I Only Post Everything
981 posts

Re: From What You Saw Are You Getting MGS : RISING

Jun 15, 2010

dpmm07 wrote:

I want them to take the SOLID out of it. And just call it Metal Gear Rising. So that way it can kind've be it's own thing. I just always think of Metal Gear Solid as having a huge implication of stealth.

What I liked about MGS4 is that it succeeded in being a great stealth title and a great action title; it just depended on how the player approached each situation.  With Rising, I'm hoping Kojima can expand that formula, so players have the option of using Raiden to hack n' slash through platoons of baddies, or to snuff them out quietly, one at a time.

All roads lead to 623+FP
Message 21 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1544 posts

Jun 15, 2010

ShinNagakure wrote:

dpmm07 wrote:

I want them to take the SOLID out of it. And just call it Metal Gear Rising. So that way it can kind've be it's own thing. I just always think of Metal Gear Solid as having a huge implication of stealth.

What I liked about MGS4 is that it succeeded in being a great stealth title and a great action title; it just depended on how the player approached each situation.  With Rising, I'm hoping Kojima can expand that formula, so players have the option of using Raiden to hack n' slash through platoons of baddies, or to snuff them out quietly, one at a time.

I'd have to disagree, MGS4 leaned more towards action.

MGS should focus on stealth, nothing else. That's one of the reasons I like the series so much, the other reason being the story. MGS4's stealth side of gameplay sucked, and needed more attention. The first 3 games you HAD to rely on steatlh, try taking the action side on MGS1, and you'll be overtaken by enemies.

One soldier working alone, needs stealth.

Message 22 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3029 posts

Jun 15, 2010

ColtraneDaDon wrote:

I thought i wouldn't but now that i see im going to get it , or at least play the DEMO . 

and for all who didn't know that thing on Raiden's back , is NOT a mini rail gun 

it hold's his Sword . 

It's called a sheath. And yes, from what I saw I do plan on getting this game -- eventually. To me what makes a good game, is the mechanics and content, not how the content is given or showed to us but just how much fun you can have with it. That said, it explains why I loved MGS:4 and MW2, why I enjoyed OVERKILL (PS1) and Tomb Raider 1/2/3 (PS1). Admittedly though, I wasn't too excited over the first 2 Gran Turismo games, but I was much, much younger and didn't see the potential in it until I got my hands on GT3 later.

-- Quick off-topic question: Does anyone know the current release date or quarter for GT5?

Message 23 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
981 posts

Jun 15, 2010

dpmm07 wrote:

MGS should focus on stealth, nothing else. That's one of the reasons I like the series so much, the other reason being the story. MGS4's stealth side of gameplay sucked, and needed more attention. The first 3 games you HAD to rely on steatlh, try taking the action side on MGS1, and you'll be overtaken by enemies.

No, you only think MGS4 leaned more toward action because it appeared that way.  It was the first MGS game to put you in the center of an active, changing battlefield, and like most people groomed on action titles, you reacted by pulling the trigger.  Just because you weren't forced to rely on stealth doesn't make it any less of an option.  I don't know about you, but I prefer games that give me a choice (and not just the illusion of a choice).

All roads lead to 623+FP
Message 24 of 42 (14 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8550 posts

Jun 15, 2010

Well, some dude on the PSBlog said we were going to get quite a bit of worthwhile demos today and even more tomorrow. Let's hope Rising is one of them. 'Course, I won't be here to see it. Been up for 24 hours, my energy is gone and I'm a few minutes away from passing out.

Good luck guys and have fun debating what is and what isn't. But then again, it's nice to see new life in the MGS forums. Better than old regulars duking it out over who's opinion is better.

EDIT: Oh, and the focus of every Metal Gear Solid game is stealth. Doesn't matter what it may look like it leaned towards more. It's stealth. That's why it is Metal Gear Solid and not Shoot McShoot Sneak.

Take back the future
Message 25 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33049 posts

Jun 15, 2010

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

Well, some dude on the PSBlog said we were going to get quite a bit of worthwhile demos today and even more tomorrow. Let's hope Rising is one of them. 'Course, I won't be here to see it. Been up for 24 hours, my energy is gone and I'm a few minutes away from passing out.

Good luck guys and have fun debating what is and what isn't. But then again, it's nice to see new life in the MGS forums. Better than old regulars duking it out over who's opinion is better.

EDIT: Oh, and the focus of every Metal Gear Solid game is stealth. Doesn't matter what it may look like it leaned towards more. It's stealth. That's why it is Metal Gear Solid and not Shoot McShoot Sneak.

i think youre too sleep deprived.

you seem like you havent watched the Rising trailer. go sleep and then rethink that post.

Message 26 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8550 posts

Jun 15, 2010

the_original_se wrote:

Crimson_Ryan wrote:

i think youre too sleep deprived.

you seem like you havent watched the Rising trailer. go sleep and then rethink that post.

It was pretty obvious I meant everything except Rising. Besides, some new people are handling that, so it doesn't count anymore.

Take back the future
Message 27 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1544 posts

Jun 15, 2010

ShinNagakure wrote:

dpmm07 wrote:

No, you only think MGS4 leaned more toward action because it appeared that way.  It was the first MGS game to put you in the center of an active, changing battlefield, and like most people groomed on action titles, you reacted by pulling the trigger.  Just because you weren't forced to rely on stealth doesn't make it any less of an option.  I don't know about you, but I prefer games that give me a choice (and not just the illusion of a choice).

MGS is not about being in the middle of a battlefield, it's about infiltration. I'm not saying stealth is not an option, it's just a shadow of what it used to be. When I don't have to rely on it, it's just not the same. 

Example: MGS3 Virtuous Mission , I've got my knife, and an Mk.22, I'm sneaking up on a soldier, I put him in a CQC hold and put a knife to his neck to get information. Another soldier sees me and alert mode goes off. Reinforcements come in and I'm screwed. Because I've got No rations, and very few other support items. Using this same situation but in Act 1 after meeting Drebin when the soldier sees me I press start get new weapons, stock up on ammo, return to the game and mow them down.

A better example of when you need stealth is in MGS2, when you're infiltrating Ray's area in the tanker, you can't be seen at ALL otherwise it's over.

I love the challenging of having to rely on stealth that's why I play MGS.

And... Why would I be going on about stealth if that were true?

Message 28 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6129 posts

Jun 15, 2010

dpmm07 wrote:

MGS is not about being in the middle of a battlefield, it's about infiltration. I'm not saying stealth is not an option, it's just a shadow of what it used to be.

So Shadow Moses wasn't a potential battlefield, an entire nuclear sotrage over run with terrorists? It was even easier for Solid Snake to infiltrait with just one group occupying the space.

The Plant wasn't over run with enemy terrorists?

I can play MGS2 and the original on the hradest difficulties, and it's still in many areas easier than The Boss Extreme, what with the better enemy AI.

I've never understod this argument, it's idiotic.

Random Images
Message 29 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1544 posts

Jun 15, 2010

drupac2k8 wrote:

dpmm07 wrote:

MGS is not about being in the middle of a battlefield, it's about infiltration. I'm not saying stealth is not an option, it's just a shadow of what it used to be.

So Shadow Moses wasn't a potential battlefield, an entire nuclear sotrage over run with terrorists? It was even easier for Solid Snake to infiltrait with just one group occupying the space.

The Plant wasn't over run with enemy terrorists?

I can play MGS2 and the original on the hradest difficulties, and it's still in many areas easier than The Boss Extreme, what with the better enemy AI.

I've never understod this argument, it's idiotic.

I know you're not that dumb.

Message 30 of 42 (14 Views)
0 Likes