Fender Bender
2599 posts

Re: 12 GIG PS3s are not worth it

Dec 8, 2013

Box9Missingo wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:
In a way I can understand why you say that, but in a way, I cannot.

The PS3 SS is $200 for the 12GB, and is a blu ray player, has free online and has controllers with built in batteries, yet, the Xbox 360 4GB is $250, has no blu ray or batteries, and requires a fee for online, yet, nobody complains about that. Why?

Anyways, the PS3 12GB is an affordable package, and nowdays, hard drives for the PS3 are dirt cheap. My cousin bought the 12GB for $200 + Tax, and was able to score a seagate 500GB Hard Drive for only $50 + Tax. Still a good bundle.

That's good if you like Seagate. But for anyone who likes Western Digital Hard Drives... they'd be screwed. It costs over $200 for one. So basically you'd be paying around $400 overall, just to upgrade it. So it wouldn't be practical.

It would be better just to get the system with the large drive already installed in it.

I personally have always had better luck with Seagate drives. WD have always given me issues. One of my WD drives actually caught fire a few years ago in an old server of mine. Destroyed the server and all data. 

Message 11 of 15 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Dec 9, 2013

Well some people have extra hard drives laying around. So it's not a bad idea for those people to buy it but you would have to buy a super slim hard drive caddy with it which would add another $12 dollars...

Message 12 of 15 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Dec 9, 2013

zerx44 wrote:

12 GIG PS3 are not worth it, you can download a single game most of the time, and you can not download any games over 4.5 gigabytes. The games you can download better be single player because they have major issues running online games. i would demand a refund but i put my fist through mine. im going back to xbox 

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 13 of 15 (75 Views)
MVP Support
13581 posts

Dec 9, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:
In a way I can understand why you say that, but in a way, I cannot.

The PS3 SS is $200 for the 12GB, and is a blu ray player, has free online and has controllers with built in batteries, yet, the Xbox 360 4GB is $250, has no blu ray or batteries, and requires a fee for online, yet, nobody complains about that. Why?

Anyways, the PS3 12GB is an affordable package, and nowdays, hard drives for the PS3 are dirt cheap. My cousin bought the 12GB for $200 + Tax, and was able to score a seagate 500GB Hard Drive for only $50 + Tax. Still a good bundle.

That's good if you like Seagate. But for anyone who likes Western Digital Hard Drives... they'd be screwed. It costs over $200 for one. So basically you'd be paying around $400 overall, just to upgrade it. So it wouldn't be practical.

It would be better just to get the system with the large drive already installed in it.

I personally have always had better luck with Seagate drives. WD have always given me issues. One of my WD drives actually caught fire a few years ago in an old server of mine. Destroyed the server and all data. 

Ah. Will keep that in mind if I get a PS3 and upgrade it's drive.

I have a WD external drive that works pretty good so far. Backed up my laptop on it, and will be doing so again soon.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 14 of 15 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 9, 2013

seraphim_falconu wrote:

"But where's the benefit of buying the 12gb model to install a HDD when the HDD is eating up the savings in the first place. "

Still a good deal.

"It only really benefits those sticking to disc based games or those who have a compatible HDD sitting on their shelf waiting to be used."

What's stopping Gaikai streaming from coming to PS3 in the future? If it does, the hard drive will be irrelevant and you can play all of the PS3 games you want.

How is this still a good deal?  Its not even a deal.  At best it brings the 12gb PS3 to an equal price of its HDD brothers.  There is no deal.  In fact you'd likely end up paying more unless you snagged a good sale price online for an HDD.  If people want a deal, they'd wait for a Christmas sale and buy a PS3 bundle with a 320/500gb HDD and several games for $199.

We're not talking about streaming.  We are talking hardware.  We are talking about what's available now.  If streaming comes to PS3 down the road, great!  I'm assuming that Sony will want to focus on the PS4 first and get to the PS3 later if its feasible.  But in saying that, there is nothing stopping them from keeping new major features away from the PS3 and making them PS4 exclusive features to drive PS4 sales.

doc shady signature
Message 15 of 15 (54 Views)
0 Likes