Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2009
Offline
4918 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 4, 2013
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.
Message 91 of 217 (85 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14608 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 4, 2013

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 92 of 217 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
36685 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 4, 2013

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

i have actually read that before
might be true but im not sure


the whole state wont start doing it tho lmao


Message 93 of 217 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
36685 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 4, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


didnt you say you are a junior is hs?

drinking age is 21 Smiley Wink


Message 94 of 217 (76 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14608 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


didnt you say you are a junior is hs?

drinking age is 21 Smiley Wink


I am a senior. And where do I imply that I drink? Or are you referring to this? I said this in the first person as just a way to illustrate my point. It would be like me saying "I could just go and stab someone instead of making a mess by shooting them in the head". The point illustrated is that there is a more viable alternative. Not actually looking at MYSELF and the difficulty of buying a gun. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 95 of 217 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
36685 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 5, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


didnt you say you are a junior is hs?

drinking age is 21 Smiley Wink


I am a senior. And where do I imply that I drink? Or are you referring to this? I said this in the first person as just a way to illustrate my point. It would be like me saying "I could just go and stab someone instead of making a mess by shooting them in the head". The point illustrated is that there is a more viable alternative. Not actually looking at MYSELF and the difficulty of buying a gun. 


ohh ok i thought you might have been breaking the law there or something


Message 96 of 217 (58 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2009
Offline
4918 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 5, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


I certainly believe you are right in the social aspect, but there is another area to consider. When approaching a gateway drug from an addicts viewpoint, the gateway would be the substance from which they first got their first high. This is where things like cigarettes and alcohol would come in. Then you have things like glue and other various inhalents which could also be at fault.

 

Back in my middle/high school days, the biggest gateway drug I noticed was legal, mood altering prescription drugs, like prozac and lithium. Practically everyone was doing them, from the outcasts to our class valedicatorian and the majority of the football team. Most of these people wouldn't smoke pot, which they considered a drug, but would gladly snort a pill or two in order to help them study or get amped up for a game. Now the vast majority of these people didn't become addicts but not all. A few are now dead and others are junkies. Very few people that I grew up with became addicts after starting with pot. I'm not saying that this is indicative of the entire country, merely my own experiences.

Message 97 of 217 (52 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14608 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 5, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


didnt you say you are a junior is hs?

drinking age is 21 Smiley Wink


I am a senior. And where do I imply that I drink? Or are you referring to this? I said this in the first person as just a way to illustrate my point. It would be like me saying "I could just go and stab someone instead of making a mess by shooting them in the head". The point illustrated is that there is a more viable alternative. Not actually looking at MYSELF and the difficulty of buying a gun. 


ohh ok i thought you might have been breaking the law there or something


Nahhh. I am not big on using things that take me out of the driver's seat of my life. I can be social without substances, whether it be alcohol, pot, or LSD.

 

I want to clarify my viewpoint a bit. I support decriminalization. It is pretty awful that minor users are thrown in prison for a nice, long sentence. I am, however, against any commercialization of addictive substances. I hate cigarette companies, for example. Anyone making a buck at the expense of an addiction is not okay in my book. I am a tad leaner on alcohol because I know a lot of drinkers who do not get drunk. One can have a few beers and not even get buzzed. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 98 of 217 (50 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
36685 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 5, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

taker-77 wrote:
Personally, I don't buy the gateway drug theory. My biggest issue is that it only seems to take illegal drugs into the equation and not something like tobacco, alcohol or legal prescription drugs.

That argument isn't really relevant to this conversation anyway. The actual topic at hand is that there is a growing trend in this country to legalize pot. We currently have two states that have legalized it outright and 20 states (plus D.C.) that allow for medicinal pot. I am happy to say that in my state (Maine) there is a growing trend to legalize recreational pot. I fully expect to see it on the referendum next year.

Once some time has passed, it will be interesting to see some stats from the states where pot has been legalized. I'm especially curious to see if the amount of people smoking pot will increase. I have a feeling that it may actually decrease in an area where it is legal as many people like to do something simply because it is illegal.

My guess is it will decrease among teens and increase among the general public. And the gateway theory is not pot's fault necessarily. It is more to do with drug culture and what it has to do with pot. 

 

Alcohol and cigarettes are not going to have me join my druggie friends because I can drink and smoke with anyone. It is the culture. My friend wants to smoke pot? He goes with my buddies who do the same thing. It is a social experience for its users. I can just ask someone if they want to go for a drink. And smoking a cigarette is more of a relief for its users than a euphoric "experience"


didnt you say you are a junior is hs?

drinking age is 21 Smiley Wink


I am a senior. And where do I imply that I drink? Or are you referring to this? I said this in the first person as just a way to illustrate my point. It would be like me saying "I could just go and stab someone instead of making a mess by shooting them in the head". The point illustrated is that there is a more viable alternative. Not actually looking at MYSELF and the difficulty of buying a gun. 


ohh ok i thought you might have been breaking the law there or something


Nahhh. I am not big on using things that take me out of the driver's seat of my life. I can be social without substances, whether it be alcohol, pot, or LSD.

 

I want to clarify my viewpoint a bit. I support decriminalization. It is pretty awful that minor users are thrown in prison for a nice, long sentence. I am, however, against any commercialization of addictive substances. I hate cigarette companies, for example. Anyone making a buck at the expense of an addiction is not okay in my book. I am a tad leaner on alcohol because I know a lot of drinkers who do not get drunk. One can have a few beers and not even get buzzed. 


thats if they have a good alcohol tolerance

if a pothead smokes a little joint and no more all day he might not get high either. just get by

also people dont only smoke marijuana to be sociial (some do) but people use it for all different reasons. it has so many benefits


Message 99 of 217 (44 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/31/2013
Offline
734 posts
 

Re: 58% support marijuana legalization!

Nov 5, 2013

Ive done it all. Im a recovered drug addict. Only weed for me now Smiley Happy Cant wait for it to be legal!

Message 100 of 217 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes