Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 31 2013
By: DrGadget Welcoming Committee 33193 posts

Adam Levine - "I hate this country."

[ Edited ]
4 replies 93 views Edited May 31, 2013

I saw the episode of The Voice where that happened.  I shared his frustration.  He's not a USA hater.

For those of you who haven't watched The Voice, it's kinda similar to American Idol, especially in this stage of the competition.  America votes, and someone goes home.  That night, two people went home.  They were both part of Adam's team.  Adam had a really strong team.

The way it went down is more like this.

Host: America voted and Sarah is going home.

Adam: What!?!?  America got it wrong!

Not those exact words of course, but that was the meaning.  Those of you who know me know that I'm the last person who would vouch for an America-hater.  Adam Levine was frustrated at "America" as in "America voted and Sarah is going home".  I was equally frustrated.  Sarah was better than Holly.  Holly has been bad for the last couple weeks.  How is Blake's team still intact when every other judge is reduced to one contestant?  It's not right.

That said, Sarah was an outside shot at best to win the competition.  She was really good.  SOmetimes really REALLY good.  But this year the competition is nothing short of amazing.  Had Holly been voted off, Sarah might have a 10% chance of winning.  I have no doubt that Holly will soon be voted off.  She's simply not as good as the other contestants.

So all you hater haters out there, cut Adam Levine some slack.  It's not like the Dixie Chicks when they traveled around the world giving speeches about why America sucks.  Doing this ruined their careers, and rightfully so.  Adam Levine is not in the same category as the Dixie Chicks.  I saw the show.  He was taken WAAAAAY out of context and at a moment of intense duress.  I might have said the exact same thing if I was in his seat.  And I deeply love this country.

Adam has already apologized to the unforgiving Court of Public Opinion.  I'm sure he'll eat more humble pie next week on the show.  He really really didn't mean it the way it sounded.

Having gotten all that off my chest, here are my percentages for who should win.  These are of course subject to change as people get voted off.

Michelle Chamuel - 60%.  She has more talent than every contestant American Idol had this year, combined.  Yeah, she's that good.  Every judge is on the show is talking as if she's won the contest already.  She's insanely good, and has become a "nerd hero" to everyone who has ever been told they weren't good enough.  I'm sure she's on YouTube somewhere.  You need to see for yourself.  If America gets it right from here on, it should come down to Michele and Danielle.

Pics of Michelle.

Danielle Bradbery  - 25%.  She is only 16 and has flawless delivery every time.  Her voice is absolutely perfect and she makes it look so easy and effortless every time.  Never a pitch problem or flat note.  I'd even go so far as to say she's this generation's Karen Carpenter.  If anything happens to Michelle, she is the one to beat.  Definitely.  No matter what happens with the voting, she will become a star.  She has to.

Sasha Allen - 10%.  She has a great voice, a great look, great energy, just great all around.  Excellent song choice too.  What a lousy year for her to decide to compete.

The Swon Brothers 10%.  At first I didn't like them because I thought they were goofy, and they are a bit silly at times.  But they can sing.  They stand out because of their amazing harmonies.  They get better and better each week.  The question is, Do they have enough time to improve to the point where they can win?  I don't think so.  But I really do like them and I expect them to get a recording contract anyway.

Amber Carrington 5%.  Up until this week she was in danger of becoming invisible.  She did very well.  She needs to do something amazing to stay in the game.  This is Adam Levine's last contestant, and she's not as good as Sarah Simmons who just left the show (because America got it wrong).  So expect Adam to fight hard to make Amber awesome.

Holly Tucker 0%.  She peaked weeks ago.  She's always out of tune.  She doesn't have enough stage presence.  She can't convey emotion properly.  I expect her to say goodbye next week.  I won't miss her.  I doubt anyone will cause an uproar over her.

And in conclusion, be nice to Adam.  Even without this national hissy fit over his poor choice of words, he had a VERY bad week.  Cut him a little slack.

Message 1 of 5 (93 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9452 posts

Re: Adam Levine - "I hate this country."

May 31, 2013
Can understand his frustration. A lot of those shows seem to be really just large popularity contests. So at times, some people get passed over if they don't have a large group of people who'll be voting for them.
Message 2 of 5 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

May 31, 2013

I don't watch the show, could care less, however you said something telling that I want to examine:

"It's not like the Dixie Chicks when they traveled around the world giving speeches about why America sucks.  Doing this ruined their careers, and rightfully so."

Why?  Why was it OK for their career to go down the tubes because they had good points about what is wrong with America?  I don't get much into the happenings of celebrities and television and all that, however, when it crosses over into the political and into issues of speech, I start to pay attention.  As someone who believes in liberty and in the marketplace being free and open, I have no real cause for complain, they had their say and the marketplace responded, it just is unfortunate in my eyes, because the flag waving nationalism is not good in my opinion, we should all be critical of the place we live, seeing the flaws as flaws helps make this plot of land a better place.  We should be upset that we have one of the largest prison populations in the world, we should be upset that our freedom of the press ranking is pathetically low.  We should be upset that our so-called leaders are bombing brown people.  These are bad things, and we should be paying attention to them.

Message 3 of 5 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
33193 posts

Jun 1, 2013

TheBigDumpMachin wrote:

I don't watch the show, could care less, however you said something telling that I want to examine:

"It's not like the Dixie Chicks when they traveled around the world giving speeches about why America sucks.  Doing this ruined their careers, and rightfully so."

Why?  Why was it OK for their career to go down the tubes because they had good points about what is wrong with America?  I don't get much into the happenings of celebrities and television and all that, however, when it crosses over into the political and into issues of speech, I start to pay attention.  As someone who believes in liberty and in the marketplace being free and open, I have no real cause for complain, they had their say and the marketplace responded, it just is unfortunate in my eyes, because the flag waving nationalism is not good in my opinion, we should all be critical of the place we live, seeing the flaws as flaws helps make this plot of land a better place.  We should be upset that we have one of the largest prison populations in the world, we should be upset that our freedom of the press ranking is pathetically low.  We should be upset that our so-called leaders are bombing brown people.  These are bad things, and we should be paying attention to them.

All good points, which we should take care of in-house.  There is one thing you said to mitigate this.

"we should be upset that our freedom of the press ranking is pathetically low."

I agree.  This is the sort of thing that makes it that much harder for those of us who actually want to repair the damage done to our country from within.  So I could see if they took their case abroad to obtain greater freedom of speech.  But I really don't see how this is the case.  They just wanted to engage in America-bashing.  Also when Obama went on his many "apologize to the world" tours, he would frequently apoplogize for America, to countries that were far less free and just than America.

Does America have problems?  Yes.  Big problems?  Yes.  But should we flush America down the great toilet bowl of history?  No.  America also has a lot right going for it.  Granted, these are getting fewer every year.  This is a tragedy.  We should be working to fix America, based on principles that have worked before so well in the past.  We know what works and what doesn't.  But lately we've been focusing on trying to prove there is some potential in the ideas that never work, instead of simply relying on the principles that have proven themselves time after time.

Freedom of the Press, not 6 people who buy up news conglomerates and control all of the Mainstream Media.

Freedom of Religion.

Freedom of Speech.

Right to Bear Arms.  Not just for the "militia" (which the government doesn't allow anyway).  And not just hunting or defensive weapons.  Military grade weapons.  That's what the Founding Fathers meant.

No illegal search and seizure (wire-tapping, data mining, every agency and corporation everywhere storing your personal info, the Kelo decision).

10th Amendment.  I'll let you google that on your own.  This Amendment hasn't been used in decades.

Separation of Powers (Executive Branch and Judicial Branch making "laws").

Balanced Budget.  Short of getting involved in another World War, there is no excuse for running a deficit.  If you want to know how to balance the budget, google the 10th Amendment.  There goes 95% of the federal spending pretty much instantly.

Avoiding foreign entanglements.  We used to do this as the default.  A few years ago we were trying to fast-track the country of Georgia into NATO so we could protect them under treaty against Russia.  What are we idiots?  We have nothing to gain by helping Georgia pick a fight with Russia.

Forcing politicians to honor their oath of office, where they swear to uphold and defend the US Constitution.  To take such an oath and then undermine the Constitution at every opportunity is an act of treason.  And yet we have people undermining the Constitution routinely.  I guess they don't understand the oath they swore?  Or they just don't care.

And while we're on a roll here, why do corporations enjoy practically the same rights as an American citizen?  That's not right.

Message 4 of 5 (51 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9452 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

TheBigDumpMachin wrote:

All good points, which we should take care of in-house.  There is one thing you said to mitigate this.

"we should be upset that our freedom of the press ranking is pathetically low."

I agree.  This is the sort of thing that makes it that much harder for those of us who actually want to repair the damage done to our country from within.  So I could see if they took their case abroad to obtain greater freedom of speech.  But I really don't see how this is the case.  They just wanted to engage in America-bashing.  Also when Obama went on his many "apologize to the world" tours, he would frequently apoplogize for America, to countries that were far less free and just than America.

Does America have problems?  Yes.  Big problems?  Yes.  But should we flush America down the great toilet bowl of history?  No.  America also has a lot right going for it.  Granted, these are getting fewer every year.  This is a tragedy.  We should be working to fix America, based on principles that have worked before so well in the past.  We know what works and what doesn't.  But lately we've been focusing on trying to prove there is some potential in the ideas that never work, instead of simply relying on the principles that have proven themselves time after time.

Freedom of the Press, not 6 people who buy up news conglomerates and control all of the Mainstream Media.

Freedom of Religion.

Freedom of Speech.

Right to Bear Arms.  Not just for the "militia" (which the government doesn't allow anyway).  And not just hunting or defensive weapons.  Military grade weapons.  That's what the Founding Fathers meant.

No illegal search and seizure (wire-tapping, data mining, every agency and corporation everywhere storing your personal info, the Kelo decision).

10th Amendment.  I'll let you google that on your own.  This Amendment hasn't been used in decades.

Separation of Powers (Executive Branch and Judicial Branch making "laws").

Balanced Budget.  Short of getting involved in another World War, there is no excuse for running a deficit.  If you want to know how to balance the budget, google the 10th Amendment.  There goes 95% of the federal spending pretty much instantly.

Avoiding foreign entanglements.  We used to do this as the default.  A few years ago we were trying to fast-track the country of Georgia into NATO so we could protect them under treaty against Russia.  What are we idiots?  We have nothing to gain by helping Georgia pick a fight with Russia.

Forcing politicians to honor their oath of office, where they swear to uphold and defend the US Constitution.  To take such an oath and then undermine the Constitution at every opportunity is an act of treason.  And yet we have people undermining the Constitution routinely.  I guess they don't understand the oath they swore?  Or they just don't care.

And while we're on a roll here, why do corporations enjoy practically the same rights as an American citizen?  That's not right.

Good points. The corporations that are trying to buy up news papers for their own gain, not to mention the news channels, local channels... they're trying to only broadcast what they want to broadcast and not actual news. Only news that they want people to hear. Frankly it's downright scary.

As for corporations as people... the whole Cititzens United issue is just downright wrong period. Still CANNOT believe that the Supreme Court passed that one. 

An interesting blog about this issue

Disclaimer: from huffingtonpost.com

He brings up some good points as to how Citizens United could really mess up the US. Such as making people's votes null and void, corporations buying the courts... the latter especially being REALLY scary. That wouldn't be good for the little guy at all. People wouldn't have a chance in court.

Message 5 of 5 (45 Views)
0 Likes