Reply
Dec 24 2013
By: NoSunNoFun Lombax Warrior 136 posts
Offline

15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

25 replies 219 views Edited Dec 24, 2013

Here is a list of 15 things which, if you give up on them, will make your life a lot easier and much, much happier. We hold on to so many things that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering – and instead of letting them all go, instead of allowing ourselves to be stress free and happy – we cling on to them. Not anymore. Starting today we will give up on all those things that no longer serve us, and we will embrace change. 

 

1. Give up your need to always be right

 There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain, for us and for others. It’s just not worth it. Whenever you feel the ‘urgent’ need to jump into a fight over who is right and who is wrong, ask yourself this question: “Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind?” Wayne Dyer. What difference will that make? Is your ego really that big?

  2. Give up your need for control

Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you – situations, events, people, etc. Whether they are loved ones, coworkers, or just strangers you meet on the street – just allow them to be. Allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better will that make you feel.

“By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond winning.” Lao Tzu

  3. Give up on blame

 Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your life.

  4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk

 Oh my. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative, polluted and repetitive self-defeating mindset? Don’t believe everything that your mind is telling you – especially if it’s negative and self-defeating. You are better than that.

“The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly. Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive.” Eckhart Tolle

  5. Give up your limiting beliefs

about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible. From now on, you are no longer going to allow your limiting beliefs to keep you stuck in the wrong place. Spread your wings and fly!

“A belief is not an idea held by the mind, it is an idea that holds the mind” Elly Roselle

  6. Give up complaining

 Give up your constant need to complain about those many, many, maaany things – people, situations, events that make you unhappy, sad and depressed. Nobody can make you unhappy, no situation can make you sad or miserable unless you allow it to. It’s not the situation that triggers those feelings in you, but how you choose to look at it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.

  7. Give up the luxury of criticism

Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you. We are all different, yet we are all the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. We all want something, and something is wished by us all.

  8. Give up your need to impress others

Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. It doesn’t work this way. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, the moment you take off all your masks, the moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you, effortlessly.

  9. Give up your resistance to change

 Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B. Change will help you make improvements in your life and also the lives of those around you. Follow your bliss, embrace change – don’t resist it.
“Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls” 
Joseph Campbell

  10. Give up labels

 Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open. “The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.” Wayne Dyer

  11. Give up on your fears

Fear is just an illusion, it doesn’t exist – you created it. It’s all in your mind. Correct the inside and the outside will fall into place.
“The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”
 Franklin D. Roosevelt

  12. Give up your excuses

Send them packing and tell them they’re fired. You no longer need them. A lot of times we limit ourselves because of the many excuses we use. Instead of growing and working on improving ourselves and our lives, we get stuck, lying to ourselves, using all kind of excuses – excuses that 99.9% of the time are not even real.

  13. Give up the past

I know, I know. It’s hard. Especially when the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so frightening, but you have to take into consideration the fact that the present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present. Stop deluding yourself. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. After all life is a journey not a destination. Have a clear vision for the future, prepare yourself, but always be present in the now.

  14. Give up attachment

This is a concept that, for most of us is so hard to grasp and I have to tell you that it was for me too, (it still is) but it’s not something impossible. You get better and better at with time and practice. The moment you detach yourself from all things, (and that doesn’t mean you give up your love for them – because love and attachment have nothing to do with one another,  attachment comes from a place of fear, while love… well, real love is pure, kind, and self less, where there is love there can’t be fear, and because of that, attachment and love cannot coexist) you become so peaceful, so tolerant, so kind, and so serene. You will get to a place where you will be able to understand all things without even trying. A state beyond words.

  15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations

Way too many people are living a life that is not theirs to live. They live their lives according to what others think is best for them, they live their lives according to what their parents think is best for them, to what their friends, their enemies and their teachers, their government and the media think is best for them. They ignore their inner voice, that inner calling. They are so busy with pleasing everybody, with living up to other people’s expectations, that they lose control over their lives. They forget what makes them happy, what they want, what they need….and eventually they forget about themselves.  You have one life – this one right now – you must live it, own it, and especially don’t let other people’s opinions distract you from your path.

 

http://www.purposefairy.com/3308/15-things-you-should-give-up-in-order-to-be-happy/

 

Message 1 of 26 (219 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 12/09/2013
Offline
526 posts
 

Re: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013
Very glad to not see 'give up coffee' in there.
"You're as randomly lethal and entirely confused as you ever were."
Message 2 of 26 (214 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

1. I do not need to be right, yet I may come off like that sometimes. I may just be trying to rile you up or maybe I want to hear your point and you are not giving me enough. 

2. Meh. I am not too controlling either.

3. I believe in holding yourself acocuntable for things you do in life. I try to put blame where it is due. Obviously, I may not do this all the time.

4. I am not lacking in confidence. Almost a bad thing.

5. Limiting beliefs are necessary in being a realist. And I am a realist.

6. I complain, but I do not see it as harmful.

7. I will criticize because it is often necessary to understand.

8. I fall victim to this at times, but it is something I try to stop.

9. Depends on the change. Certain things in our culture and the world bother me and I am not going down without my voice being heard.

10. This is called making heuristics. We do it because our brains are lazy. Just think more and you can deal with them. But lables are good as shortcuts, too. Our brain does it for a reason. They help for survival. For example, if I walk through an alley in Oakland, California, I am not going to give the shady figures the benefit of the doubt. I will get my butt out of there even if they are possibly good guys.

11. Fears exist for a reason and I will hold onto them. And this is easier said than done.

12. You can have excuses, but you should never use them to excuse yourself from acting on the circumstances. If you get fired because your boss has it in for you, find yourself a better job.

13. Nostalgia is fine as long as it does not stop you from enjoying the present. I love my memories and will hold onto them dearly.

14. I will not even comment on this one -_-

15. This is idealistic. I must meet the expectations of others so that I may take their job some day. I also need to ensure I get in a good school and other programs. I will not be happy if I cannot afford to do what I love doing or have the money to provide for those I love. We cannot just all become roadside hippies who like making music.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 3 of 26 (209 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/15/2013
Offline
136 posts
 

Re: 15 Things YouL Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

1. I do not need to be right, yet I may come off like that sometimes. I may just be trying to rile you up or maybe I want to hear your point and you are not giving me enough. 

2. Meh. I am not too controlling either.

3. I believe in holding yourself acocuntable for things you do in life. I try to put blame where it is due. Obviously, I may not do this all the time.

4. I am not lacking in confidence. Almost a bad thing.

5. Limiting beliefs are necessary in being a realist. And I am a realist.

6. I complain, but I do not see it as harmful.

7. I will criticize because it is often necessary to understand.

8. I fall victim to this at times, but it is something I try to stop.

9. Depends on the change. Certain things in our culture and the world bother me and I am not going down without my voice being heard.

10. This is called making heuristics. We do it because our brains are lazy. Just think more and you can deal with them. But lables are good as shortcuts, too. Our brain does it for a reason. They help for survival. For example, if I walk through an alley in Oakland, California, I am not going to give the shady figures the benefit of the doubt. I will get my butt out of there even if they are possibly good guys.

11. Fears exist for a reason and I will hold onto them. And this is easier said than done.

12. You can have excuses, but you should never use them to excuse yourself from acting on the circumstances. If you get fired because your boss has it in for you, find yourself a better job.

13. Nostalgia is fine as long as it does not stop you from enjoying the present. I love my memories and will hold onto them dearly.

14. I will not even comment on this one -_-

15. This is idealistic. I must meet the expectations of others so that I may take their job some day. I also need to ensure I get in a good school and other programs. I will not be happy if I cannot afford to do what I love doing or have the money to provide for those I love. We cannot just all become roadside hippies who like making music.


I believe 15 is reffering to more peer pressure situations. Give up the fear of being wrong in the eyes of those you love I believe it's trying to say.

Message 4 of 26 (200 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 05/09/2005
Offline
19100 posts
 

Re: 15 Things YouL Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

#16 working for an abusive boss.

Yeah, it's that easy to quit on him, but not so easy when you enjoy what you yourself do.

 photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 5 of 26 (197 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: 15 Things YouL Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

NoSunNoFun wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

1. I do not need to be right, yet I may come off like that sometimes. I may just be trying to rile you up or maybe I want to hear your point and you are not giving me enough. 

2. Meh. I am not too controlling either.

3. I believe in holding yourself acocuntable for things you do in life. I try to put blame where it is due. Obviously, I may not do this all the time.

4. I am not lacking in confidence. Almost a bad thing.

5. Limiting beliefs are necessary in being a realist. And I am a realist.

6. I complain, but I do not see it as harmful.

7. I will criticize because it is often necessary to understand.

8. I fall victim to this at times, but it is something I try to stop.

9. Depends on the change. Certain things in our culture and the world bother me and I am not going down without my voice being heard.

10. This is called making heuristics. We do it because our brains are lazy. Just think more and you can deal with them. But lables are good as shortcuts, too. Our brain does it for a reason. They help for survival. For example, if I walk through an alley in Oakland, California, I am not going to give the shady figures the benefit of the doubt. I will get my butt out of there even if they are possibly good guys.

11. Fears exist for a reason and I will hold onto them. And this is easier said than done.

12. You can have excuses, but you should never use them to excuse yourself from acting on the circumstances. If you get fired because your boss has it in for you, find yourself a better job.

13. Nostalgia is fine as long as it does not stop you from enjoying the present. I love my memories and will hold onto them dearly.

14. I will not even comment on this one -_-

15. This is idealistic. I must meet the expectations of others so that I may take their job some day. I also need to ensure I get in a good school and other programs. I will not be happy if I cannot afford to do what I love doing or have the money to provide for those I love. We cannot just all become roadside hippies who like making music.


I believe 15 is reffering to more peer pressure situations. Give up the fear of being wrong in the eyes of those you love I believe it's trying to say.


I know what they are getting at, but, as a whole, the idea kinda falls flat in the real world.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 6 of 26 (192 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/15/2013
Offline
136 posts
 

Re: 15 Things YouL Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

NoSunNoFun wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

1. I do not need to be right, yet I may come off like that sometimes. I may just be trying to rile you up or maybe I want to hear your point and you are not giving me enough. 

2. Meh. I am not too controlling either.

3. I believe in holding yourself acocuntable for things you do in life. I try to put blame where it is due. Obviously, I may not do this all the time.

4. I am not lacking in confidence. Almost a bad thing.

5. Limiting beliefs are necessary in being a realist. And I am a realist.

6. I complain, but I do not see it as harmful.

7. I will criticize because it is often necessary to understand.

8. I fall victim to this at times, but it is something I try to stop.

9. Depends on the change. Certain things in our culture and the world bother me and I am not going down without my voice being heard.

10. This is called making heuristics. We do it because our brains are lazy. Just think more and you can deal with them. But lables are good as shortcuts, too. Our brain does it for a reason. They help for survival. For example, if I walk through an alley in Oakland, California, I am not going to give the shady figures the benefit of the doubt. I will get my butt out of there even if they are possibly good guys.

11. Fears exist for a reason and I will hold onto them. And this is easier said than done.

12. You can have excuses, but you should never use them to excuse yourself from acting on the circumstances. If you get fired because your boss has it in for you, find yourself a better job.

13. Nostalgia is fine as long as it does not stop you from enjoying the present. I love my memories and will hold onto them dearly.

14. I will not even comment on this one -_-

15. This is idealistic. I must meet the expectations of others so that I may take their job some day. I also need to ensure I get in a good school and other programs. I will not be happy if I cannot afford to do what I love doing or have the money to provide for those I love. We cannot just all become roadside hippies who like making music.


I believe 15 is reffering to more peer pressure situations. Give up the fear of being wrong in the eyes of those you love I believe it's trying to say.


I know what they are getting at, but, as a whole, the idea kinda falls flat in the real world.


By giving up the fear of being wrong, it frees your mind and opens you to new ideas. The "real world" has just been a series of progressions by men not afriad of what they could do. Your boss can't tell you that your brilliant idea isn't good, because ultimately, if you want to take his job, you'll have to be free of all mental set backs.Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 26 (183 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/25/2009
Offline
4700 posts
 

Re: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013
Amazingly accurate list in my opinion. Smiley Happy

Something to keep in mind.
Message 8 of 26 (161 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/23/2013
Offline
2971 posts
 

Re: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2013

I couldn't be bothered to list out all of them, but I'm prone to a fair few of the points listed. I put myself down in my head a lot.

 photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 9 of 26 (158 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/15/2013
Offline
136 posts
 

Re: 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

Dec 24, 2013

Solid---Steak wrote:

I couldn't be bothered to list out all of them, but I'm prone to a fair few of the points listed. I put myself down in my head a lot.


Indeed, I do the same. We should try to change that into constructive criticism instead.

Message 10 of 26 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes