Dec 29 2011
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11453 posts

What were the best/worst films in 2011?

5 replies 350 views Edited Dec 29, 2011

Sequels, originals, and some that just plain stunk, 2011 is almost over. It's been another year full of more films than we can keep track of. Of the best of them, the worst of them, that'll be up to those in the respective award spots and the fellow folk of the world to decide - for all of us or just by your lonesome.

Past the sequel to Sherlock, after Rio's birds graced our presense, and finishing up the last of the Harry Potters... what do you think made the cut for the very best film of 2011? Any ideas about what made you cringe this year either? Go ahead and name them all, or as many as you'd like to, and let's see which of this year's crops moviegoers loved to finance.

Message 1 of 6 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re: What were the best/worst films in 2011?

Jan 2, 2012

The Best Films (in my opinion anyway) were

1. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Sooo good)

2. The Thing Prequel (I don't understand why this film got such low ratings It ruled!)

3. Umm thats basically it lol There may be one or 2 more but I don't remember

The worse films, pretty much everything that came out in 2011 minus the ones mentioned.

Message 2 of 6 (350 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11453 posts

Jan 2, 2012

The Planet of the Apes and Thing movies are two I haven't watched yet myself, but I'm sure I'll catch them eventually. Rather, I did see the new Tintin movie in with Andy Serkis... which made for a decent experience.

This year, some of the very best movies included comedies such as the surprisingly good Horrible Bosses and the even better Bridesmaids. Stove should have gone back to the kitchen.

My favorite film though has to be Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. It's jam-packed with explosive action scenes all around. The story and everything is pretty good too. It's enough to be the kind of movie that brings everything together just the way you want it.

The worst movie, on the other hand... I've seen weaker films before, but this year Beastly is the least likeable. When you involve the Olsen Twins (or one twin?) in a bland take on the popular Beauty and the Beast fairytale, it's not good.

Message 3 of 6 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7590 posts

Jan 3, 2012

the best movies for 2011 in my opinion would be the superhero ones. (Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern, I reall enjoyed them all, and can't wait for the sequals) There may be others, but I really enjoyed the ones I mentioned, the superhero ones were well done.

Message 4 of 6 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
33907 posts

Aug 11, 2012

I was blown away by The Avengers.  That was my favorite this year.

In second place I would say Hunger Games.  Very good movie.

Now I'll comment on some other movies peole have mentioned.

Bridesmaids - I expected more.  If not for Melissa McCarthy there would not be much to see.

Ghost Protocol - That Shawn of the Dead guy ruined it for me.  He was just too goofy.  Maybe if I was expecting that I would have enjoyed it more.  But I was expecting something more serious.

Green Lantern - I expected much more.  This was no Avengers.  It had some decent "oh wow" moments but was mostly predictable and unidirectional.

And the big let-down for me: Harry Potter finale.

I kept finding myself saying what I would do if I was Harry Potter.  He was really pathetic I thought.  I suppose I should go into spoiler mode by now.

Spoiler

It was obvious that Voldemort had to die.  This was about 5 movies overdue.

When Voldemort kept hiding like a coward and bragging about what he was going to do, Harry was trying to track him down.  He should have projected his face in the sky (like in Hunger Games) where he boldly informs everyone that he would soon kill Voldemort and that hiding like a coward would no longer save him.  Then remind him (and everyone else) that Voldemort couldn't kill him as an infant and his days are now numbered.  Make him look like a cowardly loser chump in front of his minions and force him to show up to fight at a time of Harry's choosing.

Just shoot him.  Someone have a sniper rifle and hide up in Hogwarts tower.  You have to at least try.  If he still has 4 lives, shoot him 5 times.  Repeat as necessary.

Never ever ever throw away the super powerful mega magic wand.  Duh.

They made a big deal about how Harry had to die at just the right time if Voldemort was to die, but then Harry didn't die according to plan.

Message 5 of 6 (343 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1226 posts

Aug 12, 2012

Source Code and X-men First Class were my favs of last year. Can't think of anything I saw that I disliked so I can't really list anything for the worst.

Message 6 of 6 (339 Views)
0 Likes