Mar 20 2010
By: mmmig Gaming Beast 2126 posts

Ninja Gaiden Basics - What You Need To Know To Survive

20 replies 1041 views Edited Mar 20, 2010

Although the general populace considers Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 to be a "hack & slash" title, you cannot expect to play the game ala Dynasty Warriors and come out on top.  The Ninja Gaiden name is synonymous with brutal, fluid, fast paced combat and unforgiving enemies.  If you want to dominate your foes and clear missions online, it's in your best interest to apply the following:

1. Be ruthless, but also be efficient.  The most important attacks are those that are guaranteed (or come as close to being guaranteed) to either dismember enemies or kill them outright.  Although it's tempting to make use of every single move (or combo) listed per weapon, the enemies in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 won't just stand there and allow you to use them as a training mode dummy.  In most cases, they can (and will) interrupt your hit strings.
  2. Abuse moves that grant Ryu invincibility.  To clarify, use moves that will render you immune to damage for the duration that the move is in effect.  Examples are Ultimate Techniques, Obliteration Techniques, Izuna Drop, Guillotine Throw, and Ninpo casting.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's get into the specifics, shall we?

BLOCK

• As you'll see, the enemies in Ninja Gaiden Sigma are bloodthirsty and they will not hesitate to kill you.  There is absolutely no reason for you (the player) to not be holding L1 when engaged against the enemy.  The moment you let go of L1 you open yourself to attack.  Granted, you will survive in Path of the Acolyte and Path of the Warrior; on the tougher settings, however, you may as well restart the game.
  • Another important use for holding L1 while in the presence of enemies is so that you do not waste Essence.  This is something that annoys me to no end when helping out randoms online.  Because they aren't constantly holding L1, any Essence that's nearby is absorbed.  As such, Ultimate Techniques take longer to charge and execute.

REVERSE WIND

• The Reverse Wind technique is explained via a scroll obtained early in the game.  For all intents and purposes, Reverse Wind is just the Hayabusa way of saying "dash".  While holding L1, tilt the left stick in any direction and Ryu will dash in said direction.  Because Reverse Wind is done in conjunction with blocking, it is a great way of closing gaps between yourself and enemies. 

FURIOUS WIND

• When your defense is broken (usually with a strong enemy strike), dash away or towards an opponent.  Another way of describing this move is to use Reverse Wind right as an enemy breaks your guard.  Heavy attacks by opposing ninja can be telegraphed by a pause in their movement prior to striking.  One-on-one, you can use Reverse Wind pre-emptively to circle your opponent.  When being swarmed, however, you can't always dash prior and this is where Furious Wind becomes useful.  Against boss types who like to guard break often (Genshin, for example), Furious Wind is absolutely essential.  Remember --- when Ryu is pushed back after a heavy hit, just keep holding L1 and dash to the direction of choice.

WIND RUN

• This move is best described as an auto-tracker of sorts.  When Wind Run is performed, Ryu will home in on the closest opponent.  The tell-tale sign that the move was correctly executed is that Ryu will jump towards an opponent, but there will be a glimmer after. To perform Wind Run, simply press Square + X.
  • The applications of Wind Run are in moves that require Ryu to be in the air, i.e., Flying Swallow, One Hundred Flames, aerial Izuna Drop and..............

WIND PATH

• An extension of Wind Run, Wind Path makes Ryu stomp on an opponent's head, stunning them for a second or two.  Against smaller foes (all ninja types and Lesser Fiends), Wind Path allows for ample time to charge Ultimate Techniques, start Izuna Drops, or kill via Obliteration Techniques.  Against larger enemies, Wind Path will not daze.  That being said, it is still useful as it will give you an opportunity to use an on-land charge (something I'll get to later on) or simply reposition yourself. 
  • To perform Wind Path, simply jump towards an opponent and press X as you approach their head.  To make things easier, use Wind Run (Square + X) to home in on an enemy, then press X again right when you're on top of them.

GUILLOTINE THROW

• I've played through lots of missions online and I find it rather disappointing that so many do not even bother to use this move.  The Guillotine Throw is one of the most useful moves in Ryu's arsenal.  Although it isn't very damaging (unless there's a wall around), the Guillotine Throw grants Ryu invincibility.  As has been mentioned earlier, moves that render you invulnerable are absolutely necessary to dominating in this game.  When being swarmed and you have no Ninpo or have no opportunity to Obliterate or use an Ultimate Technique, using the Guillotine Throw can give you the breathing room you need. 
  • To perform the Guillotine Throw, use Wind Run (Square + X) to jump towards your enemy and then press Square + X again. 
  • Note that it's key to press Square + X (after Wind Run) a bit late into the jump.  If you press Square + X
    immediately after Wind Run, odds are Ryu will just do a jumping attack with whatever weapon you have equipped. 
  • Another important thing to keep in mind --- the Guillotine Throw will only work against human sized foes.  Larger fiends cannot be grabbed.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (1,041 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Re: Ninja Gaiden Basics - What You Need To Know To Survive

Nov 14, 2009
thank god that someone mad this thread i was about to ask for it thank u man,great job.
Message Edited by aymenalharbi on 11-14-2009 10:34 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2126 posts

Nov 14, 2009

aymenalharbi wrote:
thank god that someone mad this thread i was about to ask for it thank u man,great job.
Message Edited by aymenalharbi on 11-14-2009 10:34 AM

Glad to be of service .  I was asked by a couple of guys here to compile the things I've posted before.  It took a while for me to get started, but hey, better late than never, right?  

My TV is currently under repair so I'll have to wait for it to be returned before I can resume posting about other stuff.  

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2126 posts

Nov 27, 2009

I've added a Blade of the Archfiend section to Amputation 101 along with another move for the Tonfas.

I've also added a PRO TIP section for Ultimate Ninja 4 and 5 specifically relating to the Izuna Drop.

Message Edited by mmmig on 11-27-2009 02:33 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 19, 2010

Wow, great, great tips!  I had to scroll a few pages through this forum before seeing them.

It is going to take me a while to be at least proficient in some of the moves, but I wouldn't have known otherwise!

I've sent you a personal message - not sure if you have the time, but I think it would be great if you can compile all the great info in various threads you have as both a play guide and a trophy guide.  From my searching, there doesn't seem to be any decent NGS2 trophy guides.  The existing ones on ps3trophies.org are laughable and abandoned.  I will even 'donate' to your effort!

Cheers and keep it up!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
948 posts

Mar 20, 2010

This is a great guide, but hard to read in this new. white PlayStation forum.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2126 posts

Mar 20, 2010

vinster wrote:

Wow, great, great tips!  I had to scroll a few pages through this forum before seeing them.

It is going to take me a while to be at least proficient in some of the moves, but I wouldn't have known otherwise!

I've sent you a personal message - not sure if you have the time, but I think it would be great if you can compile all the great info in various threads you have as both a play guide and a trophy guide.  From my searching, there doesn't seem to be any decent NGS2 trophy guides.  The existing ones on ps3trophies.org are laughable and abandoned.  I will even 'donate' to your effort!

Cheers and keep it up!

Heh, funny that you mention that as this very thread is actually the result of a similar request (i.e., compile a bunch of stuff I've posted). 

As for a Trophy Guide, I'm not sure that it's required for this game.  Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is fairly straightforward.  You kill in classic Hayabusa style, progress through the game and unlock trophies as you go along.  Of course, it goes without saying that there are a few trophies in the game that will be all but out of reach for most, but it's not something a guide can help with --- you just have to be that damn good.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2126 posts

Mar 20, 2010

Rokkafellah10 wrote:

This is a great guide, but hard to read in this new. white PlayStation forum.

I'll be editing the posts so that you won't have to highlight the text.  It won't happen all at once, unfortunately, as I'm pretty busy :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 20, 2010

mmmig wrote:

Heh, funny that you mention that as this very thread is actually the result of a similar request (i.e., compile a bunch of stuff I've posted). 

As for a Trophy Guide, I'm not sure that it's required for this game.  Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is fairly straightforward.  You kill in classic Hayabusa style, progress through the game and unlock trophies as you go along.  Of course, it goes without saying that there are a few trophies in the game that will be all but out of reach for most, but it's not something a guide can help with --- you just have to be that damn good.

While the trophies in NGS2 are quite self-explanatory, there is always room for a trophy guide, roadmap, expected difficulty, etc that will help out any new player.

For example, the roadmap could be something like:

- You need to complete 7+ play-throughs

- Start with Path of Warrior

- Next do Path of Mentor

- Next do Path of Ninja Master

- Go to Chapter Challenge, complete...  and so on

And under the Path of Ninja Master trophy, you could add in all the great info you had on the other thread, esp. on beating the bosses and links to videos with MNM boss fights, and what weapons should be used for which boss fights, etc.

Then for the other easier trophies, you can explain the best chapters or areas to get them on and perhaps, the easiest way to do so.

Anyway, just some food for thought.  Since no respectable trophy guide for NGS2 exists yet, you could stamp your name on one!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2126 posts

Mar 27, 2010

DASH JUMPS

• This is another move that I find a lot of people hardly use.  The benefit of dash jumping is simple --- you get to your destination much faster than just running (very useful when rushing to a teammate to revive them in Team Mission Mode).
  • To perform dash jumps, do the following sequence:  L1 -> tilt left stick in any direction -> press X
  • If there are no enemies around, you won't need to hold L1.  You can release the button as you tilt the left stick then press X to jump.  As you land from the jump, press L1, tilt the stick and jump again.  Just rinse and repeat!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (1,041 Views)