Fender Bender
2879 posts

Re: Affirmative Action: Yay or Nay?

Apr 21, 2014

Some days only the bus driver and I are the only ones speaking English on the bus...

I  think Afirmative action should go, everyone should have a fair chance if they are a US citizen.

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 21 of 22 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2561 posts

Re: Affirmative Action: Yay or Nay?

Apr 22, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

I think Spanish should be one of the official languages in America (or secondary language). 

That is not ideal at all. One official language is the best way to go in our nation. In third world nations, where you cannot standardize learning or assimilate groups, this would make sense and help, but not in this nation. Everything is built with English at its heart and, as was mentioned earlier, it would be cumbersome to accomodate Spanish speakers. The number of people that ONLY speak Spanish is too small to warrant it, and if a state or county within said state has a massive immigrant population, they can deal with it a local level.

I thought there was a lot of spanish speaking people in America? And with America's history with Spain/Mexico it would make sense to at least make it a Secondary langauge. In Canada, French-Canadians are the minority but it's still one of the official languages. 

Hispanics/Latin origin make up around 17% of our population. But the majority of them are not first generation and speak English (and many do not even speak Spanish...). If you are Canadian, you should know that the French-Canadians in Quebec are prideful as a whole and have laws to ensure that French is a main language (such as equal representation of the language on signs). They essentially force it to be a  language because they try to be their own little nation-state (luckily for Canda, the pro-secession party recently lost big in the elections).

Only a small amount of people ONLY speak French in Canada- with French speakers who learned it as their primary language making up a little over 20% of the Canadian population. It is more the older generations that do not know English, and that is only because of Quebec's insistence on maintaining their heritage in the past. 

And it proves my point. Leave it to the individual states and provinces that require it. The national government in Canada should not have to deal with Quebec's separatist culture. That is Quebec's problem. Same in the US. If Southern California cities want to be a safe-haven for illegal immigrants, they can handle the work in assimilating them.

I guess you're right that English was the foundation of America and everything was built around that. I guess it would be comparing apples to oranges when talking about the culture/language of Quebec. I just assumed that there was a lot of spanish speaking peoples in America and I assumed the language itself has had a long history with America. 

Also, it wouldn't have mattered if the Parti-Quebecois (the pro-seperatists that lost in the provincial election) won because the youth in Quebec don't really care about the seperatist movement of the past. 

My Youtube Channel:

Rookie2Vet

Free Sitrongr

Message 22 of 22 (42 Views)
0 Likes