Highlighted
Fender Bender
4384 posts

Re: Bruno?

Jun 26, 2009

Crusnik86 wrote:

Dc-FrAnChIsE_5 wrote:
Personally, I think this movie is gonna be stupid. But thats just me.

I couldn't agree more, movies such as these shouldn't be made just like Date Movie, Meet the Spartans, Scary Movies 2,3,4 ect..... 

you are really missing the point about these movies. Borat and Bruno are stupid and crude and vulgar, and they are made to offend, but they are also made to truly show the ignorance, homophobia etc. that is still in today's society. Sacha uses crude comedy to reveal this rampant discrimination that is still present in today's society. mabye i am just looking too deep into these films, but i think it is nothing short of genious when you can blend crude and hilarious comedy with an actual message that is realevant and important in today's society.to put sacha's comedy with the likes of Meet The Spartans is truly a crime. You have to look at the underlying message of his characters, there are so many people that judge based on race, sexual orientation, religion, and we have to stop it once and for all.

I'm doneSmiley Tongue

Message 21 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4509 posts

Jun 26, 2009

JuSToWn3dU wrote:

Crusnik86 wrote:

Dc-FrAnChIsE_5 wrote:

I couldn't agree more, movies such as these shouldn't be made just like Date Movie, Meet the Spartans, Scary Movies 2,3,4 ect..... 

you are really missing the point about these movies. Borat and Bruno are stupid and crude and vulgar, and they are made to offend, but they are also made to truly show the ignorance, homophobia etc. that is still in today's society. Sacha uses crude comedy to reveal this rampant discrimination that is still present in today's society. mabye i am just looking too deep into these films, but i think it is nothing short of genious when you can blend crude and hilarious comedy with an actual message that is realevant and important in today's society.to put sacha's comedy with the likes of Meet The Spartans is truly a crime. You have to look at the underlying message of his characters, there are so many people that judge based on race, sexual orientation, religion, and we have to stop it once and for all.

I'm doneSmiley Tongue

while i do agree that some of the stuff he does in his movies is funny and they in no way should be compared to the pieces of crap known as those "parody" movies, i think Sacha fails at showing the ignorance and discrimination of certain stereotypes because of the way he behaves towards people in his movies.

For exmaple, in Borat when he was trying to forceably give a man a hug and started chasing the man down, i doubt it was because of the Borat character being middle eastern, if anyone started to try and chase me down and give me a "hug" id probably get pretty pissed off myself cuz i have no idea what theyre capable of or what theyre planning to do.

Also at the dinner party at that familys home, he did so many offensive things to that family, pooping in a bag, insulting a mans wifes looks at the table,  and they were nice and patient with him until he brought a prostitute in their home.

In Bruno i hear he sneaks into a hunters tent butt naked while hes asleep.

So if its ignorance and prejudice hes trying to expose, he doesnt do a very good job at it.

If you are a Christian, put this in your sig!
Message 22 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3260 posts

Jun 26, 2009

I not a huge Cohen fan, but do enjoy his "shtick" from time to time.  I find Ali G being my favorite character due to fact that he is the least antagonistic of any of the roles.

Bruno seems like it is just Borat rehashed, from a different perspective.  I am hoping this will be the last of Cohen's shock and awe portrayals.  I think he has the chops for more; but then again he may be a one trick pony.

Message 23 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5687 posts

Jun 26, 2009
I'm going to see this, it looks pretty funny.
Message 24 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4905 posts

Jun 26, 2009

JuSToWn3dU wrote:

Crusnik86 wrote:

Dc-FrAnChIsE_5 wrote:

I'm doneSmiley Tongue

This is true. He made a whole stadium once admit that they hate Jews and want to destroy or kill either Iraq or another mostly Muslim country. He reveals the hatred within the people with comedic genius. Cohen is Jewish but constantly refer to them as monsters so he may expose racists and anti-semites. Bruno will reveal homophobia in different situations.

Photobucket
Message 25 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Jun 26, 2009
damn, i can't help but laugh whenever i see the trailer and am curious to watch it but i doubt it'll get any of my money.. i dunno i just think some of the stuff is just plain mean to the people that he's fooling, funny but mean.
Message 26 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10809 posts

Jun 27, 2009

hazguitarhero wrote:

Ali G was really big here in Britain a few years ago. I didn't find him as funny as Borat though.

which is exactly why an Ali G movie can work. Notice how all these movies (Borat, Bruno) take North American people and use them, all of them off guard and uneducated with the characters. It'd work the same with Ali G

---
NOT 'ROUND THESE PARTS ANYMORE... BUT YOU'LL FIND ME HERE ---> http://www.moviefancentral.com/wp-dfa

come on down!
Message 27 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
496 posts

Jun 27, 2009

Seeing as he likes breaking taboos... could his next character be in blackface?

That would offend a hell of a lot of people, and it would also deal with the problem of him being recognised as people wouldn't expect it. Thoughts?

Message 28 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

Jun 27, 2009

hazguitarhero wrote:

Seeing as he likes breaking taboos... could his next character be in blackface?

That would offend a hell of a lot of people, and it would also deal with the problem of him being recognised as people wouldn't expect it. Thoughts?

what do u mean by "blackface"?
Photobucket

Message 29 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3260 posts

Jun 27, 2009

itachi-dono wrote:

what do u mean by "blackface"?

It refers to a theatrical makeup technique used to portray a certain archetype.

I don't disagree with some of the thoughts about Cohen's motives.  I don't believe any of his antics are done with good intentions though.

Message 30 of 36 (0 Views)
0 Likes