Highlighted
Jul 31 2014
By: SweetPoison13 MVP Support 12491 posts

UPDATED ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: August Edition **

[ Edited ]
43 replies 1999 views Edited Aug 26, 2014

Welcome to the August Edition of this monthly Q&A thread.

If you have some questions that you would like to ask Naughty Dog this month then here is your opportunity to ask them! Up until about the 10th of August you will be able to post your questions about some of Naughty Dog's video games here in this thread. Usually 10 questions from this thread will be selected and answered by the Naughty Dog Development Team.

Once the replies are ready they will be posted in this thread for your perusal. What would you like to ask Naughty Dog this month? If your reply contains more than one question or if you post multiple replies in a row then Naughty Dog might ignore your questions.

“In TLOU's Faction MP, there are several areas in a lot of the maps that see little to no action, until one of the teams starts to camp. I was wondering would the Dogs consider moving around some of the supply boxes to some of the "Uncharted" parts of the map? For example the Supply Box at Bookstore, near the old coffee shop, could be replaced with the box in Survivors, located up stairs (if only just in Supply Raid, seeing as that may work awkwardly for Interrogation).” – Quinzen8

We’re always looking at ways to optimize the gameplay in our multiplayer and spawn points and re-locating objects is one thing we do. We have placed some of the object to create funnels for combat and action. We re-evaluate the maps during daily play tests and based on user feedback. We’ll see what make sense for the gameplay.

“Why doesn't The Last of Us Remastered use dedicated servers? What was behind the decision to use P2P matchmaking again?” – Akyemeni

The technology used for our multiplayer was created on the same foundation as the PS3 version. An overhaul of those servers and matchmaking system would have taken more time and resources than we had available.

“In testing the original versions of the multiplayer before release, were there any huges changes that didn't work out currently not present in the current version of the game? For instance hold ups like in single player or maybe supply boxes not existing? Maps that you tried but didn't work? Any concepts that changed drastically or were totally different? Etc.” – Fakehound

Yeah, getting infected into the multiplayer killed what resources we had available. We’ve touched on it a bunch of times but the animations and movement of the infected alone was a huge drain on what footprint we could have for MP.

“With the addition of the variable rifle and scoped versions of weapons, any chance of adding one or two more loadout slots? As it stands we'd have one loadout per primary weapon (and if we tried to have purchased weapons we'd be robbing ourselves of a lot of good perks). I know you like forcing us to make "the tough decisions." But that seems more in line with what perks to take, as opposed to weapons, where instead of making us make "touch decisions" you're instead making us "tediously swap weapons whenever we want to try something new." I like being a jack of all trades, most of my friends do, too. Variety is the spice of life, and while you have your premade loadouts, most players I know tend ot avoid 75% of them because they just don't like the talent composition. Just one or two more is all I ask and then I shall board the "we don't need any more stinkin loadouts" bandwagon.” – Fortesmythe

That’s a pretty solid idea and we’ll discuss it with the MP team.

“Can we get a backpack customization for TLoU? Changing color and earn stickers to place them anywhere on the backpack. For example you can unlock a sticker at 10.000 earned Supplies or buy some. Would be a cool feature.” – SonGaton

We have an aesthetic and look for the world of Factions. It’s not fanciful and as funny as our other multiplayer games. Adding color options would take away some of the key element of Factions such as unified look for the clan. We want you to feel like the Hunters and Fireflies have their own specific look and feel that’s not over the top or too out there.

“What is the average number of people playing The Last Of Us Remastered Multiplayer?” – Nick-A-30

It depends on time of day and day of the week but we have close to 100,000 unique players a day on TLOU Remastered and 65,000 on PS3. Weekly, we see about 300,000 for PS4 and nearly 200,000 for PS3. There are a ton of factors that go into it these numbers as you likely know.

“Oh right.... where is a stamina Bar? I'm sick and tired of not being able to know how far I can sprint. Dx use the other side of the semi circle just like I'm single player. It's so easy!” – Vorlonator

We wanted to keep the HUD as uncluttered and simple as possible. If you look at the early E3 demo there’s something like a stamina bar in there but it’s very distracting for the look and feel of the game world.

“Why does TLOU Remastered MP seem to suffer from issues (weak vibration, broken in-game chat) that didn't exist in the PS3 version?” – l-Silhouettes-l

With any code, especially one re-written to work on brand new hardware, you’ll going to get its own unique set of bugs and issues. We’re working through as many bugs and fixes as we can for our patches and hope you’ll find you major annoyances will be taken care of as we roll out these patches. For instance, vibration for when you are hit in MP will be fixed in patch 1.03 for TLOU Remastered.

“My question is will you consider doing "events" for the MP? Things like double supply weekends and more.” – CiTOxE4321

We’re looking into doing more of these but we really like the idea of scarcity of resources that Factions espouses. Double Supply weekends are tough as we did a couple and players leveled up very fast which created some balancing issues. We’ll circle back and see what can be done.

“Will Uncharted 4 have a multiplayer mode? If so, will it include a splitscreen option?” – BKSONIC

We don’t have anything to say about Uncharted 4 right now. Every aspect of the game is still be sorted out and vetted.

“Would you naughty doggies ever consider making special executions for the bow? A kick up and then a slice to the throat with an arrow, an arrow to the back of the head when on their stomach or a nice big wack to the side of the head with the end of the bow or even a double hit with both ends of the bow would be pretty wicked.” – ThePhenomxx

Hmmm….new executions. Interesting idea. J

“How many random names are there total for Factions survivors and in those total amount of random names, is there any chance that we may come across your names? Smiley Happy” – L_A_White_Boy

Yes and a lot. Ha. We haven’t done the math but there are a ton.

Previous Q&A with Naughty Dog Threads:

May 2012 | June 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | November 2012 | December 2012 | January 2013 | February 2013 |  March 2013 | April 2013 | May 2013 | July 2013 | August 2013 | September 2013 | October 2013 | November 2013 | December 2013 | January 2014 | February 2014 | March 2014 | April 2014 | May 2014 | July 2014 |

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 1 of 44 (1,999 Views)
Fender Bender
3418 posts

Re: ** Q&A with the Naughty Dog Development Team: August Edition **

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014
In TLOU's Faction MP, there are several areas in a lot of the maps that see little to no action, until one of the teams starts to camp. I was wondering would the Dogs consider moving around some of the supply boxes to some of the "Uncharted" parts of the map?

For example the Supply Box at Bookstore, near the old coffee shop, could be replaced with the box in Survivors, located up stairs (if only just in Supply Raid, seeing as that may work awkwardly for Interrogation).
Message 2 of 44 (1,986 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7093 posts

Jul 31, 2014

can you make a co-op mode?

Being more serious, will we ever see more customization beyond hats and masks? I'm not talking about creating a character or bringing in SP characters, but simply more options to change. I'm personally thinking about backpacks and simply having different styles of them with 2 variations of each, firefly/hunter ones. Possibly even aesthetically changing your guns appearance.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 3 of 44 (1,983 Views)
Wastelander
613 posts

Jul 31, 2014

1) Would it be dificult for the Fireflys to get joels sidearm holster and the Hunters to visually tuck sidearms in their pants on ps4?

2) What If the machete executed with its 3rd hit, or anybody with 33% or less health. It could look just like the singleplayer machete kills.

And while removing its refresh on spawn.(maybe remove modding to) Make it so it could have a durability of up to 9 by stacking its durability when purchasing.  This is a must .
Not OP. It has effectively zero range. so it has to be great at slashing.

Durability has always been its downfall so at least let it do what every other purchasable can do. Stack "ammo"

photo new sig 2_zpsrq3egqdm.jpg
Message 4 of 44 (1,971 Views)
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Jul 31, 2014

Question 1.) Have you every thought about implementing the infected in the Mulitplayer?

Message 5 of 44 (1,969 Views)
Gaming Beast
1717 posts

Jul 31, 2014
When is Remustard being released?
Lol anywho...

Since hats are life (Confirmed)... How many DLC Packs are coming, ones with actual hats? Why not offer a season pass?
"Only a complete idiot would quote himself" - Vorlonator

^ Click ON DAT For my Youtube Channel! Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 44 (1,952 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5219 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2014

Why did you decide to show the deleted scene to people that attended and not to show it on the livestream?

Aside from giving incentive to attend.

Why was it deleted?

Message 7 of 44 (1,950 Views)
Fender Bender
2812 posts

Jul 31, 2014

Why does TLOU Remastered MP seem to suffer from issues (weak vibration, broken in-game chat) that didn't exist in the PS3 version?

Message 8 of 44 (1,936 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1351 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2014

tack129 wrote:

Why did you decide to show the deleted scene to people that attended and not to show it on the livestream?

Aside from giving incentive to attend.

Why was it deleted?

That scene was created just for One Night Live. It was never supposed to be in the game (and wasn't even real when the game came out) (source: twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/494884119608696832 )

Message 9 of 44 (1,917 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17639 posts

Jul 31, 2014

Can we have an infected co op mode?

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 10 of 44 (847 Views)