Apr 19 2014
By: KZMProductionsGT Fender Bender 3825 posts

Affirmative Action: Yay or Nay?

21 replies 240 views Edited Apr 19, 2014

Do you agree with Affirmativ action or should it be abolished?

KZMProductionsGT
Message 1 of 22 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8030 posts

Re: Affirmative Action: Yay or Nay?

Apr 19, 2014

It should be abolished, but it had its place once upon a time. 

Asperger's is the leading cause of hate against women. End patriarchy now by donating to the EminentFury Asperger's Research Fund.
Wais_45 is a good guy.
Message 2 of 22 (234 Views)
I Only Post Everything
999 posts

Apr 19, 2014

Why do I get the feeling this post was intended to cause a riot?

Rules & Guidelines Contact PlayStation Support | Need Help? PM Me

If you want to add me on PSN, please say in the request that you're from the PS forum.

Message 3 of 22 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18922 posts

Apr 19, 2014

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

Do you agree with Affirmativ action or should it be abolished?

The question is, how many actually try to earn a lot of money? Because there are many lazy people out there who don't try to earn a lot of money.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 4 of 22 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2014

that depends...

are we offering them services catered to them to make their disadvantages not so apparent or are we so focused on them we forget about non-disadvantaged people (it's not like they have an advantage, just an advantage in comparison). 

i mean a perfect example where affirmative action failed was in the dmv last year getting my license renewed and i showed up there at like 6.45a (15m before they opened) and i was like the third person in line. i ended up having to wait for 55 minutes to be seen because 3 of the 4 dmv people (i'm not really sure what you'd call them other than employees) were multilingual and helped others that came in who were disadvantaged in communication. so that left 1 person to help all of the "advantaged" folk and it ended up taking between 15-20 minutes for each "advantaged" individual to get through the dmv.

that kind of discrimination just because of language barriers...

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 5 of 22 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2014
There wouldn't be a language barrier if people would learn the lanague of the place they are invading relocating to.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 6 of 22 (207 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Apr 19, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:
There wouldn't be a language barrier if people would learn the lanague of the place they are invading relocating to.

That seems like a lot to ask from immigrants, when we see examples every day of people who have failed to learn the "official language" of the country they were born and raised in. Smiley Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 22 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

i see no problem with language barriers. some places will just end up making multilingualism or bilingualism a standard in hiring procedures - it's like many retail stores looking for candidates who have cash handling experience. know the tools of the trade before you go in. however i don't see why the efforts made to bridge gaps and help the disadvantaged have to put them on such a pedestal. having someone who can communicate with you at the dmv shouldn't be the same as getting an express ticket to be seen before everybody else.

of course, it's just one example where affirmative action has failed.

there are grocery stores that tend to send out courtesy clerks with elderly or disabled individuals. that's not a bad thing. it's not necessarily law, mind, but it's a kind of affirmative action in treating disadvantaged people with enough respect to understand they may get some extra "benefits" because they don't have the capacity to perform some tasks.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 8 of 22 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36255 posts

Apr 20, 2014

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:

i mean a perfect example where affirmative action failed was in the dmv last year getting my license renewed and i showed up there at like 6.45a (15m before they opened) and i was like the third person in line. i ended up having to wait for 55 minutes to be seen because 3 of the 4 dmv people (i'm not really sure what you'd call them other than employees) were multilingual and helped others that came in who were disadvantaged in communication. so that left 1 person to help all of the "advantaged" folk and it ended up taking between 15-20 minutes for each "advantaged" individual to get through the dmv.

This is more about immigration.  I think the current mindset is that the USA exists to serve every other country in the world, when no other country thinks this way.  You can't just show up in Mexico and expect to be a citizen.  They have very strict rules.

We used to have common sense immigration rules, like other countries still have.

- Admit people who are ready to work.

- Favor those with higher education.

- Nobody with a felony history.

- Anyone caught committing a felony before the paperwork is done is instantly deported, or tried here, whichever is more realistic for us at the time.

- Nobody who is about to die of malaria or whatever.

- Nobody who wants to "re-conquest" the USA for another country.  You swear allegience to the USA exclusively.

- Knowing the language is definitely a plus.  There are people all around the world, in every country, who speak English.  It's really not too much to ask.

- Expect people to learn a minimal level of English adter they move here.  It is in their best interest to learn the language.

- Provide absolutely no government services in any language other thean English.  This is part of the citizenship process.

- All schools will be in English.  No "temporary transition" schools, because they never work.  Full immersion works best.

- Provide absolutely no social benefits (Welfare, food stamps, etc.) until they have been citizens for 10 years.  They supposedly came here to work, not drain the system.

- Eliminate the "anchor baby" rule.  If you come here illegally and have a baby, then both you and the baby are deported.  The baby is not magically a US citizen based solely on the patch of ground he was born on.

Every other country has similar rules.  They make sense.  They work.

Message 9 of 22 (147 Views)
Fender Bender
3598 posts

Apr 20, 2014
I had to learn English from my brother. I hope it is fine. No one else ever told me if it was bad or not, and my brother may have taught me something wrong.
I can here hurtful. I can be purple. I can be anything you like.
Message 10 of 22 (145 Views)