Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jan 14 2013
By: StevensonJosh Lombax Warrior 108 posts
Offline

Your favorite MGS

78 replies 198 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

I was just wondering what's everyone's favorite 'MGS'? And why?

Mine's got to be 'Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater'. Overall its got everything... A great story line, good graphics (Even when it came out for the playstation2), awesome stealth based game and the characters are cool as well.
As much as I love all the 'Metal Gear Solid' games there was one I wasn't too keen on...
'Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty'.
I didn't enjoy playing as Raiden, he comes across as a screw loose and didn't seem to have the cool whiz about him like Snake does.

Hope to get some good & positive feed back!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 79 (198 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/21/2010
Offline
8267 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

Im with you on that one...

 

I loved snakeeater!!! 

 

especially when he goes to eat!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 79 (192 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11073 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

My favorite Metal Gear Solid is the infamously subjugated Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. While the first one was brilliant, by all means the second one did graphics and sounds better, it had a better plot, and playing as Raiden was the same as playing Snake only with a different personality (which I liked). The second game had a great cast of new villains that I came to love. It also has Emma. Stain or not, she's hot. :smileywink:


Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 79 (188 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/05/2013
Offline
108 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

My favorite Metal Gear Solid is the infamously subjugated Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. While the first one was brilliant, by all means the second one did graphics and sounds better, it had a better plot, and playing as Raiden was the same as playing Snake only with a different personality (which I liked). The second game had a great cast of new villains that I came to love. It also has Emma. Stain or not, she's hot. :smileywink:


Really? I suppose it was great playing 'MGS2' with the new graphics and so on, but it doesn't compare with 'MGS3'! Plus Emma's ok but what about EVA :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 79 (182 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/14/2004
Offline
4939 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

It's difficult. MGS2 was my first MGS and it probably my favourite, but with the lack of a good conclusion with MGS4, it doesn't do as well as it did before MGS4. As great as MGS3 is, it left a bitter taste in my mouth because I had hoped for a sequel plus I'll always like Solid Snake (Master Miller) better than Big Boss, MGS3 also ruined Big Boss as a villain by starting a series of games that turned Big Boss from evil to more of gritty hero.

 

MGS1 is probably the most all round complete game of the series with the most solid characters, most solid gameplay and most solid story, plus it features the original Master Miller.

 

 

I'd have to go with Twin Snake's because it takes, arguably, one of the best games of the series, if not all time and made it better.

 photo NorphSig.png

"Postman Pat has a black and white cat, what does Big Boss have? NOTHING! THATS WHAT! HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TWO FUNCTIONAL EYES LIKE PAT. OR A VAN!" - F0X
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 79 (177 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11073 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is another great entry in the series. However... Metal Gear Solid 3's bosses could easily be defeated with cheat tactics. While interesting in itself, you could easily dispose of The End before you ever fought him. I chose to go with the fight instead of sniping him in the wheelchair. There was another trick with The Fear, where you could use infrared to spot him and quickly get past that point in the game.

 

Another thing about the bosses in the third and even the fourth entries... they lacked story. All of the Metal Gear Solid 2 bosses are well-developed. Metal Gear Solid 3's bosses? Aside from the likes of Colonel Volgin and Ocelot you don't really get to know who those characters are. In Metal Gear Solid 3, as I remember, the bosses also had their bodies disposed of in an unnatural way. It was weird watching them explode instead of having them give off a dying dialogue as was done in the earlier games.


Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 79 (176 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
32261 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

MGS3 followed extremely closely by MGS2. my reasons have already been stated a bajillion times in this forum over the years.

i also have to put Peace Walker in behind MGS3 and MGS2, i really enjoyed that game.


Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 79 (171 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
32261 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is another great entry in the series. However... Metal Gear Solid 3's bosses could easily be defeated with cheat tactics. While interesting in itself, you could easily dispose of The End before you ever fought him. I chose to go with the fight instead of sniping him in the wheelchair. There was another trick with The Fear, where you could use infrared to spot him and quickly get past that point in the game.

 

Another thing about the bosses in the third and even the fourth entries... they lacked story. All of the Metal Gear Solid 2 bosses are well-developed. Metal Gear Solid 3's bosses? Aside from the likes of Colonel Volgin and Ocelot you don't really get to know who those characters are. In Metal Gear Solid 3, as I remember, the bosses also had their bodies disposed of in an unnatural way. It was weird watching them explode instead of having them give off a dying dialogue as was done in the earlier games.


but we did learn their backstories in the game. :smileysad:

and they exploded because they had explosives on them. it was a tactic that the unit created for use in WW2 to prevent the enemy from getting their bodies if they were KIA. and the bosses that matter did have dialog before they exploded.

 

as for MGS2's bosses backstories, we knew just as much about them as we did any other bosses.

only difference between MGS2 and MGS3's bosses is that MGS2's were more involved with the story, but you also have to consider that there were only 5 bad guys in MGS2 and 7 in MGS3, so a few MGS3 bosses had to take the back seat to others, mainly The Pain, The Fear and The Fury, however we learned more about The Fury than we did Pain and Fear.


Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 79 (170 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/08/2012
Offline
1582 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013
I'm about halfway through the fourth game. I just met Big Mama in the European city. I thought it was cool to present the character of EVA in this way. Anyhoot, my favorite has to be the original, which I only played for the first time very recently. The characters, setting, and storyline are unforgettable. The atmosphere created in the game is just incredible. Plus it has the best boss battles in the series (Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Gray Fox fistfight, Metal Gear REX/Liquid Snake, Sniper Wolf, the Hind, Ocelot). I think in the end, I may like MGS4 more. It is too early to tell. Based on the three games that I have played, here is my order:
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Not sure where MGS4 will fit in there. Also, is it worth playing Metal Gear and/or Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake? They are in the HD Collection, and I'm thinking about playing them after I beat MGS4. Idk I seems like the story of those games were covered fairly well in the first Metal Gear Solid.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 79 (164 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
32261 posts
 

Re: Your favorite MGS

Jan 14, 2013

HM01_Impaler wrote:
I'm about halfway through the fourth game. I just met Big Mama in the European city. I thought it was cool to present the character of EVA in this way. Anyhoot, my favorite has to be the original, which I only played for the first time very recently. The characters, setting, and storyline are unforgettable. The atmosphere created in the game is just incredible. Plus it has the best boss battles in the series (Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Gray Fox fistfight, Metal Gear REX/Liquid Snake, Sniper Wolf, the Hind, Ocelot). I think in the end, I may like MGS4 more. It is too early to tell. Based on the three games that I have played, here is my order:
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Not sure where MGS4 will fit in there. Also, is it worth playing Metal Gear and/or Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake? They are in the HD Collection, and I'm thinking about playing them after I beat MGS4. Idk I seems like the story of those games were covered fairly well in the first Metal Gear Solid.

dont bother playing the first MG games, they are very irrelevant to the MGS story now.

well you can play them if you want, its just that you dont need to for the MGS story.


Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 79 (161 Views)
Reply
0 Likes