Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 04 2014
By: SweetPoison13 PlayStation MVP 11196 posts

UPDATED ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: February Edition **

[ Edited ]
47 replies 1402 views Edited Mar 3, 2014

Welcome to the February Edition of this monthly Q&A thread.

If you have some questions that you would like to ask Naughty Dog then here is your opportunity to ask them!

Up until about the 14th of February you will be able to post your questions about The Last of Us or Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception here in this thread. Usually 10 questions from this thread will be selected and answered by the Naughty Dog Development Team.

Once the replies are ready they will be posted in this thread for your perusal. What would you like to ask Naughty Dog this month?

If your reply contains more than one question or if you post multiple replies in a row then Naughty Dog may ignore your questions.

"What is the average number of people playing factions per day?" - Nick-A-30

We see anywhere between 5,000-10,000 concurrent players daily depending on day of the week, what content was released that period, and other factors. Total users per day are likely around 3x that. 

"Will there ever be any likelihood of seeing a Last of Us prequel per se, as in continuing on from the events of when the outbreak first happens? Perhaps portraying Joel's backstory this time?" - Bruce_Wayne_1989

Did you read The Last of Us: American Dreams? That’s a prequel story. So is The Last of Us: Left Behind story chapter we just released. As for other stories, we’re not sure yet what’s going to happen.

Please tell me why TLOU will not have Co-op, you confirmed it but you haven't explained it. – Redouanfaka

For single player or multiplayer? In both cases we’re telling a very specific narrative. Co-op never worked for the single player game. Just broke the player feedback loop too greatly. For Factions it’s the story of your clan. We don’t think co-op gameplay fits that narrative. Additionally, we tried some co-op modes and they weren’t as fun. We feel we hit the right tone for the MP with Factions.

"what are we going to see in the 3rd DLC for The Last of us, will it be more maps and another game mode maybe? And is there a possibility of a zombies game mode? – xCruelAsSaSsiNx

We just mentioned it in our latest blog post. We’ll have more details as the in-game elements become ready to show!

"IF the DLC maps in The Last of Us multiplayer become free in the future, can you PLEASE patch them into the game? And if you're not too busy with TLOU, Uncharted on PS4 and any other possible projects you're working on... PLEASE patch the Uncharted 3 DLC maps into the game?" – SjShane

Your question is a bit confusing but we have the maps as separate content on the hard drive because that’s the way our MP tech works. You’ll need to download the maps to play them.

"Will you give us more custom loadouts? 4 is not enough. Even the ability to override the default classes. 7 would suffice. This cannot be hard to do, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate it." – INCANGENERAL

We’ll pass this message along to the MP team.  Often it’s a matter of what works within the UI we set up for the game but we’ll see what’s possible.

"What are your plans on addressing the issues / programming bugs which are easier to locate and correct like: Wrong ammo from boxes after loadout changes, flamethrower ammo which cannot be picked up, flamethrower ammo used when executing, triangle priority? - A fellow Software Engineer" -  foofighter2634

We’re continually working on patches. Please report any issues to our multiplayer technical forums. You’ll see fixes in the next patch for some of these.

"Concerning the smoke bomb in multiplayer of Last of Us. I'm sure many are aware that climbing over a piece of cover or any object really while the smoke is going off completely negates the effect of the smoke bomb stun. I'm wondering what your take is on this occurrence? Like is it intended, a bug, or what and if you plan on leaving it alone or looking into some sort of fix, if needed, behind the mechanics of this." - sanddude20

We’re aware of this issue and looking to address it in the next patch. We’ll see how it works out but it might involve applying the stun after the vault or climb.

"With the outstanding success with The Last of Us, do you feel as obligated to create a sequel? Thank you and best wishes for the future. Your loyal fan, Keetchifurus." – Keetchifurus

We certainly are grateful for all the support and success, yes! We haven’t decided what’s next besides UNCHARTED for PS4. Once we do you all will definitely be the first people to know!

"How do you guys manage staffing when it comes to working on your main projects and your DLC, especially between two teams?" - Rogue_Eagle

The philosophy here has always been all hands on deck. We do set up roles between main game projects and DLC but everyone is just a short roll of your desk chair or short walk away. All our tech libraries are shared and we work as collaboratively as humanly possible.

"Uncharted 3 Question. Story wise how hard was it for the writers to pull all the previous plot together for this game and what challenges arose from this, thanks." - Fletcherrenn08

That’s a big question. The idea of telling the story of Young Drake and Young Sully along with Marlowe really helped to cement the narrative and make the character motivations deeper. There are always a slew of challenges that arise but we feel we did a good job of pulling it all together.

"As Uncharted 3 enters its sunset months and in anticipation of the next Uncharted game, can we expect any more XP/Cash/Treasure events for Uncharted 3? And a follow on question... Is there any chance that treasures could be activated either for custom games or turned on for all modes on the competitive side? As hard as it is to complete a lot of the coop sets, at least you can still get them in custom games... For some competitive modes it's getting increasingly difficult to even find matches. >EDIT:  To clarify my second question... I'm suggesting that either treasures be turned on for custom games for all competitive modes (not a great solution because it invites boosting) OR that it's made possible to get any comp treasure in any comp mode." - CaptainProduce67

After two and a half years of support, we’ve slowed resources devoted to U3 events such as The Lab and XP/Treasure events but have a few more things planned for this year. There’s no way to activate treasure for custom games. We have the treasure sets rarity as it is set because, well, it is Treasure and we want that challenge to remain.  Be on the lookout for a couple U3 events this year that might be helpful. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 48 (1,402 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1599 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: February Edition **

Feb 4, 2014
Last Q & A, you guys said no to colors, but can we at least get the beanee changed to yellow or green for the fireflies?

It's blue aka Hunter colors, and that's no good. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 48 (1,393 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1172 posts

Feb 4, 2014

What is the average number of people playing factions per day?

Click HERE For My YouTube Channel!

I post HILARIOUS & BEASTLY The Last Of Us Videos! Check it out! Subscribe as well, I'm constantly posting The Last Of Us videos!

If You Aint First, You're Last
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 48 (1,380 Views)
Naughty Host
8020 posts

Feb 5, 2014
Will the PSNOW Version of The Last of Us include the Factions Multiplayer mode as well? Meaning I can play multiplayer on my Vita or Playstation 4?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 48 (1,367 Views)
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Feb 5, 2014

The Last of Us: GoTY edition for PS4? More head items? More DLC weapons?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 48 (1,364 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1927 posts

Feb 5, 2014

Will you guys be making a SP DLC for Joel between the 20 year time period? Seems like there would be a lot left out during that time period.

|| Twitter: @L_A_White_Boy ||Twitch: L_A_White_Boy ||
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 48 (1,357 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1592 posts

Feb 5, 2014
Will you give us more custom loadouts 4 is not enough. Even the ability to override the default classes . 7 would suffice. This cannot be hard to do , and I'm sure everyone would appreciate it .
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 48 (1,352 Views)
Big Daddy
16128 posts

Feb 5, 2014

Can we please have lots more hats?

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) We're working on it.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 48 (1,346 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1106 posts

Feb 5, 2014

Hello ND I first would like to congratulate you on a great game. It literally is the best PS3 game I have ever played. That being said my question is concerning the multiplayer. 

There has been a lot of forum discussion over the balancing of the multiplayer weapons, do you have any plans to change the current balance via buffs or nerfs to certain weapons and or increase the max number of loadout points or do you think the weapons (including the over priced machete) are perfect the way they are?

Thanks again for your time. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 48 (1,331 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5558 posts

Feb 5, 2014

What's your favourite colour?

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 48 (1,320 Views)