Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
8235 posts

Re: MGS: Ground Zeroes=Meh

Sep 12, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
hows life behind those 4 inch Coke bottle lense nostalgia goggles? of course the series isnt what it used to be and it never will be again, get over it, no need to beat a dead horse day after day about how the series is declining. we all know MGS used to be better, but its still good. stop dwelling on the past, stop dwelling on the negative and stop being the grumpy old guy who always biasly talks about "how good things used to be".

It has nothing to do with nostalgia, I am very well aware that it isn't going to be the same. I have a problem with the quality. If they want to carry on milking the series, a heavily story focused series, I would rather some actual effort was put into it instead of flogging the dead horse that is this whole Big Boss missing link nonsense.

The only game I have ever be actively down on is PW, and that is because it is a terrible mess aimed at teenage school kids. Ground Zeroes I am giving a chance, even though I would rather it be a new IP, and Rising is something I will probably pick up. I am no where as negative as you make me out to be, I just have my expectations in check. :smileymad:

quality? the quality of the games has always been the same if not gotten better.

your disdain for Big Boss seems to be ruining everything for you, which is tough luck because hes sticking around and games will be made about him. stop dwelling on the negative.

It seriously hasn't. It reached a peak around MGS2/3 and has declined ever since. Sure it might look good, and not be full of bugs and glitches, but quality of the characters and story has just petered out.

It has nothing to do with Big Boss, sure I don't find his character interesting, but it is more to do with them going back to this same time period between MGS3 and MG again and again, because it is always the same crap. :smileymad:

Message 41 of 96 (291 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25222 posts

Sep 12, 2012

ygoloib wrote:

To me they should have save this for next gen since next gen is about 2 years away & knowing konami history this game will probably come out in 2 or even 3 years anyway. Also what's up with this game being called a prologue to MGS 5, this aint Gran Turismo. I don't want no in between story, just combine this game with 5 & add a new improved MGO & this game will be in business. Also the name is silly.

And you know for sure the next generation of consoles is "about two years away"? Or is it two years away because "it just is"? 

As far as the game being called a "Prologue" to Metal Gear Solid 5, I know that books are the veritable Kryptonite to gamers, but have you ever read The Hobbit? As for the subtitle "Ground Zeroes", I'm not going to explain that one to you. Look it up. 

Message 42 of 96 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25222 posts

Sep 12, 2012

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

VR_F0X wrote:

We have been getting in between games for ages. Why he doesn't just make MGS5, or better yet a new IP, instead of making all these non-stories all over the place is anyone's guess. The names have always been silly. SNAKE EATER. PEACE WALKER. :smileymad:

but he is making new IPs. project OGRE, that game with human issues.

the real question is when we will even see them.

We don't know what he is doing. Both those things could still turn out to be, or into, MGS.

My point is have you ever played MGS and then thought, "MAN! I WISH I COULD STEAL THIS JEEP AND DRIVE AROUND WRECKING THIS PLACE UP AND THEN CALL IN HELI-SUPPORT." I just do not understand why he keeps creating these non-stories to use these ideas. Wouldn't Ground Zeroes, the gameplay/concept/whatever, be better as a new IP? Something not related to this convoluted story, that wouldn't then just pile more on to it. Same with PO, PW.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had the idea for an open world game, and then pulled a Portable Ops and stuck MGS into it. :smileymad:

So you're saying you want to play Grand Theft Auto in a military setting? There's already a game that does that. It's called Mercenaries. 

This reminds me of all the people who went to see The Fellowship Of The Ring, and then were disappointed when they saw the ending, or should I say the lack of an ending. Much like Lord Of The Rings, Metal Gear Solid is a complete body of work. It's not multiple seperate games. This is going to tie into the entire saga. How? We'll have to wait and see. 

Message 43 of 96 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25222 posts

Sep 12, 2012

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
hows life behind those 4 inch Coke bottle lense nostalgia goggles? of course the series isnt what it used to be and it never will be again, get over it, no need to beat a dead horse day after day about how the series is declining. we all know MGS used to be better, but its still good. stop dwelling on the past, stop dwelling on the negative and stop being the grumpy old guy who always biasly talks about "how good things used to be".

It has nothing to do with nostalgia, I am very well aware that it isn't going to be the same. I have a problem with the quality. If they want to carry on milking the series, a heavily story focused series, I would rather some actual effort was put into it instead of flogging the dead horse that is this whole Big Boss missing link nonsense.

The only game I have ever be actively down on is PW, and that is because it is a terrible mess aimed at teenage school kids. Ground Zeroes I am giving a chance, even though I would rather it be a new IP, and Rising is something I will probably pick up. I am no where as negative as you make me out to be, I just have my expectations in check. :smileymad:

quality? the quality of the games has always been the same if not gotten better.

your disdain for Big Boss seems to be ruining everything for you, which is tough luck because hes sticking around and games will be made about him. stop dwelling on the negative.

It seriously hasn't. It reached a peak around MGS2/3 and has declined ever since. Sure it might look good, and not be full of bugs and glitches, but quality of the characters and story has just petered out.

It has nothing to do with Big Boss, sure I don't find his character interesting, but it is more to do with them going back to this same time period between MGS3 and MG again and again, because it is always the same crap. :smileymad:

That's your opinion, I find it has remained compelling. This reminds me of the argument people use with me about how they should have stopped making Bond movies a long time ago, and they ask me "Have you ever seen Moonraker?". To which I always say "more times over the last thirty years than you can EVER possibley know". 

They reason they are going to this period is because there's a huge gap in the history, and in the story. Also it was the height of the Cold War, I'm sure those words are meaningless to you, but for older guys like me it has significant meaning. If there still weren't stories to tell, I'm sure Hideo would let the series rid off into the sunset, but he keeps coming back because he feels there's more to give. Hideo is also a HUGE 007 fan as well, so I'm sure he's taking cues from the Broccoli family and how they've kept the series going, and have kept it fresh while reinventing it over the last fifty years. 

Message 44 of 96 (274 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32721 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2012

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

you were slamming on PW for the characters, but that games characters were the most developed ones since MGS3.

you cant honestly say that MPO or MGS4 had better characters? destroying existing characters, token black guys, enemies with tacked on pasts. the only character in PW that was lame was Cecile, and thats only because no one cared about her. Coldman was pretty lame also.
and the story for PW was good. MGS4 was a cluster**bleep**. MPO's was mediocre.

and dont say it has nothing to do with Big Boss. you hate him, we all know it. :smileytongue:

Message 45 of 96 (267 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Sep 13, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

you were slamming on PW for the characters, but that games characters were the most developed ones since MGS3.

you cant honestly say that MPO or MGS4 had better characters? destroying existing characters, token black guys, enemies with tacked on pasts. the only character in PW that was lame was Cecile, and thats only because no one cared about her. Coldman was pretty lame also.

and dont say it has nothing to do with Big Boss. you hate him, we all know it. :smileytongue:

I have to look at PO and ask was Null/Frank really needed at that point?  MGS4 drove others into the ground (Vamp, Raiden, Drebin himself wasn't needed, etc.) or threw stuff out the window and so on but I understand that as a constraint of trying to conclude so much since MGS3 was a prequel and added stuff on top of what MGS2 questions needed answering.  I'll give PW the development of characters, I just felt that some designs seemed a bit...familiar (Strangelove, Huey, Amanda) which I think the series needs to move away from (the Snakes are supposed to be the look-alikes) =\ 

So I'm hoping GZ does more of a PW on the character development front while bringing in some actual new designs (not tweaked of existing ones) while not dragging known characters through the mud in the process.

Message 46 of 96 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8235 posts

Sep 13, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:
So you're saying you want to play Grand Theft Auto in a military setting? There's already a game that does that. It's called Mercenaries.

I never said I wanted that, but It also looks like it is called Ground Zeroes too.

Also, you are so condescending it is unreal.

the_original_se wrote:

PO had better characters, they actually had some originality and personality to them. One of the worst things about PO is the inclusion of Null and Sokolov, but other than that the characters are better.

I am not saying that any of them are particularly good, I don't really enjoy either, I just think that PO is a better MGS game than PW.

It is a bit unfair for you to talk about boss characters with tacked on pasts and token blacks guys when MGS3 had both of those. The worst thing about MGS4 is that the characters just regressed, but MGS4 did it's job and tie up all the loose ends, we might not like them, but it actual lead somewhere. Then again that looks like even that might come undone if Kojima is going to carry on with Solid Snake.

I don't hate Big Boss, I just find him boring. We all know you love Big Boss with the same passion that Ocelot does, so maybe you are just biased and can't see the flaws in his saga of games. :smileymad:

Message 47 of 96 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8486 posts

Sep 13, 2012

To break up the bromance rage fest here, I'm not sure if any of you saw Ryan Payton on NeoGAF talking about MGS4 being a huge mistake and how they should have known that you can't answer every possible question in one game and that's the reason it was as bad as it was; they were trying to do so much.

Take back the future
Message 48 of 96 (244 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32721 posts

Sep 13, 2012

VR_F0X wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

PO had better characters, they actually had some originality and personality to them. One of the worst things about PO is the inclusion of Null and Sokolov, but other than that the characters are better.

I am not saying that any of them are particularly good, I don't really enjoy either, I just think that PO is a better MGS game than PW.

It is a bit unfair for you to talk about boss characters with tacked on pasts and token blacks guys when MGS3 had both of those. The worst thing about MGS4 is that the characters just regressed, but MGS4 did it's job and tie up all the loose ends, we might not like them, but it actual lead somewhere. Then again that looks like even that might come undone if Kojima is going to carry on with Solid Snake.

I don't hate Big Boss, I just find him boring. We all know you love Big Boss with the same passion that Ocelot does, so maybe you are just biased and can't see the flaws in his saga of games. :smileymad:

WAT? PO had better characters than PW? the had originality and personality? :smileyvery-happy:

but at least MGS3's bosses were good and most had decent back stories(The End, The Sorrow). MGS4's were horrible. its like they spent to much time on their appearance and forgot to write story and even decent dialog for them.

and since when cant i see the flaws in Big Boss's saga of games? MG1 and MG2 are horrible flawed and so was PO. MGS3 and PW are great games with good stories. your utter hate for Big Boss  makes you biased and you see everything about him as being flawed.

Message 49 of 96 (232 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32721 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

To break up the bromance rage fest here, I'm not sure if any of you saw Ryan Payton on NeoGAF talking about MGS4 being a huge mistake and how they should have known that you can't answer every possible question in one game and that's the reason it was as bad as it was; they were trying to do so much.

wasnt he responsible for some of those "mistakes"?

either way, screw him, he works for MS now. :smileytongue:

Message 50 of 96 (231 Views)
0 Likes