Feb 04 2013
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22635 posts

Amazon Charges SALE TAX??

24 replies 111 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

this is odd..

I bought lot of stuffs from amazon,

games, console, accessories, car parts, etc..

never got charged sale tax before..

until today... i bought a book .. and got charged tax..

i tested to see if the same  by placing a separate order for a movie. and no sale tax on the movie.. :?

the book is $9.. while the movie  bundle is $40.. 

my most recent purchase from Amazon was the AC III 3   PS3 bundle and book of secrets for $345.  NO tax though

so this is weird... maybe a glitch?? or maybe sale tax on BOOKs only? or maybe for items under $10??

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 25 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Re: Amazon Charges SALE TAX??

Feb 4, 2013
Yeah, it's kinda new. IRS wants their money.

YB

Message 2 of 25 (103 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40067 posts

Feb 4, 2013

No sales tax for me here in beautiful Sth Florida Smiley Happy.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 3 of 25 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 4, 2013

I live in Minnesota and I have never been charged sales tax from Amazon.  Just recently I bought Ni No Kuni and the official hard cover Prima guide for it.  No tax and free shipping. Smiley Wink

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 4 of 25 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55190 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

this is odd..

i tested to see if the same  by placing a separate order for a movie. and no sale tax on the movie.. :?

my most recent purchase from Amazon was the AC III 3   PS3 bundle and book of secrets for $345.  NO tax though

so this is weird... maybe a glitch?? or maybe sale tax on BOOKs only? or maybe for items under $10??

No its a new tax law, thank the governor of your state and your state legislature for it.  http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2012/06/06/mass_may_tell_amazon_to_charge_sales_tax/

While you are at it you can thank President Obama and Nancy Pelosi as the Affordable Health Care Act (some call it obamacare) gave the IRS the authority to look into your online sales and report that information to the states.  http://voices.yahoo.com/under-obamacare-irs-has-power-penalize-americans-5679354.html   

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Obamacare--IRS--Sweeping--Powers/2010/07/19/id/365014

Gotta love it!

Message 5 of 25 (91 Views)
Survivor
2374 posts

Feb 4, 2013
Yup. It depends on your local tax laws as Amazon also has to pay taxes.
Message 6 of 25 (84 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 4, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

this is odd..

Was that book or a movie sold directly from Amazon, or from one of their partners that reside in your state? Usually if you make a purchase from a business from the same state, you are subject to sales tax.

Try placing a sample order for another PS3 from Amazon, and see if you are still charged sales tax before you complete the order...

Message 7 of 25 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22635 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Was that book or a movie sold directly from Amazon, or from one of their partners that reside in your state? Usually if you make a purchase from a business from the same state, you are subject to sales tax.

Try placing a sample order for another PS3 from Amazon, and see if you are still charged sales tax before you complete the order...

yeah..

both items are sold by AMAZON LLC.

i placed a separated order  

1 for the book..  $9... charge  $0.59 tax..

a separate order for a movie bundle $40.. no tax..

so i don't get??

maybe a glitch?/  since usually i don't have to pay taxes on most of the stuffs i bought from amazon before..

i know those **bleep** politicians want to charge online taxes.. but it's just a bill at the moment.. not a law yet..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 25 (73 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 4, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

yeah..

both items are sold by AMAZON LLC.

i placed a separated order  

1 for the book..  $9... charge  $0.59 tax..

a separate order for a movie bundle $40.. no tax..

so i don't get??

maybe a glitch?/  since usually i don't have to pay taxes on most of the stuffs i bought from amazon before..

i know those **bleep** politicians want to charge online taxes.. but it's just a bill at the moment.. not a law yet..

I'm fairly certain that Amazon has a distribution facility in your state, and usually if they have a physical presence in your state you are subject to sales tax.  So it could be that the closest distributor location for the book, is in your state.

Message 9 of 25 (68 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Feb 4, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

this is odd..

sucks dont it?

here in California local business people were **bleep** about internet sales because sites dont have to charge sales tax and thus people are shopping online instead of in stores, so they whined and the gov made online sites like Amazon charge sales tax.

funny thing is, this wont change anything because people will still shop online. i recently put a pre-order down for the Survival Edition of The Last of Us on Amazon and bought The Art of Dead Space and got a $10 sales tax charge. dont care; either i get charged in store or online, only difference is that online is more convenient and local stores cant do anything about that.

Message 10 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes