same here. My teacher was boring as well, but I am learning it because I want to. Right now I'm reading ahead cuz I'm an inpatient person. :smileytongue:

The game is a simple console application. I think that means that it just shows up in the command window and lines show up, haha. The theme of it is to see how long the player can go with each passing "enemy". You start with a sword and an axe, which you keep getting each turn, and you keep killing foes. The foes have types, so not always will a sword work on them, had to update it like that because my bro said it was too repetitive. It still is since it revolves around a while loop. You can also combine weapons to make new ones, also "buy" weapons or healing potions. I just added the ability for the player to be able to enchant the enemy. So for example you an curse him with a damage-over-time spell or whatnot. And right now I'm working on the "save game" part of the game. Before it was pretty fast, but now since there are more options the player can do, it will take a lot longer for the player to die and I imagine the user will at some point have to turn off his/her PC, so I'm working something out so that the player can save the game and return to it later by using files. (#include<fstream>).

So yeah, it's nothing amazing, but it's a project so I can practice coding and use what I am learning. I just find myself wondering some stuff and since i don't have a teacher anymore, then I would like to comment my thoughts with some other programmer. I might look for dedicated programming forums, but I just wanted to ask here since I'm a PlayStation fan.

Thanks for reading this whole thing, lol.

Message 6 of 15 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Dec 27, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

I was quite new to computer programming back in college and quickly dropped it from being my major. The teacher helped me along the way, and I got an A. In my first year I had a GPA of 3.5 and was rolling when that class was on my schedule. The computer programmer book is still in my closet, but years later can't tell you a thing about it. College is not for the unprepared.

Why did you drop it?

Message 7 of 15 (115 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29540 posts

Dec 27, 2012
I learned C++, C and Java. I prefer Java though. I'm not a good programmer though. I gave that up and moved to Digital Forensics.
Message 8 of 15 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
781 posts

Dec 27, 2012
I learned C++ about 4 years ago in college and I loved it. I was the top in my class. I wish I could learn more programming languages. Anyone know of good classes online to take? Possibly free ones? Or just websites/videos that help teach?

I never made a word game c++ but did a few simple games like guessing games. Man, I think I lost all my C++ stuff from college.
Message 9 of 15 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

Why did you drop it?

It was mostly programming in zero's and ones. Very difficult for me because my only computer was the school's pc, so I visited the college alot, running back and forth on bus. It was a hectic schedule I tell you. Plus, when I changed my major things went downhill from there. Had to be at school and work at the same day, very difficult.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 10 of 15 (103 Views)
0 Likes