Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2006
Offline
41020 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Open World

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

So the promo image shows a younger Big Boss (near PW-ish) and what we see in the footage is older yet he's tracking down Paz and Chico. Wondering how much time has passed since PW and if we'll get 2 Chapters/Acts where we play him shortly after PW (the younger version seen) and then later on, a few years down the line when he's gotten older, joined with FOX and trying to further MSF/OH, we play as him prior to MG1.

We just need dates now to line this up for speculation :smileyvery-happy:

 

EDIT: I'm screwing up here.  He'd be still furthering MSF to build OH on the side but I guess we'll see how he gets around to FOXHOUND in this game.  Forgot MSF uniforms still run the old FOX logo as well.



Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 139 (282 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
32175 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Open World

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:
So the promo image shows a younger Big Boss (near PW-ish) and what we see in the footage is older yet he's tracking down Paz and Chico. Wondering how much time has passed since PW and if we'll get 2 Chapters/Acts where we play him shortly after PW (the younger version seen) and then later on, a few years down the line when he's gotten older, joined with FOX and trying to further MSF/OH, we play as him prior to MG1.

We just need dates now to line this up for speculation :smileyvery-happy:

i dont think the promo pic shows a younger Big Boss.

70% of his face is blocked so we cant really tell his age, and his hair is dark because its wet.

 

however, Kojima switching out character renders wouldnt be a first. perhaps Kojima is pulling a "MGS2" and what we are seeing in the video is shortly after PW and we do play as a younger Big Boss, aka the "Tanker Mission".

later some time passes and we play as the older Big Boss that was shown in some unknown setting, aka the "Plant Mission".

but he took the old Big Boss from the "Plant Mission" and put him into the "Tanker Mission". like a reverse MGS2. :smileytongue:

wow, i literally just said exactly what you said. :smileyvery-happy:

 

the old Big Boss we see looks as if hes 15-20 years older than what he was in PW. however they are talking about Paz being alive and recovered from the ocean, that doesnt seem like info that would spring up over a decade after the incident.


Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 139 (276 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/27/2007
Online
8341 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Open World

Sep 1, 2012
The spaghetti is just flying out of my pocket at this point. It's amazing. I can't wait for hi-res screens of this to hit the net.
Take back the future
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 139 (267 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2006
Offline
41020 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Open World

Sep 1, 2012

the_original_se wrote:
the old Big Boss we see looks as if hes 15-20 years older than what he was in PW. however they are talking about Paz being alive and recovered from the ocean, that doesnt seem like info that would spring up over a decade after the incident.

That's what throws me off.  The way he looks and the mention of Paz.  If Paz was still alive after what happened on Mother Base, I would think Big Boss would have tried to recover her from the get go or someone would have brought it to his attention.  They also mention an upcoming UN nuclear inspection of Mother Base linked to the 'Paz leak'.  So Zero meddling?



Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 139 (255 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
32175 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Open World

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
the old Big Boss we see looks as if hes 15-20 years older than what he was in PW. however they are talking about Paz being alive and recovered from the ocean, that doesnt seem like info that would spring up over a decade after the incident.

That's what throws me off.  The way he looks and the mention of Paz.  If Paz was still alive after what happened on Mother Base, I would think Big Boss would have tried to recover her from the get go or someone would have brought it to his attention.  They also mention an upcoming UN nuclear inspection of Mother Base linked to the 'Paz leak'.  So Zero meddling?


perhaps.

right now im leaning towards the "MGS2 theory" of the game. 2 acts, one a prequel to the main act.

however they could have easily just put that dialog into the video, it might not necessarily be in that part of the game.

we wont know for sure until a full theatrical trailer comes out.


Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 139 (253 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/21/2011
Offline
478 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Big Boss, Open World

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2012

IGN has the extended trailer with game play here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-extended-14-minute-demo

 

If that's Naked Snake we get to play as, I'm willing to bet the kid in the cage is Solid Snake...

 

Edit: Scratch that, it's probably Chico.

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 139 (249 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/20/2008
Offline
7393 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Big Boss, Open World

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2012

So am I the only one concerned with the lack of weapon/item menus on-screen?

 

Other than that it looks absolutely wonderful. 

 

Also, inb4 that bad guy was a young Decoy Octopus. 

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 139 (231 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/15/2006
Offline
41020 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Big Boss, Open World

Sep 2, 2012

SergeantVincent wrote:

So am I the only one concerned with the lack of weapon/item menus on-screen?

 

Other than that it looks absolutely wonderful. 

 

Also, inb4 that bad guy was a young Decoy Octopus. 


Maybe only what you can carry?  Streamlining it as much as possible without having to bring up menus.  Context prompts for using key items, 2-3 weapons (primary or 2  + side arm + thrown/placeable) so you can just easily cycle them.  That's my assumption though.  Could just have no HUD for demo purposes as this was to also showcase the FOX engine.



Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 139 (225 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/20/2008
Offline
7393 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Big Boss, Open World

Sep 2, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

SergeantVincent wrote:

So am I the only one concerned with the lack of weapon/item menus on-screen?

 

Other than that it looks absolutely wonderful. 

 

Also, inb4 that bad guy was a young Decoy Octopus. 


Maybe only what you can carry?  Streamlining it as much as possible without having to bring up menus.  Context prompts for using key items, 2-3 weapons (primary or 2  + side arm + thrown/placeable) so you can just easily cycle them.  That's my assumption though.  Could just have no HUD for demo purposes as this was to also showcase the FOX engine.


Kinda what I was thinking. Back whenever MGS4 was at TGS it had some alpha gameplay and no menus. 

 

...Man, those were some times. Crazy discussions back in those days.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 139 (222 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/27/2007
Online
8341 posts
 

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - FOX Engine, Big Boss, Open World

Sep 2, 2012
I kind of hope we don't get any HUD. I don't think I've ever seen a truly open world game without a HUD, and with MGS you know what you're getting into/doing so you don't really NEED one. Because that entire thing looked smooth, so smooth.

I hope the burned up guy is Gene. Coming back with a vengeance after having his idea stolen and realized, after stealing his idea from The Boss. I really want to see some sort of Scarface dealio. "You were on top of the world, but now the world is out to get you" type situation that pushes Big Boss over the edge. MGS4 said that he was never actually evil, in the sense that he did bad things just to do bad things, but was actually going to as many extremes as he could to stop Zero and end The Patriots, and I would love to see him get pushed over that edge.
Take back the future
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 139 (214 Views)
Reply
0 Likes