Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 08 2011
By: Phenom_Evolution Wastelander 500 posts

MSA interview with Simon Barlow

30 replies 60 views Edited Feb 8, 2011

Ahead of the upcoming Wreckreation 'Developer Diaries' James Gallagher from PlayStation.Blog interviews Simon Barlow about MotorStorm Apocalypse, talking about online multiplayer and the challenge of bringing MotorStorm to a unique and unexpected urban location.

Watch it before anywhere else on EU PlayStation.Blog!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (60 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1425 posts

Re: MSA interview with Simon Barlow

Feb 8, 2011

Sounds great, I'm pretty excited to see the game when it's released (...in another 2 months here in N.A. )

But... one prediction: perks are a bad idea. Having played GT5 for a couple of months, I find one of the more frustrating aspects is setting up races where people are on a level playing field. One of the great things about MSPR and MSMV is that right out of the box, you've got all you need to compete with the best of the best out there. Whether you CAN or not is up to your skills, not whether you've unlocked this perk or not.

I think what's gonna happen is that there will be an immediate rush to unlock all the perks so that you're not at a disadvantage. After that, noobs will not only be at a disadvantage due to skills, they simply won't have the speed/power/powerups or whatever needed to compete. It also makes me wonder if it'll sabotage the longevity of the game - once the player base shrinks and the number of ranked players dwindles, it'll be very difficult for newer players to compete at all. In a more general sense, I think perks are a fad right now in the gaming world which will be looked back on as something of a mistake. I just hope it doesn't impact MSA too adversely.

Also, the camera: MSPR's camera is, I've got to say, the best "chase cam" I've ever seen in a racing game. I simply can't deal with GT5's horribly cheap-looking external fixed camera (actually all of GT5's views are awful), and the cameras for MSMV, NFSHP, MCLA all pale by comparison. So hearing that you guys have re-engineered it makes me a tad apprehensive.

Won't comment too much on the track designs. I've got a lot of the same concerns that others have about the plain-looking straightaways we've seen so far and the seeming reliance on visual chaos over technical driving... but until I've actually played it I'll withold judgement on that.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (60 Views)
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

Feb 8, 2011

I'll be interested to see how the whole betting for chips thing works out. I guess you can always bet against the trackblockers and be guaranteed some chips, haha, finally we'll get something out of the trackblockers' stupidity.

LUNATIC4LIFE

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Ringer471
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (60 Views)
Wastelander
678 posts

Feb 9, 2011

from comments below the vid -

the demo is still planned....good, i thought it was a gonna since originally it would be out around xmas.

It has been over 100 Days:

The "People Vs. MotorStorm Apocalypse" thread has still not been answered. and has now disappeared altogether...just like on the EU forum ha ha

...and into another weekend we go..we go..we go..we go..we go...we go...we go...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Feb 9, 2011

Dear Phenom,

I formally challenge you and your co-developers to a  Developers vs Players competition on Motorstorm Apocalypse for 1 month  after game release.

What do you guys think?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (60 Views)
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Feb 9, 2011

oid69 wrote:

from comments below the vid -

the demo is still planned....good, i thought it was a gonna since originally it would be out around xmas.

Spare the rod ...spoil the child

I was just going to ask about this.

@Phenom It's only a month before the actual game is released... when will the demo be available?

------------------------------

MS:A is a great game and any noob quoting others to show otherwise is an absolute disgrace to the MotorStorm community.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Feb 9, 2011

Ringer471 wrote:

I'll be interested to see how the whole betting for chips thing works out. I guess you can always bet against the trackblockers and be guaranteed some chips, haha, finally we'll get something out of the trackblockers' stupidity.

LUNATIC4LIFE

haha brilliant, finally a use for trackblockers

cant wait to see if people make a mistake and try trackblocking on a point to point race

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (60 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Feb 9, 2011

This game will be simply amazing!  And its 2 months away, not 1.  But nonetheless, a demo should be right around the corner I would think. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Feb 9, 2011

SOCOMAO3 wrote:

This game will be simply amazing!  And its 2 months away, not 1.  But nonetheless, a demo should be right around the corner I would think. 

March 17 for EU

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (60 Views)
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Feb 9, 2011

1280x.jpgI don't know where to go. I think I stop playing MSPR in March but i don't know which game is the next for me : GT5 or MSA ? :/

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (60 Views)
0 Likes