Oct 11 2011
By: TheMaddHater Survivor 2838 posts

British Slang - is it true?

21 replies 46 views Edited Oct 11, 2011

So I stumbled upon this British slang site. 

Having been a fan of a few british comedies and reader of more than a few related books, I thought I would know these terms!

Turns out, I was sorely mistaken. Here are some of the slang terms that I thought were itneresting, or that I was not aware of..

Excuse me - This is a great one! It's what kids are taught to say when they belch in public. We are also taught to say "pardon me" if we fart out loud. Unfortunately in American "excuse me" means you are encroaching in someone's personal space and you say "pardon me" when you don't hear someone properly. Imagine our surprise when we discovered that actually Americans are not belching and farting all the time.

I know Brits at my college, but I'd never heard this one before! Is this really taught?

Faff - To faff is to dither or to fanny around. If we procrastinated when getting ready for bed, as kids, our Dad use tell us we were faffing around.

**bleep**ged - If you are too lazy or tired to do something you could say "I can't be **bleep**ged". It means you can't be Bothered.

I just have to note... I've never heard these!

To our Brits and Englishmen out there - do people use these words?

other such ones:

Flog - To Flog something is to sell it. It also means to beat something with a whip, but when your wife tells you she flogged the old TV it is more likely she has sold it than beaten it (hopefully!).

Fruity - If someone is feeling fruity then they are feeling frisky. Watch out!

Dont recommend saying this one in America..

Getting off - This seems to be the objective of most teenagers on a big night out. Getting off with someone means making out or snogging them.

Knock up - This means to wake someone up. Although it seems to have an altogether different meaning in the USA! At one time, in England, a chap was employed to go round the streets to wake the workers up in time to get to work. He knew where everyone lived and tapped on the bedroom windows with a long stick, and was known as a "knocker up"

Naff - If something is naff, it is basically uncool.

Nesh - My Dad used to call me a nesh wimp when I was a kid and I wanted him to take me places in his car because it was too cold to go on my bike. He meant I was being pathetic

Nut - To nut someone is to head butt them. Nutting is particularly useful when at a football match.

So..Do people use all these?

Or am I being taken for a mug?

-----------------
FaceBook: Psyber Kayos
The best FB groups for our communities. Thousands have joined already. Join us!:

The Uncharted Community FaceBook Group

The Last of Us Community FaceBook Group

Message 1 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Would you like to smoke a **bleep** dear sir?

Oct 11, 2011

Would you like to smoke a **bleep** dear sir?

^EDIT: IT'S PERFECT ENGLISH LANGUAGE! Hmph!!!

(Look up what the common Englishman calls his cigarettes.)

Message 2 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7372 posts

I use 'excuse me', 'faff', 'naff' and 'getting off' (If t...

Oct 11, 2011

I use 'excuse me', 'faff', 'naff' and 'getting off' (If the situation calls for it) :smileytongue:

I have heard other says flog and fruity, but as for the others I've never heard of.

Also your last one, 'mug', is a common insult my sister uses. 

Message 3 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Edited

Oct 11, 2011

No one ever got rich gambling on a sense of humour.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 4 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

I live more towards the north and a lot of slang is obvio...

Oct 11, 2011

I live more towards the north and a lot of slang is obviously quite regional... so all this is from my northern point of view!

Excuse me and pardon me are used as apologies for those kinds of windy misbehaviours over here, but we do use them for the same things as Americans do too.

Faffing about is in common use - people say it a lot... Not sure what was bleeped out of the next one, so can't answer that, but most of the others are right.

Nesh I think is more northern, and he's slightly misunderstood his father. It doesn't mean pathetic, it means cold, as in a cold day or susceptible to feeling the cold.(It was the wimp bit that meant pathetic LOL!)

Maftin' means hot (weatherwise) - again possibly northern.

Message 5 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

And if a British person says "Oi! I think I just saw...

Oct 11, 2011

And if a British person says "Oi! I think I just saw someone's goolies."

They are not talking about a ghost/ghoul lol!

Message 6 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20192 posts

Lol, especially Knock Up, Nut, and Getting Off. :D   They...

Oct 11, 2011

TheMaddHater wrote:

**bleep**ged - If you are too lazy or tired to do something you could say "I can't be **bleep**ged". It means you can't be Bothered.

Fruity 

Getting off

Knock up 

Nut

Lol, especially Knock Up, Nut, and Getting Off. :smileyvery-happy:

They mean completely different things in America. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 7 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2048 posts

keep it appropriate please

Oct 11, 2011

and this doesn't just mean appropriate within cultures as one thing that might not be offensive could very well be to someone else.

Message 8 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

ZOD sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 11, 2011

zod5000 wrote:

and this doesn't just mean appropriate within cultures as one thing that might not be offensive could very well be to someone else.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 9 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

!Troll Sighting! :smileytongue:

Oct 11, 2011

scootgar wrote:

zod5000 wrote:

¡TЯOLL Sighting! 

(False: Zod may come or leave the forums as he chooses, you do not need to point that out to everybody. Stay on topic.)

Message 10 of 22 (46 Views)
0 Likes