Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 13 2012
By: Seeing_Red_Again Splicer 70 posts

MotorStorm needs to be rebooted and made to be more like the original game

13 replies 809 views Edited Nov 13, 2012

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/05/02/evolution-job-listings-point-towards-full-scale-motor...

So Evolution Studios current project definitely sounds like a new MotorStorm, but judging by Apocalypse's sales it is pretty clear the PS3 install base has had enough of the series for now and will only get re-interested in the MotorStorm series when it makes it's debut on next gen with the PS4 and state of the art visuals.

But the current track the MotorStorm is on is dragging the series down. I remember my jaws dropping when I played the original MotorStorm with the the dirt roads and mountain terrain, all the levels were fun and aside from long loading times the game was just superb.

Pacific Rift added a lot of cool new things, but the island setting just kind of detracted a lot from the game. With all the greenery it was kind of hard to speed through the courses without it getting in the way a few times, it made navigating pretty annoying. Apocalypse took it a step further making the courses feel so cluttered and gimmicky with the explosions, I just couldnt stand to play it when I tried it out. I appreciate the whole cinematic thing they were going for, but the game ultimately made the series jump the shark and lose it's essence.

MotorStorm is best with big and wide open dirt roads, the draw distance is most clear and hardly ever do you feel like you are fighting the track just to enjoy the game. I seriously hope that MotorStorm PS4 is reboot of the original game, maybe with some leevels taking after Pacific Rift and Arctic Edge for change of scenery, but ultimately dirt roads and mountain terrains is what the series should focus on 

Message 1 of 14 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

Re: MotorStorm needs to be rebooted and made to be more like the original game

Nov 14, 2012

Are you kidding me.  Rift was by far the best in the series.  I couldn't stop playing Rift and have over 10,000 races on the Island.  I'll admit that the first one got me hooked, but Rift made me fall in love.  I'll tell you what I used to love the gran turismo series, but after playing a couple of motorstorms particularly Rift, I can't really stand gran turismo anymore.  Also, I think that Artic Edge was nearly as good as the original, but with not very many people having it and being on the PSP, it kinda died quickly.

Message 2 of 14 (784 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Pacific Rift made quite a few improvements over the original, but the first MotorStorm's setting (desert-ish terrain, wasteland tracks) worked best because there was no clutter or distractions.... the tracks were very clear. Taking PR's improvements and making MotorStorm PS4 in the original's setting is the way to revitalize the series  

Message 3 of 14 (760 Views)
Wastelander
929 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Well, I would like a combination of the original, Rift & Artic Edge.  If they are going to make things fall down on people, then make it like Rift, I like making things fall on people, but, on Apocalypse it falls down on the leader, thats rediculous, you spend all that hard work to get to the front then something falls on you and five people pass you.

Message 4 of 14 (738 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Yeah what I suggested is having Pacific Rift and Arctic Edge Terrain, but only in some tracks so it is mainly like the original MotorStorm. As in say 70% of tracks have the terrain of the first MotorStorm, 15% Pacific Rift and the other 15% being like Arctic Edge. And if they feel the need to add more it could always be through DLC

Apocalypse to me really jumped the shark, I understand that they needed to do something unique as they had three previous MotorStorm games all about different terrains and they didnt just want to re-use them so they had to do something gimmicky to try and sell Apocalypse. But the PS4 is a clean sleight for MotorStorm and the perfect time to bring back the original vision for it  

Message 5 of 14 (732 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Nov 15, 2012
the terrain and obstacles on Pacific Rift separated the men from the boys
Message 6 of 14 (726 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Nov 16, 2012
This will never happen, but it would be great if Evo just built an upgradable game engine and each sequel to the game just expanded on the last versions offerings. That way, we could still visit our old favourite tracks as well as the new ones but all within the same game. With future distribution looking more geared towards online, this makes sense.

I'd still like to see another motorstorm sequal on the ps3. Maybe I'm just selfish, but I'm bored of gaming at the moment and Motorstorm was one of the few games I really enjoyed.

As long as the next version goes back to it's off-road roots, loses the gimmicks, and brings better physics to the game, I'd be happy. I enjoy diverse environments. Monument Valley was great, but I enjoyed Pacific Rift more because the environments were so varied. I'd be happy with another location around the world which had a bit of everything and was very scenic and most importantly off-road.
Message 7 of 14 (688 Views)
Wastelander
929 posts

Nov 18, 2012

I just wish more people would come back to Apocalypse, I know Apocalypse isn't the best, but, it is still good.  Sometimes I have problems finding people to race online.

Message 8 of 14 (643 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Dec 28, 2012
Imo apocalypse has the best physics * rift had the worst.. *
the original had the best graphics
rift had the best racing and arctic edge had the best customization * you could change the colors ofy our rims , roll cage , and individual parts, move two layers of paint in any way you want etc. things you couldn't do in apocalypse.. makes me wish that they keped all teh cars and only let us use custom rims paint and accessorys..
Message 9 of 14 (527 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jan 7, 2013

I just got Apocalypse recently. I just got around to trying out the online multiplayer, and I have found a grand total of 2 people online to play against. I really like Apocalypse, and I wish more people would play, it'd be great to have chaotic 16 player online matches, but with only 2 people to play against online... I think I'll stick with the singleplayer modes.

Message 10 of 14 (457 Views)
0 Likes