Reply
Feb 18 2011
By: curiousecat Uncharted Territory 1475 posts
Offline

A debate about the PS3

19 replies 14 views Edited Feb 18, 2011

By Now we all have heard of Sony -VS Hackers http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/

and Th Other OS http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/ Lawsuites

But what does it all mean? People are angry at the hackers for breaching the console. and people are angry at theremoval of the "other OS' feature

that many people have used.

We can not blame the hackers for Sony's updates taht cause issues, they are not the ones that create the code that goes into your machine from Sony.

This is a miss conception that people have that becasue of the hackers Sony's updates that have caused issues witht  he PS3 are some how mysteriously the hackers fault.

and while the blame game goes on were forgetting one thing. Were forgetting that SCEA did indeed have an issues with 3.56 and the issue are 2 fold.

1 the company was not very forth coming on the first update that had issues and they weren't very forth coming about the latest update V2 of 3.56

I my self had called in to the consumer services on several occasions only to get missinformed and when I finally told them what I knew they suddenly said, after searching there data base oh yeah there was an issue. Many times I even called  anon. I was calling in as a consumer that was thinking aobut purcahsing a PS3 and got the same story, There is and never was an issue with the update . I did how ever mannage to get 3 Reps to admit that there was indeed an issue. but that was out of 13 calls.

The other thing that you may not be aware of is that Norway is statrting a major investigatin into the ToS .

I can safely say that the PS3 has indeed done everything. Including starting major debates on rather or not we own the console .

And this is where I am leading to.

What is the PS3? I mean is it leased? Do we Own it? What gives Sony the right to still maintain Physical Controll over our PS3's if we own them?

I Offer this thread as a safe haven for the topic.

Lets freely discuss this issue in a constructive manner and let us "Reason with one another" and come to an understanding .

taht we all are different and we all have our own values  and beliefs in what the console was and is capable of.

We should not judge other for what they chose to use there PS3's for.

so com on down and lets have a talk.

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Message 1 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8191 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

All I care about is that I am happy I use my PS3 the way it was intended to be used. I buy all my games, get all my DLC from them and I'm a happy camper.

And, someone uses CFW? I can just say that Sony should just ban them. They didn't follow the easy-to read TOS, so get rid of them.

In fact, GH released his OtherOS Exploit in January 2010 and everybody partied until Sony was forced to release an update that kills OtherOS in March 2010. At first, he panics, then he painted a picture that Sony is the bad guy due to many posts over his blog slowly inching to paint that picture. After that, he leaves and locks up the blog, causing his planted painted picture to spread all over the web like a disease. With no fact checking, people just took what GeoHot painted: Hook, Line and Sinker.

And, after months of leaving? A completely *different* team of butt-heads who don't have a better use for their time called fail0verflow got hold of the PS3's keys, then GH swooped in, took the keys, released it and took part of the credit. GH stands for GeoHot, and it also stands for Glory Hog.

Now, the people who support these hacks want them to continue to the point where the PS3 has CFW like the M33 and GEN, where every ISO can be downloaded and fired up on the PS3 super-easy. They started making propaganda, painting Sony as the bad guys just like GH, taking quotes out of context, spreading disinformation and using paranoia just to get people to support them.

And in the end? THE LEGIT-PAYING CONSUMERS LOSE. We have seen it on the PSP: System gets hacked, slowly gets hacked more, then ISO pirating started, then ISO-pirating shoots up, developers starts abandong platform, CWCHEAT plugin gets released, ISO-pirating goes up higher, devs refusing to make newer PSP games, CWCHEAT starts to be used online and ruins the online games of the PSP, then finally many people just got sick of it, blah, blah blah....

Sony would have left OtherOS all alone, only if GeoHot and everyone else played nicely.

Their actions in preventing the PS3 turned into a half-dead platform like the PSP is justified.

With all that said, GOOD MORNING! It's 9AM in Toronto and the first thing I done in the morning was fire up PSF.

Message 2 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/20/2008
Offline
309 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

All I care about is that I am happy I use my PS3 the way it was intended to be used. I buy all my games, get all my DLC from them and I'm a happy camper.

And, someone uses CFW? I can just say that Sony should just ban them. They didn't follow the easy-to read TOS, so get rid of them.

In fact, GH released his OtherOS Exploit in January 2010 and everybody partied until Sony was forced to release an update that kills OtherOS in March 2010. At first, he panics, then he painted a picture that Sony is the bad guy due to many posts over his blog slowly inching to paint that picture. After that, he leaves and locks up the blog, causing his planted painted picture to spread all over the web like a disease. With no fact checking, people just took what GeoHot painted: Hook, Line and Sinker.

And, after months of leaving? A completely *different* team of butt-heads who don't have a better use for their time called fail0verflow got hold of the PS3's keys, then GH swooped in, took the keys, released it and took part of the credit. GH stands for GeoHot, and it also stands for Glory Hog.

Now, the people who support these hacks want them to continue to the point where the PS3 has CFW like the M33 and GEN, where every ISO can be downloaded and fired up on the PS3 super-easy. They started making propaganda, painting Sony as the bad guys just like GH, taking quotes out of context, spreading disinformation and using paranoia just to get people to support them.

And in the end? THE LEGIT-PAYING CONSUMERS LOSE. We have seen it on the PSP: System gets hacked, slowly gets hacked more, then ISO pirating started, then ISO-pirating shoots up, developers starts abandong platform, CWCHEAT plugin gets released, ISO-pirating goes up higher, devs refusing to make newer PSP games, CWCHEAT starts to be used online and ruins the online games of the PSP, then finally many people just got sick of it, blah, blah blah....

Sony would have left OtherOS all alone, only if GeoHot and everyone else played nicely.

Their actions in preventing the PS3 turned into a half-dead platform like the PSP is justified.



I couldnt have said it any better. I am guilty though. I tried to have my psp hacked so I could get all the old nes and genesis games. Well I have a psp-3000 and wasnt able to. I never intended to iso pirate games though. I like having a catalog I can display. As for the PS3, aside from upgrading my HDD, I wouldnt be stupid to mess with it. Sony offers a great product, why try to exploit it. I guess thats why people like us havent had any problems with the latest FW updates.

Message 3 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8191 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

Sony themselves have stated that they don't care about Homebrew (NES and Genesis games) and their only problem is Piracy.

Message 4 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/21/2009
Offline
1475 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

And I agree homebrewing is good amny good things can come from it. But when people abuse it that is an entirely different issue.

Now hackers are not responsible for the latest firmware debacle that is Sony's entire doing. hackers didn't write the code for the update in this case.

And  it is Sony's actions not hackers that dammaged the consoles.

I am Old school in thaught do not blame some one else cor the fault. in this case the Source came from Sony , Sony caused the issue.. we can not blame the actions of one entity on another entity .

We got so used to blaming others that we have forgoton how to lay blame on the one soly responsible for the issue..The hackers may have been a catylist, but Sony wrote the code.

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Message 5 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/20/2008
Offline
309 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

curiousecat wrote:

Now hackers are not responsible for the latest firmware debacle that is Sony's entire doing. hackers didn't write the code for the update in this case.



Sony wouldnt have had to write new code if it wasnt for the hackers ruining things for the legit owners out there. So yes, the hackers brought this on for all of us.

Message 6 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/21/2009
Offline
1475 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

DALBERT79 wrote:

curiousecat wrote:

Now hackers are not responsible for the latest firmware debacle that is Sony's entire doing. hackers didn't write the code for the update in this case.



Sony wouldnt have had to write new code if it wasnt for the hackers ruining things for the legit owners out there. So yes, the hackers brought this on for all of us.

not agreeing nor dissagreeing with "Why" Sony wrote the code, Stating on "HOW" THEY WROTE THE Code..

Big difference there. taht can not be blamed on the hackers..Unless the corrperation had some other entitiy write it for them??

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Message 7 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/14/2011
Offline
18 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 18, 2011

I have to say that i have an 80 gig fat version that doesnt read blu-rays (games and movies) since the latest FW update.  I do not blame the hackers for my system being screwed up i blame Sony for releasing a hack job FW that doesnt work right.  I get the point that hackers made Sony release the new FW but they did not force sony to brick a bunch of systems either.  I think that when you run a business you take care of your loyal customers FIRST then deal with the misusers after.  You have to always treat loyal customers well or they will not buy your product next time around.

Message 8 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 04/10/2007
Offline
2156 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 19, 2011

When you buy the ps3, you can do what ever you want with the hardware.

BUT-you agree with terms and conditions to use sonys service..PSN. if you violate the terms (such as CFW) you will be banned form PSN.

Sony is in the right for banning people that hack there PS3's, and Geohotz is in the right with modding his ps3.

Contraty to what sony said, hacking your ps3 is legal, and so is hacking in games (full health mods etc). its perfectly legal. but it violates the terms of service, and you get banned buy sony.

The same story with the iPhone. Apple said it was illegal to hack the iphone on the claims that the iphone os is "leased" to you. but that was overrulled by the courts, and they said it is infact perfectly leagal to do what you wish with the iphone, but if you violate apples agreement, apple can ban you from there services.

piracy, and all that, is illegal, with out without "offical" firmware

-evilbunny


Message 9 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 01/20/2011
Offline
20 posts
 

Re: A debate about the PS3

Feb 19, 2011

It will all be over soon, Jailbreakers are saying screw you sony and are making alt. PSN that they will be using. They own it so if they want to hack or any of that they can do so and should not be looked down apon. The people everyone are against are not the jailbreakers, its the game save mods that people are using. Big diffrence if you think about it. Most jailbreakers are harmless in the fact that they are just using there system to the max. Saying every jailbreaker is a pirate is wrong. Game moders are the MW2 users that patch the game saves for aimbots and all. Sony are stopping the jailbreakers but not the modders, the wrong people are being blammed since you can mode a game on OFW

Message 10 of 20 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes