Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
7839 posts

1. Yes, in the past post count/forum activity carried ove...

Nov 26, 2011

Oliivi wrote:

Sooo... are we going to lose our own General discussion/Off-topic section? That would be a real shame. :smileyindifferent:

Most likely, yes. There's an active Off-topic board already in existence over at the PS forums. Whether or not the posts in this Off-topic will be moved to that Off-topic I haven't a clue, though I'd venture to guess that they'll just be archived since that would be the easiest action.

ryaniscool47 wrote:

To everyone voting for me as an MVP, thank you, I truly appreciate you all thinking I would be worthy of such a responsibility.

I agree with those who say that LadyP should be one, and I do think that once she starts work again (and is therefore posting here daily again :smileytongue:) she is DEFINITELY MVP material.  LadyP and Shrantellatessa are definitely 2 people who I have seen performing MVP style duties in the past.  Welcoming new members, giving them helpful tips, etc.  

I have a few questions, perhaps that fellow from the Playstation forums might be able to field them:

1.  I just logged in over at Playstation, and saw my avatar, as well as my post count at "0".  This is not in itself surprising, however I am wondering if with any past merges, has post count carried over?  It may be strange for the mods to see a person with zero posts getting MVP votes.

2.  Can anyone direct me to the "MVP" voting section?  I am curious as to how it works.  What are the responsibilities of an MVP?  ARE there requirements as far as login frequency, post count, etc?

Edit: finally figured out how to post, this "archived" business is quite strange...it should be made a bit more easily apparent if a discussion is locked...

Oh boy, I really hope this new forum starts making sense to me...

1. Yes, in the past post count/forum activity carried over. In fact, in the past it's done so for everyone, so if history holds true even I should see a small, but sudden spike in my post count once the merger is complete.

There have been a few bugs with this in the past where post count shows up a little off for a few people. So I'd recommend keeping an eye on your stats and if you see any odd goings to report them to a Mod.

2. You can find a lot of information on the MVP program in the PlayStastion.com MVP FAQ.

There actually is no MVP voting section as MVP nominations are normally not a public matter. Nominations should be sent via PM to PS_Gopher. I've been an MVP since 2008 and to this day I honestly haven't a clue if I even received any nominations, let alone who nominated me if I was nominated. Since MVP is ultimately the Mod team's decision one actually doesn't need to be nominated by his/her fellow members in order to make MVP, and the reverse is also true, just because one receives a lot of nominations they they are not guaranteed to become an MVP.

Also post count doesn't matter. MVPs have never been bound by post count as a requirement. In fact we've had a couple of members become MVPs with only a couple hundred posts. The quality of an MVP is based around the quality of his/her posts and the demeanor in which he/she presents themselves on the forums.

Roles and Responsibilities

As an MVP, your general aim should be to promote good behavior and a positive atmosphere in the community, whether it’s in a game, on the forums or any other place where our community gathers. This may involve helping out with events and competitions (and perhaps running your own), welcoming new members and answering questions from the community, being a referee in a game, participating in Beta testing, or even helping out with PlayStation online publications.

As for time requirements they're not as stringent as everyone thinks. Yes you can be removed from the MVP program for inactivity, but this wont happen just because you took a break for a couple of days. If you're going to be gone for several weeks at a time, or long, you simply need to inform the Mod team that you will be gone and why. Really, other then that you're not expected to be any more active then a regular member.

Message 70 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Thanks for the answers, man!  Good to know that all the p...

Nov 26, 2011

DVM-501 wrote:

A bunch of really helpful stuff.

Thanks for the answers, man!  Good to know that all the posting I did here was not in vain!  Looking forward to experience how this transition goes!  I made a few posts over at the playstation forums earlier today, and it's not AS radically different as I feared.  I will miss the dark backgrounds, but oh well, I'll deal.  :smileyhappy:

Message 71 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5842 posts

My thoughts

Nov 27, 2011

TheMaddHater wrote:

My votes for MVPs:

ryaniscool47

Eugenides

tapantaola

Psyken

Pdiss88

Shrantellatessa

I have no idea if they're all up for the responsibility, but I'd think they would fit the role nicely. I'd try my hand at it myself if they weren't up for it, I suppose :smileytongue:

Hoping for the best with this forum migration, hoping we'll all fun and have more great discussions! (trying to be positive :/)

Tapantaola wouldn't be a bad choice. The rest of the list is too polarizing, myself included.

Message 72 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
9117 posts

I just now saw this, haha. Super late to the party. That'...

Nov 27, 2011

I just now saw this, haha. Super late to the party. That's what I get for not visiting anything but the Multiplayer board...

Anyway, this is super disappointing. Like many have said, I enjoy the smallish, close-knit community we have here. I was fond of the Playstation Uncharted forums back when I used to post there, but once we were all sheparded over to this location, I ultimately had a lot more fun. It felt much more personal, I guess.

I suspect that this is their solution to the lack of time they have to moderate, nowadays. Which kind of compounds my feelings of disappointment; I am a little perplexed that now that UC3 is out, we still see the same amount of negligence in regards to this community. Would've thought they might have more time for us now, but oh well.

I shall certainly miss my absurd post count. I will be hitting 7,000 in like 10 more replies. ... Wow, Eugenides, go make some friends.

Anyway, as for the MVP discussion, if I could pick anyone it'd be tapantaola, honestly. He's definitely the most unbiased of any poster I've seen here, and I have a lot of respect for him because of that. Not to mention, he's super tech-savvy, which is helpful for all those confused newbies posting about technical issues.

So, yeah. Am sad about this, but I'm sure it'll be alright. I'll be returning to my old stomping grounds, I guess.

Message 73 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16337 posts

We appreciate the help, but the issue isn't using the dam...

Nov 27, 2011

DVM-501 wrote:

ballantine3 wrote:

I am very disappointed at this move. The PS forums were once great, but since their ridiculous "redesign" a year or so ago they have become incredibly confusing to both use and navigate.  For the life of me I can't even figure out how to reply to a thread on there, despite being logged in (maybe it's just me, idk). 

*sigh* I'm going to miss you, beloved ND forums. We've had some great times *tear* :smileysad:

Ya, trying to learn how to use the Jive software after years of Lithium isn't the easiest thing in the world. But then that's why I'm here, to try and make the transition for everyone a little easier. :smileywink:

To reply to a thread you'll find a small green icon with the word "Reply" next to it in the bottom right-hand corner of each post.

We appreciate the help, but the issue isn't using the damned software.  It's having use a far more annoying software.

I can drive a car, but would I prefer a custom-design manual 8-cylinder, or a YUGO?

We'll see if my forum junkie keeps pulling me.  I tried to read around over there, see what it's like... what a juvenile, godawful mess of nonsense.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 74 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16337 posts

There's already an Uncharted Series forum.  How can you n...

Nov 27, 2011

DVM-501 wrote:

Shrantellatessa wrote:
Well, maybe we can change that :smileywink:

I have a question though, will ND/Uncharted have their own dedicated section on the PlayStation forums? Because that thing is so huge it's hard to not get lost in there. Plus if we get lost, we'd spread and the community would no longer be the same since we'd be far from each other. I made one post there today and it did take me some time to find the right section.

Also, will ND/Uncharted section be broken down into sub-sections just like these forums (Naughty Dog, UDF, U2, U3, General Discussion...etc)?

EDIT. Oops, someone has already asked the same question!

I'm positive that there will be a dedicated space for the ND games, it just wouldn't make any sense to take down a full forum and throw two full series into the Action/Adventure board, especially when there are already boards for the Uncharted and J&D series that just need to be unarchived.

The sub-boards on the other hand I'm not so certain about, but I am confident that they will exist. The reason that I'm confident that there will be sub-boards is because of history. In the past other split forums were given a full set of sub-boards when they were merged with the PS forums, most of which even given their own layout. For example God of War, MAG, and SOCOM. Resistence was also given sub-boards but it's built in the same layout as the rest of the PS forums with a list of the sub-boards found on the right.

Personally I'm hoping that the UC series will receive it's own layout since I find that it tends to look and feel be better then the PS standard with the sub-boards listed on the right. I also expect J&D to have it's own board, but only one since that's all that's been needed for years, both here and before the split on the PS forums. I also expect that it'll be split from the UC boards as a general board rather then a ND sub-board.

There's already an Uncharted Series forum.  How can you not know this?

http://community.us.playstation.com/community/games/action-adventure/uncharted-series?view=discussio...
The good thing is no one seems to use it.  In the last 5 months there are... 5 posts, according to that page.

So, we may have the placve to ourselves.

The Biggest Lies

Message 75 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16337 posts

I sent them my nominations.   If the people I nommed don'...

Nov 27, 2011

I sent them my nominations.

If the people I nommed don't get made MVP, then they're morons or haven't even taken a moment to look over here to see what I mean.

It says something about a forum community that when I need help with a game, I DO NOT GO to the PSN community, in fact, it never even crosses my mind.  The first response to a question about a game was invariably, "lulz, u cant get by the  statues..... nuuub."

As much as we may have disliked what we got out of arne and zod, we're so, so gonna miss 'em.

The Biggest Lies

Message 76 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

That's because that section has been locked for a long ti...

Nov 27, 2011

scootgar wrote:

DVM-501 wrote:

Shrantellatessa wrote:
Well, maybe we can change that :smileywink:

I have a question though, will ND/Uncharted have their own dedicated section on the PlayStation forums? Because that thing is so huge it's hard to not get lost in there. Plus if we get lost, we'd spread and the community would no longer be the same since we'd be far from each other. I made one post there today and it did take me some time to find the right section.

Also, will ND/Uncharted section be broken down into sub-sections just like these forums (Naughty Dog, UDF, U2, U3, General Discussion...etc)?

EDIT. Oops, someone has already asked the same question!

I'm positive that there will be a dedicated space for the ND games, it just wouldn't make any sense to take down a full forum and throw two full series into the Action/Adventure board, especially when there are already boards for the Uncharted and J&D series that just need to be unarchived.

The sub-boards on the other hand I'm not so certain about, but I am confident that they will exist. The reason that I'm confident that there will be sub-boards is because of history. In the past other split forums were given a full set of sub-boards when they were merged with the PS forums, most of which even given their own layout. For example God of War, MAG, and SOCOM. Resistence was also given sub-boards but it's built in the same layout as the rest of the PS forums with a list of the sub-boards found on the right.

Personally I'm hoping that the UC series will receive it's own layout since I find that it tends to look and feel be better then the PS standard with the sub-boards listed on the right. I also expect J&D to have it's own board, but only one since that's all that's been needed for years, both here and before the split on the PS forums. I also expect that it'll be split from the UC boards as a general board rather then a ND sub-board.

http://community.us.playstation.com/community/games/action-adventure/uncharted-series?view=discussio...
The good thing is no one seems to use it.  In the last 5 months there are... 5 posts, according to that page.

That's because that section has been locked for a long time.  Any posts about Uncharted games are now in the action/adventure section.  Discussion of Uncharted IS still sparse there, though.

Message 77 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1205 posts

That link he posted is in the action adventure section, i...

Nov 27, 2011

That link he posted is in the action adventure section, it's the same one I posted on another page asking if that's where were gonne get dumped when this reverse migration happens which I still think i the dumbest move ND has / will make to date.

Design your own sig @ myu2sig.com - Gen Status: - Total unique user count:
Message 78 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7839 posts

I'm well aware of the existence of that board. It was arc...

Nov 27, 2011

ryaniscool47 wrote:

Thanks for the answers, man!  Good to know that all the posting I did here was not in vain!  Looking forward to experience how this transition goes!  I made a few posts over at the playstation forums earlier today, and it's not AS radically different as I feared.  I will miss the dark backgrounds, but oh well, I'll deal.  :smileyhappy:

No problem. There actually is a fix to the background issue. Not an official one mind you, but a fix none the less.

There are quite a number of individuals over at the PS forums that can't stand the white, and as a result a couple of them created new layouts for everyone to use. All that you have to do is install the Stylish add-on for either Firefox, Safari or Chrome, then install one of the new layouts or write your own layout. This will allow you to completely overwrite the PS forum's CSS to generate what ever kind of layout you want.

PlayStation.com Community Black Skin - by BEMO

newPS - by nhs98dc

I actually really don't care for the white either, though I've found those two styles to be somewhat lacking, so I have newPS installed to my Firefox browser and made quite a few revisions. If anyone using Firefox is interested I can share the code for my revisions. Just send my a PM.

scootgar wrote:

We appreciate the help, but the issue isn't using the damned software.  It's having use a far more annoying software.

I can drive a car, but would I prefer a custom-design manual 8-cylinder, or a YUGO?

We'll see if my forum junkie keeps pulling me.  I tried to read around over there, see what it's like... what a juvenile, godawful mess of nonsense.

Honestly, I much prefer the Lithium software myself. But unfortunately there's nothing that I can do about that. Trust me, I tried... For months... I became a serious thorn in the side of Sony over the PS forum software transition.

scootgar wrote:

I'm well aware of the existence of that board. It was archived right after the transition from Lithium to Jive.

What I'm expecting to happen is that board remain archived and a whole new set be created from these boards moving over to the PS forums. If not then that board will simply be merged with one of these boards in the move.

Message 79 of 150 (58 Views)
0 Likes