• NA 3 May 2011
  •  

Multiplayer: 16-Player Online Multiplayer

4-Player Split Screen

Split Screen Online Multilayer

Rating(s):

Updated 10.27.12   16:49 PST

Intro

Motorstorm Apocalypse is the 3rd installment in the Motorstorm series for the Playstation 3. It was announced just before E3 2010. This game will involve nothing that any previous Motorstorm has ever attempted! Although it is the same game in essence a lot of differences have been introduced this time round. This game is being introduced just a mere 18 months since Pacific Rift was introduced game director Matt Southern reveals "Yeah, we were working on Apocalypse before Pacific Rift finished,".

Apocalypse will be rather different from the previous two games because this game will take place in an urban environment in a unnamed city on the west coast of a America, notably the San Fran bay area. The city is said to have LA style buildings and San Francisco style subway systems. The location in question is a city that is being decimated by earthquakes and is constantly degrading over the story mode.

Single Player

This game is said to have a story based around three characters, each with their own separate story. First the rookie, then the survivor who perhaps survived the previous games before, and lastly the veteran, who calls himself Big Dog who is said to have been in all previous festivals before. All three characters have their own story that will cross over as you progress. This is a very new idea to motorstorm since no previous game has ever offered a story. But the city is not empty as you might expect after an event of these proportions. It is full of people that simply refuse to leave. There are the private military contractors and the city dwellers. Both will become a new threat never seen in Motorstorm before. The private military will use weapons on you and the dwellers will try basic crude weapons, such as wreaking balls etc. This will give Motorstorm a whole new kind of feel as you race through street that are crumbling apart. As the building crumble new routes will open so many laps may be different from each other.  The game is also said to have 40 plus tracks with over 30 surface types for the vehicles to drive on!

The game is also said to contain a new photo mode to take photos as you race!

As the 3 day festival in the city goes on the city will constantly change as the earthquake does more damage until finally on the last day the city will fall. It will be interesting to see how this natural disaster will shape the tracks as you drive. Buildings will fall as you race.

Customization is going to be a big part of Apocalypse. Allowing players to change vinyl's, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. They can then upload the vehicles they created to a community site for all to download! You can also customize the way your car handles.  The modification tools invole the ability to add perks to your vehicle:

- Boost Perks - Will affect the power, duration, cooling and infleunce of external factors.
- Handling - Will affect the top speed, acceleration, grip, steering rates, etc.
- Combat - Will improve vehicle durability, rams, and few other things which I can't mention yet

Giving the user the power to add more grip or more speed. The game will also have all vehicles for both the previous Motorstorm games.

In Pacific Rift the game introduced a system to cool down a heat up you boost bar with fire and water. In Apocalypse that will still effect the car, but since water and fire may be less common then it was in Pacific Rift Evo has developed a system where air will cool your boost. Just simply remove your finger from the gas while in mid air and the air will cool down the boost.

On top of this is appears that Evo is once again pushing the bar with vehicle classes. Adding a whole bunch of new classes. A total of 13 classes will now be at the drivers disposal. With old favorites coming back and a bunch of new ones including: supercars, muscle cars, superbikes, and even choppers.

Vehicle Information:

- Superbike - Super agile bike which is great on the tarmac but struggles off road
- Chopper - Low riding bike which has bags of power but it the most difficult bike to handle.
- Hot Hatch - A first for the series, a Front Wheel Drive (FWD) vehicle that is super nimble, but it low riding height makes it trikcy to drive off-road
- Supercar - Fast & Grippy, but you need to keep this car on the tarmac when ever possible.
- Muscle Car - Probably our most technical (and fun) vehicle to drive, you need to be really gentle on the throttle to avoid the rear end spinning out.

Multiplayer

The game is set to have 16 player online multiplayer and 4 player split screen. But to make it even better you can will be able to go online with split screen! Online will also incorporate more rewards then ever. Giving the player lots to earn as he progresses through online. As well as a game mode creator so you can create your own sessions the way you want. Also a new wager system will allow you to bet money (in game of course) to win even more as you race online.

Soundtrack

The soundtrack is said to involve a lot of beats and thumps to give the game a very urban feel that fits it well. The game will also support fully customizable soundtracks as well.

Matt Southern: 
"We've got big plans for the soundtrack. We know that a lot of people want to use custom soundtracks from the cross-media bar so we're supporting that, and also delivering a proper musical score. It's very early days in terms of who is involved but Lalo Schifrin, the legendary Hollywood composer (Bullitt, Enter the Dragon, Rush Hour, Dirty Harry, Mission Impossible) is signed up to compose original music for us, which we are then going to hand to some of the best remix artists in the world to create an entire soundtrack."

001.jpg picture by Brrnout 003.jpg picture by Brrnout
004.jpg 005.jpg
006.jpg 007.jpg
008.jpg 009.jpg
010.jpg 011.jpg
012.jpg 013.jpg
014.jpg 015.jpg
016.jpg 017.jpg
018.jpg 019.jpg

020.jpg

Videos

Talking With The Developers. Questions asked by ShadowVisions, Answered By Phenom (Session on 6.10.10)

1. Will you continue support for the game after a few patches? Or give up and go to MS4? (lol)

We are aiming to be in a much better position to support the game after release than we have ever been before, and the whole team (including or online team) is working tirelessly to make sure that the game is as robust as possible in the first place. We've learned a lot from our first two games on PS3 and more from talking to our community directly on these forums.

2. WILL YOU TEST IT WELL? (I recommend a BETA)

Our Quality Assurance team will test the game rigorously and the way the game is being developed will improve this too. We're hoping to be able to do a beta, but don't know yet whether it will be feasible.

If there's any news of a public beta we'll make sure you guys are aware of it. 

3. Will Speed Weekend be included?

Details of game modes haven't been finalized yet so I don't know, sorry.

4. Will there be anything bigger than a Monster Truck? (please no, bikes online are a nightmare!)

Is there anything bigger than a Monster Truck!?

5. Will there be vehicle restrictions like in MS1?

What do you mean by restrictions (more specifically)?

6. Can you overhaul the buggy? It was terrible in both games and make it better, it's my favorite vehicle lol.

Why was it terrible? How would you like for it to be better? We're making every effort to make sure that each vehicle has advantages & disadvantages & that any vehicle on any track is capable of competing, so any feedback on what you liked or disliked about previous games is very welcome.

7. Will there be regular DLC?

The team is focusing on getting the game ready and to the highest standard & the game was only just announced - it's a little early to be thinking about expansion packs or bonus content! But your enthusiasm is great to see and asand when there is news on any additional goodness for MotorStorm Apocalypse I'll let you all know.

7.5 Will it be good? I got **bleep** at the MSPR livery pack for not having anything for my favorite vehicles LOL.

We were never going to be able to please everyone with the Signature Liveries! The customization in Apocalypse will give you the freedom to freshen up your favorite vehicles anyway.

8. UPGRADE VIP.MOTORSTORM.COM Hardcore fans have created sites much better than yours.

Please keep using the sticky thread to suggest what you'd like to see on VIP. And just as importantly, what you do use it for, or would like to use it for, etc.

9. Will you sponsor certain tournaments and leagues?

This is something we're really keen to do & I'm looking to do this for MSPR too. If anyone is organizing or running a tournament or league, drop me a PM here or on VIP.

10. You mentioned “Play, Create, Share” earlier. I’m hooked on MNR currently, will there be a track creator? Can you make your driver and car?

Mod Nation Racers is a great game. I've seen some of the MSPR themed stuff on there and it's incredible! I don't think there are any plans for creating completely new tracks, but we'll have more info on all of the "Play, Create, Share" features we're working on down the line.

11. Mode Customization- some specific features please?

We're still working on this, so I think it's a bit early for me to reveal any specifics & I don't want to set your expectations too high or too low. As we get nearer to release & can confirm specifics we will, for sure. :-) Again, please feel free to make suggestions (new thread maybe?)! 

12. My friends usually enjoy playing MSPR when we hang out at my house, and they even have their own account on my PS3. Can they earn trophies and stats while playing splitscreen online on my account?

I'll try and find out about this, I don't know for sure off the top of my head.

Oh, and I would like to bring up a moment when eb4tiky5ef79o took EVERY SINGLE RECORD in MSPR. You’ve GOT to have something named after him. (Maybe Cirrus5005 as well.)

We saw that moment. We were all impressed. Gobsmacked, even. But since then a lot of his records have been smashed, so I think the players who have beaten him might have something to say if eb4tiky5ef79o is featured in the game and they aren't. We'll see though, there may be opportunities for other cool ideas like this later down the line.

If you have something to add or wish for me to change the way something is done please don't hesitate to ask This is a work in progress!

Special Thanks to: Chigro, DM404, Easyaspie00, JacqaL, Oid69, Phenom_Evolution, & ShadowVisions for contributing to the making and collecting of information for this thread! I Appreciate it all!

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 92 of 118 (1,198 Views)
Limit Breaker
24365 posts

Re: The Motorstorm Apocalypse™ Information Thread

Jun 10, 2010

I just read about this through a Facebook post (Smiley Very Happy) and I think this will be the best MotorStorm yet. Can't wait for more info from E3!

If you want to use the article in your post Brrnout, feel free.

Article

49ers Sig photo 49ersSig.png
Message 1 of 118 (1,198 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the link. I love the picture in that post Smiley Happy

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 2 of 118 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5224 posts

Jun 10, 2010

Brrnout,  PLEASE with this information thread, be quick to see how other threads can make your info thread all the more helpful & meaningful. My complaint about your MSPR info thread was that it lacked alot of info forum members worked hard to uncover, example: Cirrus5005's boost trategy thread, links to fastest online & offline time threads, links to fastest video thread, links to MSPR leaderboard websites created by fellow motorstormers like turdus82, smrtb0mb, Panzerborn. 6 months or so after release your "stickied" thread had nowhere near the amount of MSPR info available AND IT WAS STICKIED !!

PLEASE DONT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN

Happy to be here for almost 5 years.
Message 3 of 118 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Jun 10, 2010

Sorry about that Axe, I never knew you even wanted me to add that kind of stuff to it. Now that I now I will do that for sure! If you give me links and stuff I will of course add it

I appreciate your imput a lot Axe!

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 4 of 118 (1,198 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1352 posts

Jun 10, 2010

Not a second late, eh Brrnout?

I've just read over the article posted on the Playstation Blog regarding the game, and I must say, I am quite impressed. I was this close to buying Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, but held off in the end. I'm still lacking a racing game for my Playstation 3 library (Modnation Racers didn't quite achieve what I was hoping for), so this is looking like a very definite purchase as of now. Nice thread, and thanks for the info!

Some things I think you are missing, however.

This game is looking awesome already, and it's just the first day of it's announcement!

EDIT: Ah, I see you already had the release date. I missed it, I'm sporting the Black Theme of the board, and the text blended in with the theme! Smiley Tongue

R.I.P. Paul Harvey (Sept. 4, 1918 - Feb. 28, 2009)

Operation Dentiform Alignment Initiated on Wednesday September 3, 2008
Heavy Enforcers Added on Tuesday October 8, 2008

Message 5 of 118 (1,198 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5224 posts

Jun 11, 2010

Brrnout wrote:

Sorry about that Axe, I never knew you even wanted me to add that kind of stuff to it. Now that I now I will do that for sure! If you give me links and stuff I will of course add it

I appreciate your imput a lot Axe!

Cheers, Brrnout

MY GOD YES BRRN !!!  i cant speak for all of us, but i can say that as a ms forum member i would love to see a thread that mixes beamers unofficial guide WITH an information thread, the best of both worlds whether you are a first time forum visitor OR a life long forum addict (not mentioning names ax *cough* ax). The thread would be helpful to all visitors in a most excellent way & if it gets stickied it would also add to the lifespan of hard earned threads like soups & Cirrus' & turdus (i had one as well )& well the list goes on & on, so that excellent threads that get buried dont have to be forgotten. 

Happy to be here for almost 5 years.
Message 6 of 118 (1,198 Views)
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Jun 11, 2010

This game looks Incredible! I own the 1st two games and plan on buying this one also!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 118 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3132 posts

Jun 11, 2010

Helicopters? Please either be concept art for the intro cutscene or AI controlled random events like the destruction, and not player controlled.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/zpeabody/twistedmetal.png

Message 8 of 118 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1243 posts

Jun 11, 2010

This is exciting  Smiley Happy  Cant waiiiiiit.

Photobucket

Message 9 of 118 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes