Highlighted
Sep 11 2012
By: Shadyhere Fender Bender 3397 posts

Metal Gear Portable Ops vs Peace Walker?

16 replies 2419 views Edited Sep 11, 2012

First of all support my pathetic attempt to get Metal Gear Portable Ops on the Vita int the US by clicking here

-Leave a Comment or something

-It's a link to another thread in these forums

-Get SCEA aware or Kojima(which ever)

Now I've recently really wanted to play Metal Gear Portable Ops on my PS Vita. I've emailed Sony and even called but, thats a different story. I was thinking about my experience with Metal Gear Portable Ops and I was comparing it to my experience with Metal Gear Peace Walker.

Now I have to say I did enjoy Metal Gear Portable Ops more. Maybe the game wasn't as in depth and maybe it wasn't nesecarily a better game but, I really liked PO and I would go as far as to say I liked it more than Peace Walker. At the time everything about it was just **bleep** cool, the recruiting, the online, the fact that it was MGS on the go.

So it could be that I didn't get to fully appreciate Peace Walker( beat out the main missions and a bunch of side missions and played online) but, I just enjoyed Metal Gear Portable Ops.

What game did you like better?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Only a coward accepts Death"

"
Only a coward accepts death"
Message 1 of 17 (2,419 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33663 posts

Re: Metal Gear Portable Ops vs Peace Walker?

Sep 11, 2012

i though PW was leaps and bounds ahead of PO.

PO always striked me as a half-assed attempt to just get a MGS onto the PSP, in terms of gameplay and story. plus most, if not all, aspects about PO had been improved upon in PW.

Message 2 of 17 (2,417 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3397 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2012

I can't disagree one bit but, like I said I enjoyed Portable Ops a bit more even if it's not as good. My oppinion I think could be a bit biased. I played Peace Walker mainly on a console but, some stuff just bothered me too. The boss battles I'd get my **bleep** kicked in.

I always needed the help of a co op friend. I also never got to build Zeke. So I admit my oppinion was a bit biased but, still like PO just as much as PW.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Only a coward accepts Death"

"
Only a coward accepts death"
Message 3 of 17 (2,410 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8613 posts

Sep 11, 2012

PO is better. PW has a stupid story, with characters that are basically copy and paste of other characters. The gameplay is just endless grinding. PO is closer to a proper MGS. The only thing PW has going for it is Master Miller. Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 17 (2,397 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41509 posts

Sep 11, 2012
I want to say I'm in the middle on this. I do agree with SE on PO seeming like a half-assed attempt at getting a 'proper/canon' MGS title on PSP at the time (not AC!D) and that PW does aspects that PO attempted better but I also see FOX's point with the grinding and you're points on the Bosses and such.

I think if PO had PW's setup (better recruit management and recruiting, the controls, etc.), I think PO would stand-out better (or be referenced more) as a 'proper' MGS title on PSP and PW itself would probably be looked at as a 'Co-Op/MH-ish' approach for the series as a follow up. But PO works in PW's favor in all this cause of the way PO was pulled off =\

I'm done rambling.

Message 5 of 17 (2,384 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
563 posts

Sep 11, 2012
I enjoyed Peace Walker a lot better than PO. I enjoyed the fact that they actually attempted 3D cutscenes and not making it completely comic style cutscenes, and I felt the story was better, didn't seem like they were trying to tie in just a bunch of characters and events. The only thing I wish they did with Peace Walker (PSP version) that I enjoyed in PO was the online functionality. I wish that I could actually play Peace Walker online on the PS Vita/PSP because not too many people in my area like MGS, so I don't have too many folks to play it with unless I play the PS3 version...
Message 6 of 17 (2,380 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41509 posts

Sep 11, 2012

Stealth1986 wrote:
I enjoyed Peace Walker a lot better than PO. I enjoyed the fact that they actually attempted 3D cutscenes and not making it completely comic style cutscenes, and I felt the story was better, didn't seem like they were trying to tie in just a bunch of characters and events. The only thing I wish they did with Peace Walker (PSP version) that I enjoyed in PO was the online functionality. I wish that I could actually play Peace Walker online on the PS Vita/PSP because not too many people in my area like MGS, so I don't have too many folks to play it with unless I play the PS3 version...

This was something I didn't get.  PO had online/infrastructure MP but PW only had Ad-Hoc.  Kind of a mind boggling step back with PW with it's heavy focus on Co-Op Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 17 (2,376 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33663 posts

Sep 11, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Stealth1986 wrote:

This was something I didn't get.  PO had online/infrastructure MP but PW only had Ad-Hoc.  Kind of a mind boggling step back with PW with it's heavy focus on Co-Op Smiley Indifferent

i think Konami got lazy and figured they didnt need online support because of the Ad-Hoc Party thing for PS3, which was an obvious mistake.

or they ran out of room on the UMD.

Message 8 of 17 (2,373 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
563 posts

Sep 12, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Stealth1986 wrote:

i think Konami got lazy and figured they didnt need online support because of the Ad-Hoc Party thing for PS3, which was an obvious mistake.

or they ran out of room on the UMD.

Yeah, being the game is 1408 MB and UMD's only hold 1.4 GB, I see them running out of room, but I think they were just too lazy to come up with a way to add it in.

I mean, they had in-game music available as in-game downloads. I think they could have taken some of the music they put on the UMD and made it available as a seperate DLC content to make room for online... But that's just one way of going about it...

Message 9 of 17 (2,364 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
563 posts

Sep 12, 2012
My bad. Doing research, I found that UMDs can hold up to 1.8 GB, so they could have fit an online functionality on the disc for Peace Walker if they really wanted to...
Message 10 of 17 (2,352 Views)
0 Likes