Sep 27 2008
By: MrSharkey Fender Bender 4236 posts

About Scene kids

102 replies 1795 views Edited Sep 27, 2008

Hey guys I just read this and found it pretty interesting actually haha. I have nothing against scene people but still some of this makes me laugh. It's bit long but worth the read. 

But seriously, am I the only one who realizes how enormous and repulsive of a trend this whole scene thing has become? Scene is the new goth, except it's sucked even more brainless teenagers in with it this time than the goth trend did. Bands like Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday and Panic! At the Disco are the new Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC and Britney Spears. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Atreyu and Norma Jean are the new Linkin Park, Ko?n and Limp Bizkit. pop punk is the new pop. metalcore/hardcore is the new nu-metal. And, like any other musical fad, as the fanbase grows and grows, the actual meaning and message of the music lessens and lessens. Back in 2000 when thousands and thousands of teenage girls flocked to Backstreet Boys and Nsync concerts, they didn't go because they actually appreciated the music, they went to screech about how hot or cool they thought the members of the band were, or maybe even to meet some cute boys while they were there. Back in 2002 when thousands and thousands of teenage guys flocked to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit concerts, they didn't go because they actually appreciated the music, they went to jump around, act tough, show off their testosterone, and maybe even meet some skanky goth girls while they were there.
And it's essentially the same thing now, except with different bands. It's like evolution, except backwards. DE-evolution.

For a visualization of this slow but steady decline over the years from an already-bad sub-genre of adolescent clones (goths) into an even worse sub-genre of teenage clones (scenesters), I've created the following image:

Anyone else see a pattern here?

God only knows what the next
Marilyn Manson or Jeffree Star in 2010 is going to look like...it's hard to picture anything WORSE. But of course every time you think that things have hit rock bottom, that things couldn't possibly get any worse than they already are, they of course do, in some horrible twist you never would have thought of beforehand. I bet 3 years ago NOBODY would have believed you if you had told them that three years from now the vast majority of the teenage population would listen to and adore the whines and screams of skinny black-haired guys dressed like drag queens. So who knows where this mind-numbing trend is going to go next, but I can't see it getting any better from here on out.

Anyway, it's not necessarily the bands' fault that all of a sudden they're an overnight mainstream, trendsetting band with billions of 12 year olds as their new fan base; most of them played for years where hardly anyone knew who they were before the trend shifted and they became huge. Of course they have to take some blame; you'll notice that if you look at photos from two or three years ago, the vast majority of the bands that are so popular now looked completely different; normal-looking, even, before they altered their appearance drastically to match the latest fads (see below; "What the Scene Does to People" ).

Now, with their success, they suddenly wear skintight jeans, eyeliner, and have jet-black dyed, straightened hair to match the latest fad. You'll also notice that their music has changed; on their older CDs they'll have 5 minute songs, lyrics about most anything, and an actual meaning in there somewhere. Now they're all 2 or 3 and a half minute radio-friendly catchy songs, with pointless lyrics and no meaning. And I'm not just referring to pop-punk like Fall Out Boy or Taking Back Sunday, I'm referring to metalcore/hardcore as well. Their songs have also all been cut down to 2 or 3 and a half minutes and have become radio friendly by adding singing vocals (usually by a guitarist; if the old one couldn't sing they kicked him out and got a new one) and choruses so that all their songs have exactly the same mainstream, watered-down structure: verse (screaming)-chorus (singing)-verse (screaming)-chorus (singing)-breakdown-end chorus (singing).

It's no longer about the music. It's about catchiness, trendiness, sex appeal and fads. People don't go to shows to sing along, people go to shows to stand around and act cooler than everyone else. Of course there's always been a fad/genre that's had this; it's just that before 2005, it didn't apply to pop-punk/metalcore/hardcore shows.
I remember a show I went to back in 2004 in Augusta, Maine, where a certain band played. The stage was maybe a foot off the ground, insulation was coming out of the ceiling, and there were about 50 people there, none of which had tight pants or eyeliner. The band played mostly songs from their first CD, even though they still had two CDs out back then. I saw this same band for a second time in Fredericksburg, Virginia a few weeks ago and it was like it was a totally different group. The floor was packed with scenesters standing around and trying to look cool, and the band only played their new, noticeably more mainstream and watered-down material.
This show in Fredericksburg that they played at was a prime example of what the hardcore scene has become. The most noticeable example was right after a local hardcore band from the area got done playing and the next band, a very MySpace-famous hardcore group, started to set up. The local band had gotten a huge response; 300 or so people all dancing, stage-diving and singing along. Then when their set was over and the next band started to set up, everyone that had just been on stage singing or on the floor dancing walked away to the other room, and, like a slow tidal wave, the scenesters that had been previously hanging out in the back of the club started moving up towards the front to stand around and sneer at people. When the band started playing, no one moved. No matter how much the band themselves thrashed around, there was no dancing, no singing along, no stage diving, no movement or activity in the crowd whatsoever. Just a swarm of scenesters staring blankly up at the stage, occasionally taking pictures with their **bleep**ty digital cameras to post on MySpace so they could claim they were at a hardcore show and brag about the brutal mosh they were in when they took those pictures. Then, their set ended, and like a tidal wave slowly getting sucked back out to sea, the scenesters all retreated back to their shadowy corners in the back of the club to smoke cigarettes and **bleep** about the non-scene bands that were playing.

I've made an image of the hardcore scene then and now to better convey the point I'm trying to get across:

It hasn't gotten to the point where there are NO good bands left and there's NO band that hasnt been completely swallowed up by scenesters and trends, and it hasn't gotten to the point where there are NO good shows anymore, where people actually sing along and the music means more to them than the image, but as time goes on, it gets closer and closer to that point. Bands are turning mainstream, losing members or just breaking up entirely. As hardcore gets more trendy and popular, there are more and more scenesters at shows and less and less people there for the actual music. As hardcore and hardcore sub-genres continue to gain in popularity, the music isn't getting more popular, the image is.

And what exactly IS the image? Well, for those of you who have been living under a rock for the past two years (or for those who simply have never browsed MySpace and haven't been to any concerts, malls or any kind of social teen gathering since 2004) the scene image is essentially the same as the goth image was, except more **bleep**ty and trashy, with tighter clothes, more outrageous usage of make-up, more ridiculous hair styles, less chains and much more of a transvestite feel to the whole thing. Still don't get it? The picture below should serve as a fairly accurate representation of what the scene community looks like overall.

The traditional scene hair is basically an enormous black backwards mullet. Curls are a big no-no. Scene hair is always perfectly straight, while remaining poofy on top, and is normally accompanied by some sort of small colored bow. Normally I would follow this with a picture of a well-known teen MySpace scene celebrity with the type of hair I'm describing, but I actually came across a much more suiting image while browsing through an online costume shop.

The whole "backwards, poofy black mullet" thing doesn't always have to be what all scene hair looks like, though; scene hairstyles can range from looking like a large dead skunk to looking like a large dead raccoon. Possibly in some cases just a very large dead bird of some sort. See below for examples.

Besides the larger more excessive hair, one of the big differences between the teen-goth trend and the teen-scene trend is, for males, the more feminine, skinny and resembling of a homosexual coked-out drag queen from the eighties you look, the cooler you are and the more attention you get. This makes it incredibly difficult to distinguish between genders amongst scene kids, especially when they are in large groups; 'is that a scene boy trying to look like a scene girl, or is it just a scene girl?'

Below are six images displaying sexual androgyny amongst scenesters. Try to guess which gender each one is while looking at them. Hint: if you guess anything other than boy for any of them, you are wrong.

Yes, the people in the pictures above are indeed all male. The goth trend definitely never had this kind of **bleep**. And before you say it, no, I have absolutely nothing against transsexuals, but there is a huge difference between someone who truly feels they are a male or female trapped in the body of the opposite gender and teenage High School hipsters who dress insanely feminine simply for attention and because it's the cool thing to do at the time.

...Which brings me to my next topic. Here are a few images I made of what the scene does to people over time. Yes, the before and after photos on both images are the same person.

Oh, and please don't give me the line about how these changes in appearance were done because of originality or self-expression; both of those things go right out the window when you have thousands of other people doing the exact same thing that you're doing.

To quote the 1998 movie SLC Punk, a film about the punk scene in the 80s, a girl asks a punk:
Wouldn't it be more of an act of rebellion if you didn't spend so much time buying blue hair dye and going out to get punky clothes? It seems so petty. You wanna be an individual, right? You look like you're wearing a uniform. You look like a punk. That's not rebellion, that's fashion.

And to quote a 2003 episode of South Park, where a goth kid explains to one of the main characters how to become one of them:
If you wanna be one of the non-conformists all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to the same music we do.

So, no; using the originality card does not apply when sending me hatemail about this blog. The scene trend is no more original than any other trend, and being a part of it doesn't make you an individual, it makes you a statistic. Believe it or not, looking and acting like everybody else does not make you original. For further proof of how unoriginal scenesters are, I've compiled a group of photos taken from random MySpaces, each one displaying a common
MySpace pose.

For an animation that I created of these poses, look here and here.

My point is that fads are like a plague; they spread from one genre to another, attaching themselves to the bands of that genre until they have completely sucked the life and the music out of it, then they move on to the next one.
MySpace is the new MTV. The MTV era has evolved (although, again, I think DEvolved would be a better word here) into the MySpace era, but it's still essentially the same thing, just through a different medium.
MySpace popularizes bands and genres that most people were previously uninterested in by showing off a brand new cutting edge type of music/fashion that brain dead impressionable teens see and cling to so that they can fit in with the newest trend. One person sees a new band and that band's fan base and decides to start dressing and acting like them. Another person sees this first person, notices how popular they suddenly are, and then decides to start dressing and acting like them too. More people see this and they start following suit for the sake of trendiness and popularity until you have thousands of people looking, dressing, and acting exactly the same. Copies of copies of copies of copies.
This same concept works for bands as well as people. One person hears a new band's musical style, notices how hugely popular they are, and copies it and calls it their own by making a new, almost identical band. Other people see this and get the same idea until you have thousands of replicas of essentially the same exact thing flooding the internet.
In the past few years this plague has slowly moved from rap to nu-metal to pop-punk to metalcore and now into grindcore/death metal, or the so-called deathcore genre.
Bands such as Job for a Cowboy, Wecamewithbrokenteeth, Preschool Tea Party Massacre and Bring Me the Horizon are quickly gaining in popularity not because the music they're making is new or unique but because scenesters are getting bored of metalcore and pop-punk and are latching onto the next genre they can find, slowly making it more and more popular until the music is completely irrelevant and it's only about the image and being fashionable.

The truth is that, no matter how vain and arrogant these scenesters are, their fame and popularity does not exist outside of the internet. This is the case with most any teenage internet celebrity. In reality, they're a loner. The kid that sits alone at lunch, the kid all the jocks and cheerleaders pick on, the weird one. So their revenge is to find the one place where the weirder they act and dress, the more they're accepted. The internet. Particularly, MySpace.

In high school, the most popular girl, the tall blonde all-American girl that has straight As, is class president and head cheerleader, the girl that all the guys want and all the girls want to be, well, you can bet her MySpace has maybe 80 friends and 150 comments, tops. You can bet she has that lame cliché automatic survey on her page, all those flashing pink icons and a million things like What drink r u? all over her page. And guess what, the captain of the football team, the 6-foot-5 guy with perfect abs that all the girls want and all the guys want to be, well, his MySpace has maybe 60 friends and 100 comments, tops. But, remember that skinny boy with the black hair and makeup that sits by himself in the corner all the time, that all those jock and cheerleader types make fun of? Lets call him Bob. Well, Bob has 47,000 friends and 19,560 comments. He has 750,000 profile views and a billion girls and guys telling him how much they want his sex. He's 1 in the top 8s of people he doesn't know and has never met. And he thinks hes the most amazing thing ever because of this. So he gradually becomes more and more of an elitist snob and expects everyone to love him but at the same time treats everyone else like **bleep**. And of course, that's exactly what happens. Just like the tall blonde class president and the 6-foot-5 football captain, except their popularity is only in real life, whereas scenester kids like Bob are only popular online. In real life people beat him up, call him a **bleep**, a **bleep**, a tranny, and he gets revenge on the world by being just as snobby and cruel to everyone else as the real-life people are to him through the only way he knows how; by becoming a self-absorbed scenester MySpace celebrity.

In a few years, months, weeks, maybe even days, this trend will be dead. People will look back on bands like Panic! At the Disco the same way people look back on bands like Nsync now. And then they'll spread to the next trendy genre, and once it's been used up, the next and the next and the next. The world could be deaf and scenesters would still claim to love whatever band has black hair and millions of MySpace views.

Basically, the whole scene thing just sucks.

=)
Message 1 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3750 posts

Re: About Scene kids

Sep 27, 2008
Next time write something I care about.
Message Edited by PSforever on 09-26-2008 10:25 PM
I had a sig but it was a couple years old so I removed it.
Message 2 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Sep 27, 2008

Yea..I really don't care about this. Its just a bunch of ugly ass looking kids that think putting on hella makeup dressing in what seems IMO clothes that a hobo would wear, thinking that they are cool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------Photobucket
Message 3 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15166 posts

Sep 27, 2008

PSforever wrote:

Yeah, I don't see why this topic needed such a long post.

Message 4 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4236 posts

Sep 27, 2008

NK wrote:

PSforever wrote:

I never said you had to read it I just found this article or blog someone wrote that was funny. If you did not care why waste your time posting?

=)
Message 5 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3750 posts

Sep 27, 2008

Shark3y wrote:

NK wrote:

PSforever wrote:

I never said you had to read it I just found this article or blog someone wrote that was funny. If you did not care why waste your time posting?

True enough. I myself actually read the whole thing I find it funny but I mean come on who doesn't know that trends come and go by now...

Message 6 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4236 posts

Sep 27, 2008

PSforever wrote:

I did not write this , I found this and thought it was funny. dgaf.
Message Edited by Shark3y on 09-26-2008 10:33 PM
=)
Message 7 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4236 posts

Sep 27, 2008

PSforever wrote:

Shark3y wrote:

NK wrote:

PSforever wrote:

True enough. I myself actually read the whole thing I find it funny but I mean come on who doesn't know that trends come and go by now...

Well I mean I knew who they were and what they were about. But some of the things this guy points out was hilarious to me and also that before and after thing haha.
=)
Message 8 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Sep 27, 2008
I agree, I dislike Scenesters. Very much. Especially Jeffree Star.........
Message 9 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3750 posts

Sep 27, 2008

Shark3y wrote:

PSforever wrote:

Shark3y wrote:

NK wrote:

PSforever wrote:

Well I mean I knew who they were and what they were about. But some of the things this guy points out was hilarious to me and also that before and after thing haha.

Yeah the before and after things were really funny i've actually seen that myself when I came back to school this year. Some girl that was in my homeroom last year who was a complete prep came to my homeroom this year dressed scene with blonde hair with pink highlights. 

Message 10 of 103 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes