Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 20 2010
By: CrisisEnd First Son 16 posts

Mics: It's not a must have.

43 replies 653 views Edited May 20, 2010

So, people out there have been kicked before(like me) because they don't have a mic.

Now let me ask you all, does having a mic really matter THAT MUCH?

Mics aren't that important.

I've seen people with mics that do stupider things than me, some just chat with their mics while they run out and die.

So I want to know, what is everyone's opinion on someone that doesn't have a mic?

To me, it's not about having a mic or not, it's just about how a person acts, their behavior and how they help the team even without a mic. 

Valor - 1 time Vet / Raven - lv 26 / Never gonna join SVER!
Sole memeber of DWS- Down with SVER, now recruiting, msg me!
PSN:CrisisEnd
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Re: Mics: It's not a must have.

May 20, 2010

I would strongly encourage you to spread the word - if you would be at Valor or SVER.

Having you in my current and favorite PMC: Please don't.  Just get a cheap mic and use it wisely!

In general, with-out a mic, i.e. with-out comms, you have disadvantages over opponents that have comms.  Hence, why military is using comms and why functional comms are of outmost importance in military. Hey, they even invented the whole Internet technology in the 60ies just to have a fail-safe comms network.  MAG is much closer to a tactical battle simulation than any other shooter I know.

With-out comms, you have only restricted abilities to coordinate your squad, that's FRAGO and waypoint. You can't warn, you can't synchronize time events, you can't give advice, you can't ask certain members to perform certain tasks. And in Domination the opponent OIC can just signal jam you, and then you have even no FRAGOs and waypoints anymore, only comms would help, but now your whole squad is just sitting duck and uneffective for a couple of valuable minutes, and that usually happens twice during a Domination battle.

Futhermore, you have no ability to coordinate with your platoon, you can't ask for back-up, you can't respond to calls. You can't tell anyone that you still have air-support and ask who needs it most.

It is no excuse that there are people with mics doing stupider things than you.  I already met few, but then with mic there is always a chance to have a training on the job.  If you are already a good leader, you only will become a better leader with comms.

Bottom line: You cut off yourself and your team a valuable asset and the pre-condition for tactical advantages.

No offense, dude. I just wonder. There have been so many discussions in this forum about the great benefit of comms, and still there are people justifying .... uhm, what?.... rendering a strong united force of an 8 men squad or even entire platoons into a bunch of  straying cats? :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

May 20, 2010

The message I am trying to spread is that even without mics, it doesn't immediately make that person/squad worst than that one squad with mics and keeps talking about '4 people surrounded my body please rez'.

I think a good squad with mics and a good squad without mics don't make that big of a difference in the end, it's all about how people act, their actions and how they look at a battle field and coordinate themselves even without someone telling them what to do.

I understand how useful a mic would be but it really doesn't justisfy how people either yell at you for not having a mic, or try to kick you for not having a mic.

Maybe we should start talking about tactics for people without mics too and not just tell people to get a mic.

Hell, some people with mics don't even speak english or they can't speak it clearly (That includes me in certain cases.).

What would you do if a person doesn't have a mic?

Tell them to step down JUST because they don't have a mic because you could lead so much better with one?

Another point: Just how many people do you see online have mics?  I don't see quite a lot except for the occasional guy that laughs while he shoots people down with his LMG then cusses when he got shot down. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
92 posts

May 20, 2010
Communication is key to success, or else you have everyone going every which way and not doing anything. Even setting a waypoint doesn't do anything sometimes, you have to TELL people what to do. If you are "leading" without any sort of communication, then you aren't leading.

On a separate note about your sig... why would you not join SVER? Because you've got destroyed by them too many times? HAHA. That's why I switched to them after Raven.... "If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em."

(I will be switching to Valor next though to try it out, that way I can't get all lvl. 60 wth all 3 PMCs).
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1775 posts

May 20, 2010

I feel that mics are a must have if you want to coordinate excellent team work. I remember playing a SABO game where we were attacking Valor. We had taken down A and B fast and my platoon leader told the entire team to meet up at the church. Now of course not the whole team listened, but a strong amount of them did. We had about 20+ people meet up and we slowly made our way to the left stairs. Once there, we jumped down to C and took it over in one take. That's what a mic can do for you when you have a smart platoon leader like my friend did for us. That was the best game of SABO I have ever played and that is what MAG is all about for me. Now tell me if you were a platoon leader would you be able to lead an attack like that without a mic?

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

May 20, 2010

You know.. there are many as of now that do not have a mic that i see doing more for the team than some WITH mic's...  This is because communication is EASILY MADE WITHOUT MIC'S by simply following the orders given.   It can go either way ofcourse and yes mic's obviously help but hey, you can only take this game so seriously..  It is a game run on nothing but public servers with many kids who only have a few years gaming under there belt.. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3600 posts

May 20, 2010
Personally I see the mic a soldier has as their most important tool for success, it is necessary! To co-ordinate tactics and strategies one must have a mic otherwise it's like beating a dead horse trying to get them to do something without being able to hear what they have to say about it.

Get a mic, they're not that expensive and you'll probably enjoy the games a whole lot more with one, I know I do. I rarely play without several clan members now due to disliking the silence of "randoms" i end up being with when I deploy on my own.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

May 21, 2010

So pretty much everyone should just be good little sheeps and follow orders or they need to be people that can talk about stuff and 'lead' others to victory?

If you can't play with people that don't talk it just means you either can't coordinate yourself without someone telling you what to do or you can't grasp the situation of the battlefield to know how to help your team effectively without being asked or told what to do.

You don't need to tell someone to watch your six, how about watching theirs?  Or maybe if you are a real leader people will just naturally follow you without even you telling them to.

To SnDin9:  SVER is too strong and you know it.  So instead of jumping on the bandwagon like every other person that thinks being with the winning team makes you pro, I'd rather choose to spread the message that SVER's LMG, their massive amounts of people including experienced players will always have an opponent when everyone finally vetted to SVER even if I have to fight by myself against 256 players, guess what?  I would still be fighting.

Instead of marveling at "OMG SVER IS SO PRO THEY BE GETTING EVERY BONUS THAR IZ!" I think people should just vet out of SVER so they can balance the game a bit more.

To bigblack404:  Hey guess what?  While your platoon gathers up at the church, my platoon could already be planting that charge after a few good opportune moments.

Sure it's fun to rush everyone, but if Valor wasn't so fail, and you are fighting against the few good players Valor has, a few nades and mines and your platoon would be too split up to even continue pushing against the good defense line Valor occasionally gets.

Instead of wasting time staying back, watch for a good moment to help make a gap for your team and support them on the offense.

People complain about others not contributing to your 'planned' attacks but maybe you people are the ones not contributing trying to get your plan to work.

And still, no one answered my question, "What would you do if someone that doesn't have a mic is leader?"

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

May 21, 2010

To CrisisEnd: I usually give a SL with-out comms a shot for the first couple of minutes to get an idea if the SL knows what he/she is doing.  My expectations (and the minimum requirements) are rather low in Sabotage, higher in Acquisition and much higher in Domination.

I had SLs with-out comms and did not kick-vote or yell at them (actually, I ever have yelled only two times and that were other super-ignorant SLs in my platoon). Plainly, because the battle run OK and/or they were doing a good job. But this is rare, honestly.  9 of 10 good leaders have mic and do comms more or less intense.

The usual case is when the SLs have no comms, they also don't set FRAGOs or waypoints, they have no idea about anything, they don't react to any advice, they don't pay attention to the battle situation, and so on. They are just not leading, but occupying a slot in the squad.  That is when I vote for kicking and I will not stop unless this guy is gone.

Special situations are maps like Raven Acquisition (Corvus Research), in Bravo squad, 2nd platoon. If the SL is not setting the FRAGO to the Alpha bunker in the very first seconds, and also is not doing comms in the first minute, and is not doing after being requested, so all the squad is running to the f***ing gate, I kick-vote immediately.  Another situation: If being attacker in Domination, signal-jammed, and I notice too many members of the squad running to the burn-off towers instead of bunkers, just because the mic-less and command-less SL is not able to do anything, I kick-vote again.

I can accept one or two guys in my squad that don't do comms, especially if they already know what they are doing and they do it well.

However,  I'm soooo glad that I rarely have to play with mic-less and clueless randoms, and usually play in mic-only squads with some of the dozens of clan mates and allied clans, where all of them are mic-only clans.

The funny thing is, these squads are more successful than others I see.  And that's not because they would be awesome over-skilled uber-players - though some are kind of.  No, they just communicate, so they can coordinate much easier and quicker.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
92 posts

May 21, 2010

I have nothing against the leaders not using a mic, but when we have leaders not using waypoints or setting a proper frago, then I'll attempt to vote kick. If the leader doesn't want to lead, don't be leader.

Also, I don't care about our contracts, yeah it's nice, but are they really worth anything that important? Not really.

I'll more than likely switch to Valor after SVER (that way I'll have done all 3 PMCs). I joined SVER because I noticed they worked AS A TEAM. Weapon power can only get you so far. When I played with Raven against SVER, I don't remember ever just seeing one enemy, they rolled together whereas Raven split apart and everyone did their own thing, rarely sticking together. There have still been plenty of matches against us where Raven or Valor have taken sabotage in a matter of minutes, so it can be done... when teamwork is involved. (Hint: Right side in sabo for A & B are almost always wide open. For some reason everyone thing going to their left is smart.... it never works. Take 2 squads and move right down the tacks and through the tunnels up into A.... go right and take the ridge/bridge to B).

I use the SVER shot gun, the AR and LMG suck. I did better with Ravin's Hollis A3 than those things... If anything Valor needs to be taken down a notch. I've been sniped by their LMG in the head from a cross the map. I would say it's a lucky shot, but not when it happens all the time.

Anyways, communication is key to any sort of success. No one is a mind reader. How is anyone "just supposed to know" or "just follow the leader" without knowing if the group or leader even knows what they are doing?

It's like this... Ever had a job and been yelled at for not doing something?

You say,
"I didn't know I was suppose to do that!"

They say, "You're just supposed to know."

Then you wisper, "Oh, I guess that makes sense, perhaps a form of communication would be nice."

Boss screams back, "It's just one of those things you're supposed to know without being told, idiot!"

Makes sens right? Nope.

Has this happened to me? No, because I listen, ask questions, and lead when necessary.

Am I comparing videos games to real life? In this case, damn right! It seems people want to work together as a team, but have no way of doing it. (Hint: this is where a mic comes in handy). Just like in real life, it's almost impossible to lead a team without some sort of communication. And since we can't use signs or hand signals in game, waypoints and mics are easiest (you usually have to tell people about the waypoint anyway :smileyfrustrated:).

I play the game to have fun, and win. I have fun when I'm winning, easy as that. The easiest way to win, communication.

Good luck on the battlefield.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 44 (653 Views)
0 Likes