Survivor
2493 posts

Re: The K.I.S.S. approach to MotorStorm...

May 8, 2012

Catchup had its place at the table.  (Sorry for the pun.)

The fact is it was about choice.  Could be turned ON for some fun play like when we would all be on bikes smacking and hitting each other for 5 laps to the finish on certain tracks.  I never laughed so hard in my life with people in that race.  It was always a perfect ending to a perfect night of racing with catchup OFF where you were more serious and racing all out for the win.  Having the option in the game worked because both were unique to the objective at hand and brought lots of different types of racers to the game.

How To Bring Back MotorStorm: Evaluate / Standardize / Realistic Locations
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

May 8, 2012

I used to prefer catchup ON on MV for the simplae reason that it was so much more fun and everyone had some sort of chance regardless of their driving skills, it made for some incredibly fun racing. Ah the memories, you used to have such close finishes with 3 or 4 racers desperately seeking the finish line and all boost exploding over the line on rockhopper and mudpool for example, great stuff

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

May 8, 2012

SNOOKEE wrote:

I used to prefer catchup ON on MV for the simplae reason that it was so much more fun and everyone had some sort of chance regardless of their driving skills, it made for some incredibly fun racing. Ah the memories, you used to have such close finishes with 3 or 4 racers desperately seeking the finish line and all boost exploding over the line on rockhopper and mudpool for example, great stuff

I agree 100%.  The races were definitely much more competitive. Leads were difficult to keep.  You couldn't just leave the field and never look back.  It kept the field close from start to finish, so you always had racers climbing all over you for position.  It's what made Motorstorm unique and popular.  You could get into a battle with someone, wreck each other, and still have a chance to get in the top 3.  You didnt have to worry about it.  Just give as good as you get and keep racing.

Catchup was an optional setting, but most still preferred to leave it on.  It was rare to find a room that did not have catchup on.  That says that most didnt have a problem with it which is why they should default it to ON for the next game.  If the most popular game in the series had it defaulted to ON with next to no one turning it off, then maybe it wasnt such a good idea to get rid of catchup for the matchmaking system. 

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
893 posts

May 8, 2012

I never played MV, but catchup on sounds like a fun mode.

I  can see how the majority of gamers (which are casual racers) like that mode because no(t so much) skill is required.

But I am sure this game mode would quickly bore me.

For the main online mode I want competitive racing in the sense that skill is required to win and to achieve and maintain rank.

SympathyCheck this out, if you like Motorstorm Rankings

RIP MSPR :smileysad: - Burn in hell Sony :smileytongue:

http://joban123.weebly.com
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

May 9, 2012

joban123 wrote:

I never played MV, but catchup on sounds like a fun mode.

I  can see how the majority of gamers (which are casual racers) like that mode because no(t so much) skill is required.

But I am sure this game mode would quickly bore me.

For the main online mode I want competitive racing in the sense that skill is required to win and to achieve and maintain rank.

Check this out, if you like Motorstorm Rankingshttp://joban123.weebly.com

This is how Catchup works:

The amount of boost you get is scaled based on your position in the race.  The higher your position in the field, the less boost you get before overheating.

If your leading the race, you get very little boost before overheating.  If your last in the race, you can pretty much constantly boost without overheating.

You still had to be a skilled racer to finish in the top 3, so its not like this mode handed anyone a top finish.  You just had to deal with more traffic around you because the field was always bunched up for the most part.  People could still get out in front if they didnt wreck and most other racers did, so its not like a lead couldn't be had.  It just rarely came down to you vs the track.  There was always someone to fight for position.  The good racers on PR were also winning a lot in MV, so I'm not sure why they have a problem with it.  Yeah it was more of a fight, but that's what set this series apart.  Also, track blockers and jerks just there to run people off the road didnt ruin your race.  You just wreck them back and move on.

I have won far more races in both Pacific Rift and Apocalypse than I ever did in MV.  I placed in the top 3 a lot, but didnt necessarily win the race.  So you'd think I would not be for catchup right?  Well truth to be told, I prefer the constant battle to the finish.  Its more of a challenge and a lot more fun.  A lot more people played that game too, so yeah, I guess it did have an appeal for more casual gamers.  Still better than logging on and dealing with PR's ranked rooms or hoping someone is on with a casual race.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1180 posts

May 10, 2012

Nah, catchup ON mostly sucked on MSMV. It's more competitive but changed the game to arcade instead of racing. On Rockhopper bikes or RTs f.e. leading last corner is a disadvantage because of the boost. After a while i found out that in close races it's better to be 3rd before  last corner just to boost away to finish first. In addition there was no way to get a classy 2lap time on the tracks with catchup on.

And now, the end is here. And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll say it clear. I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life that's full of love. I traveled each and ev'ry highway. And more. Much more than this, I did it my way
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

May 10, 2012

Hi hburg32, catchup on wasn't perfect but the good thing was that there was the option to play either mode if you wanted to or even elimination mode. Then you have modes for the racers seeking top times and modes for the fun seekers, good for all tastes

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2493 posts

May 11, 2012

That's exactly right regarding Catchup.

Casual gamers enjoyed having it on because people always had a chance to win.  They could go from first to last to third to last and it made it really intense for them.

Eliminator was no fun unless you had catchup turned on.  Once again, the intensity was insane in our weekly (sometimes twice a week) eliminator rooms.  Eliminator in Apocalypse was kind of lame because it didn't have the same intensity.

On the other side, those who were more competitive raced with it off.  The MotorStorm League raced with it off and this is where you would find many of the best racing each Sunday.  Plus, other people had tournaments and raced with it off as well.

Like someone else said, not having "choices" in the subsequent releases has been a bummer.  To be honest, I liked them both because sometimes it was about just having crazy fun and at other times it was about being the first over the finish line.  Not having catchup as an option (just like not having Eliminator in Rift) really lessened a bit of the fun factor to attract so many different types of racers.

How To Bring Back MotorStorm: Evaluate / Standardize / Realistic Locations
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 14, 2012

hburg32 wrote:

Nah, catchup ON mostly sucked on MSMV. It's more competitive but changed the game to arcade instead of racing. On Rockhopper bikes or RTs f.e. leading last corner is a disadvantage because of the boost. After a while i found out that in close races it's better to be 3rd before  last corner just to boost away to finish first. In addition there was no way to get a classy 2lap time on the tracks with catchup on.

Ayrton Senna was caught 1992 speeding in London (125 mph). The Constable stopped, looked him right in the face and said: "Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?"

Just a quick response here. The game is arcade style if you think otherwise I think you're wrong. Its not a racing simulator. Secondly tk you should see if you can get this sticked so when and if Phenom or some other person comes back maybe just maybe they will read this, because this is all great stuff i'm reading here.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

May 14, 2012

Phenom doesn't come here any more. I'm still waiting for a reply to a PM from January 18. MIght have better luck posting a link in the EU forum, or getting onto his twitter account.

Great points in this thread though. Hope EVO reads them.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 38 (25 Views)
0 Likes