Splicer
53 posts

Yes kool(cool) that idea is amazing although i think the...

May 5, 2010

Yes kool(cool) that idea is amazing although i think the artists that you guys have can produce the best graphics created so far, which is completely true.:robotwink: keep the amazing work up......

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

All the avatars are really nice, and goes along with the...

May 9, 2010

All the avatars are really nice, and goes along with the forums too.

Also I just wanted to say good Job on the forums, there a lot better then many of the forums out there.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

I'm guessing because of the fact this is a Lithium forum,...

May 15, 2010
I'm guessing because of the fact this is a Lithium forum, custom avatars are a no-no? Or at the least implementing them would be difficult.
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7824 posts

Re: PSN Avatars coming soon

May 16, 2010

Personally I'd rather keep the ones that we have now. I've never liked any of the avatars on the PSN and I'm not willing to shell out any money, not even a few cents, for a premium avatar that's only somewhat better then the others. That's why I still use the default smilie, I can't stand any of the others.

The avatars that we currently have here, on the other hand, are unique and interesting. My only problem with them is that I'd like to see a bit more of a selection, but other then that they're cool.

Skidd wrote:
I'm guessing because of the fact this is a Lithium forum, custom avatars are a no-no? Or at the least implementing them would be difficult.

That has nothing to do with Lithium. Lithium can and used to allow custom avatars. Custom avatars only disappeared when the PSU merged with the PSN, at which time Sony said that they wanted the forums to display everyone's PSN avatars. As such custom avatars on the PSN forums are entirely left up to Sony (ND in the case of these forums).

As it currently stands in order to implement custom avatars on the PSN (or any forum using PSN avatars) would require an extreme amount of work. Sony would first have to create a firmware update to make the PS3s capable of uploading images to the PSN, then Sony would have to sift through every image and either approve or deny the image and make it available on the PSN, where it would become a new PSN avatar for everyone to choose from.

As noted by arne, ND is, or at least was a month ago, waiting to hear back as to whether or not their avatars had been accepted by Sony. If ND has to sit and wait for approval from Sony then there's absolutely no hope for the regular members to get approval of random images that they want to use as their custom avatars.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Ah Sony, always complicating things... If I'm understand...

May 16, 2010

Ah Sony, always complicating things...

If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that custom avatars like on independent forums are not very likely to happen because we're connected to PSN?

If that's the case, then would it be possible for Sony to work around the avatar sharing somehow, only restricting custom avatars for their forums. Obviously, this would also take a lot of work but hey, asking questions is fun for a change :smileyembarrassed:

I don't mind the current avatar system, I only think it's normal to presume you could use 'more personal' icons to identify certain individuals, for instance. I've just always been a huge fan of the simplicity of SMF that going to Lithium felt like an downgrade.

I guess that's what the majority of the Resistance community though because the place has been quite dead after migration.

That would be all for today.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7824 posts

It's not so much the connection with PSN as it is the con...

May 17, 2010

It's not so much the connection with PSN as it is the connection with PSN avatars. There is a good possibility that we could get custom avatar here if we don't start using our PSN avatars. Once we start using PSN avatars the chances of ever getting custom avatars pretty much becomes zero.

There could be a way for Sony to work around the current system in order to make custom avatars a viable option, though with the current system they're able to sell premium avatars and make some extra profit. If they were to creat a new system for custom avatars they'd loose a lot of the people willing to pay for premium avatars. So I don't expect to ever see them working on any kind of custom avatar system.

I really do miss the old avatar system on the PSN forums. Even when you weren't at a high enough rank to use custom avatars the Lithium default selection was a lot better then the PSN avatars. Then at 128-bit you gained the privilege to use custom avatars.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1655 posts

I'm sure we can choose not to use the PSN avatars if we d...

May 17, 2010
I'm sure we can choose not to use the PSN avatars if we didn't want to -- although being a SCE company we do want to try to keep things consistent with what our parent is doing. That's just an overall thing.

As far as user selectable custom avatars, I don't believe that's entirely out of the question with the Lithium software or the overall policies, but it does create another level of policing and moderation that would be untenable in the long run.
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7102 posts

Are the Uncharted 2 Avatars going to be on PSN soon? Will...

May 22, 2010

Are the Uncharted 2 Avatars going to be on PSN soon? Will they be premium?

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Nice Avatars.

May 24, 2010

Nice Avatars.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Is it true that you guys are making a multiplatform game?

May 26, 2010
Is it true that you guys are making a multiplatform game?
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 64 (151 Views)
0 Likes