Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 29 2010
By: tross88 PlayStation MVP 3979 posts

Would you be able to go back to gaming as we knew it before this gen?

31 replies 367 views Edited Jul 29, 2010

I've been thinking about my gaming preferences lately, and how they've been influenced by the features of this gen.  I'll openly admit that I've been spoiled by some of these features, one or two of which I use heavily.  But I did manage just fine before all of that.  All I needed a system to do was play games, and maybe allow me to do something else like watch movies or listen to music.  Whether or not it was a good system for me at the time, had to do with the quality of its games, and not whether or not it had an IQ higher than mine(ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).  Yet I asked myself whether I could go back to a simpler time.  My answer is yes, but I'm not going to deny that I love some of my ps3's features, and that as a result, there's a little more to what I look for in a system noways.  So, I thought I'd post yet another thread with some more questions, so here they are:

If you woke up one day, and found yourself in the past prior to the start of this gen, would you be able to go back to gaming as you did back then, given the experiences you've had up until the present?  Do you think your gaming preferences would be different, or the same as they were at the time? 

If you were given the opportunity to go back in time to a previous gen of your choosing, in this case having control over your fate, would you(note that by doing so, you'd have to give up the spoils of modern gaming)?  If so, which gen would you choose? 

If graphics had still improved this gen from last gen, but none of the new features that we now accept as standard had been introduced, do you think you would still be the same kind of gamer you are today? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 32 (367 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Re: Would you be able to go back to gaming as we knew it before this gen?

Jul 29, 2010

Great question. I had to think about this one for a while before posting.

I have to say that, though we're going through some growing pains starting this generation with updateable consoles and online capability, I prefer this gaming generation before any of the previous. Though I would miss features like trophies, streaming capability, movie playback, chatting capability, etc... My decision is still based entirely on the games.

Games today are lacking a bit in challenge compared to previous generations, but the side scrolling 2D games of the past have still not been forgotten, and in this generation we are seeing more of such games (ie: Little Big Planet, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, etc...) So, besides the great new and pretty games, we also get a taste of the older genereations as well and how those games can be improved on. But, this is still not the the main reason I prefer this generation over the others.

The most important reason for me to pick this generation over any other is in the AI programming. Prior to this generation, how many games can we say had AI good enough to have multiple enemies try to flank you to gain an advantage? How many sports games can we say had players that perfectly replicated the tendencies of their real life counter parts? AI is an often over-looked art in our games until it's done poorly, and what we deem as poor AI programming today, would have been considered great in previous generations.

However, I will most probably be more impressed with the next generation of consoles (even more so than today), and again, not because of graphics or additional features, but because, even today, animations are repetitive because they have to be drawn from scratch. There is only so much time a developer has to get a game done. With all these new engines being worked on (that will obviously be taken advantage of by the next generation of consoles), we will rarely see repetitive movements. Couple that with what we've achieved in game AI in the current gen, and there is potential for a unique experience in most games at every play through. Better yet, development time to bring such an experience would be cut to a fraction of the time such programming takes today.

Regardless, sure I loved some of the games from our past, and miss them greatly. But, in the grand scheme of things, I appreciate what we have today and look forward to tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 32 (367 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11073 posts

Jul 29, 2010

With the passing over gaming generations, nothing much has changed for me. Maybe I've set some limitations so not to buy every cool product, and I've definitely fallen out of touch with certain genres. Brawling in the fighting ring is not as attractive as it once was.

Assuming that there is a period in which to return to (and holding my finger down on the replay button?), the 16-bit era was so, so amazing. Things were simpler, but advancing so fast. It was all very exciting. Software was everywhere. Systems had upgrades and peripherals. Gaming hit a sweet spot, not to say that it didn't have others to follow...

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Jul 29, 2010
Hmm very intresting question and one ive never been asked i think i could however the developers would need to step back to their roots too typical example square enix would need to revert back to squaresoft as the games we played back then were made by the die hard companys when it wasnt to costly in development to do so

however some would say no to this but think about it compare the gameplay we had and tbh back then the gameplay for me was so much better although graphically it sucked but the gameplay at times was booming epic each to there own on this one but i think its one hat takes some serious consideration but i could go back as the games back then were excellent but as i said the companyswould ned to go back to there roots like i stated above
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Jul 29, 2010

I’m pretty sure I could go back to the previous generation and pick right back up with the PS2 without much regret. The prior generation was really solid, with lots of great titles and technological advancements. I would miss the ubiquity of online functionality, the graphics and the massive amounts of memory. However, I don’t think this generation has really seen the advancements in actual gameplay that we saw last generation.

That being said, having experienced the current generation, I’m not sure how far I could go back and still enjoy myself. I’d probably be okay with the PS1. The classics I’ve replayed recently convince me of that. I also know that I could go back to the old Infocom style text games, or even point and click adventures such as Myst, both of which I’ve had a chance to replay in the past couple years. There are plenty of other games from previous generations that likewise have never gone out of style.

I think the point at which I’d become frustrated might be with the loss of save data utilities. I think once I got far enough back, I’d rather switch to computer gaming than console gaming, and stick to games with save features. I’m not sure I would enjoy a second helping of the cartridge era. If I woke up tomorrow and my PS3 was an Atari 2600, I’d probably turn to a new hobby by the end of the week.

0 Likes
MVP Support
11438 posts

Jul 30, 2010

If you woke up one day, and found yourself in the past prior to the start of this gen, would you be able to go back to gaming as you did back then, given the experiences you've had up until the present?  Do you think your gaming preferences would be different, or the same as they were at the time? 

To be completely honest with you, whether or not I would be able to go back to a previous video game generation really depends on the video game generation in question. I would not mind waking up to the 5th video game generation or the 6th video game generation. Even the 4th video game generation feels like it was just yesterday so I probably would not have a problem "waking up to it" either. Heck, there is a reason why I have a copy of Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection...

With that being said, I am confident that I could go back to a previous video game generation. It would definitely take some time to adjust to seeing as how I do a lot of online gaming with my friends these days but I would give anything to play through some truly remarkable video games. Remarkable video games seemed to be everywhere in the 6th video game generation and this is not nostalgia talking (I do not know why people always think this). To be completely honest with you, I have played through some 5th generation video games recently (for the first time) and enjoyed them a heck of a lot more than a large chunk of the PlayStation 3 video games in my video game collection. All of you who hide behind the notion that “nostalgia makes things seem better than they actually are” need to explain to me how I could enjoy Final Fantasy VII more than Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots when I had not played either one of these video games before...

To answer your question, my video game preferences would be the same as they are now (few exceptions). Just looking at the last few video game generations I’m going to say that the 7th video game generation is the only video game generation that has disappointed me in some manner. It is the only video game generation that is not fully catering to my video game preferences. If I woke up tomorrow in the 6th video game generation then I would be in Heaven with the sheer number of turn-based Japanese role-playing games and survival horror video games that were readily available for consumption during this generation. With that being said, I still do not look at trophies, DLC, or online multiplayer components when I decide to purchase a video game so the “features” of the 7th video game generation do not seem to have influenced my video game preferences whatsoever. I might download a demo if it is available but I do not find demos as useful as some individuals so take that for what it’s worth. When it comes to online multiplayer components, I cannot see myself purchasing a video game for an MVP Game Night just because some of my fellow PlayStation MVPs want to play it online. To be completely honest with you, the criteria that I use to purchase and/or review video games have not changed since their inception in the 6th video game generation...

If you were given the opportunity to go back in time to a previous gen of your choosing, in this case having control over your fate, would you(note that by doing so, you'd have to give up the spoils of modern gaming)?  If so, which gen would you choose?

I would choose the 6th video game generation. Most PlayStation One video games played on most PlayStation 2 video game consoles and the overall quality of video games from the 6th video game generation seems to (unfortunately) surpass the overall quality of video games from the 7th video game generation (I have absolutely no idea why this is). I have yet to enjoy PlayStation 3 video games as much as I have enjoyed PlayStation 2 video games. Heck, there are times when I just want to replay some PlayStation 2 video games because they are “better” than some PlayStation 3 video games...

With that being said, I feel that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence is more enjoyable than Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, I feel that Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening/Special Edition is more enjoyable than Devil May Cry 4, and I feel that Resident Evil 4 is more enjoyable than Resident Evil 5 (this does not look like a good trend). Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, and Silent Hill 4: The Room are so much better than anything that has come out of this video game series since the 6th video game generation and I can honestly say that I have yet to play a Final Fantasy video game released after Final Fantasy X that is as enjoyable as some of the Final Fantasy video games that were released during the 5th video game generation...

When you look at the 7th video game generation you see “spoils” but when I look at it I see a video game generation that could have been so much "better" (for lack of a better word). Instead of a video game generation that continually looks at previous video game generations and builds upon what video games did well back in those generations we have a video game generation that is sort of “doing its own thing” and trying to cater to as many individuals as possible. This might be because the video game industry is now "mainstream" (or whatever) but can this alone be the reason? Anyway, this is both a blessing and a curse. There are some fantastic video games that have crawled out of the 7th video game generation but I do not see why the overall quality of video games needed to suffer in order for this to happen...

If graphics had still improved this gen from last gen, but none of the new features that we now accept as standard had been introduced, do you think you would still be the same kind of gamer you are today?

I can honestly say that I am the same video gamer that I was 5 years ago (few exceptions if any). What was supposed to change? Was I supposed to embrace first-person shooter video games? Was I supposed to start looking for trophies and online multiplayer components in the video games that I add to my video game collection? I utilize features that are made available to me because it would seem like a waste not to but none of these features have seriously changed me as a video gamer...  

With that being said, I miss not having to worry about Firmware updates, hardware failures, external HDDs, and copyright protected saved data (among other things). If the 7th video game generation has changed me at all then it has probably made me a more cynical, analytical, critical, and overly pessimistic individual. Is this a good thing? Who knows?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 32 (367 Views)
Last Guardian
13339 posts

Jul 30, 2010

I think the time where we didn't have online play, HD graphics, or wireless controllers was the best time in gaming. We didn't focus on all of these innovations until they were possible for personal use and instead, we focused on the gaming side of things. Being a kid, the one thing that really excited me about video games was the gameplay and also, how the story built and created an entire world of characters. We still get that today but it's all watered down with today's technology. I honestly had a better time with video games when we had just started having 3D graphics for our consoles and games were fresh and new like they always had been.

I'm not going to complain about the current generation though, I feel like there are loads of new additions into the gaming world that are welcoming. But the past is more appealing to me. 

All that being said, I would definitely be able to go back to gaming as we knew it way before this generation. The 4th and 5th generations were what held the key to great story telling that hadn't been the case with 8-bit gaming back on the NES. There were great stories on the NES, so don't get me wrong but I felt there was more emphasis on storytelling with better graphics which came with the Super Nintendo, PlayStation and the Nintendo 64.

In addition, the gameplay radically changed during those generations since 3D graphics were introduced at that time and that was a huge step and challenge for everyone. Everything improved during those times in my opinion and that's what set the groundwork for what we see today. Some people might want more in terms with graphics and other improving technologies but I still feel at home with the old games I know and love.

To answer some of your other questions, I don't think my gaming preferences would have changed as much. I enjoy Action/Adventure, RPG's, and Racing games still and have played games that were apart of these genres for years. Also, with graphics, I don't judge the visuals as much as I do the gameplay or the story telling aspects of a video game. The core of a video game has always been how great the gameplay was and how captivating a story was, so in that sense, I would still be the same gamer I am today if we magically went back into the previous generations.

Great job, tross.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Jul 30, 2010

Undoubtably my answer is YES!

In fact I do frequently go back to play games on a number of older gaming systems that I own.

My favorite generation would be the time right around the end of the SNES and the emergence of the PS1. Imho, those are the golden years of gaming. That gen had a great balance of good graphics and fantastic storytelling. Some of my favorite all-time games were released including FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and plenty of platforming games like Earthworm Jim.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Jul 30, 2010

SweetPoison13 wrote:

To be completely honest with you, whether or not I would be able to go back to a previous video game generation really depends on the video game generation in question. I would not mind waking up to the 5th video game generation or the 6th video game generation. Even the 4th video game generation feels like it was just yesterday so I probably would not have a problem "waking up to it" either. Heck, there is a reason why I have a copy of Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection...

I can honestly say that I am the same video gamer that I was 5 years ago (few exceptions if any). What was supposed to change? Was I supposed to embrace first-person shooter video games? Was I supposed to start looking for trophies and online multiplayer components in the video games that I add to my video game collection? I utilize features that are made available to me because it would seem like a waste not to but none of these features have seriously changed me as a video gamer...  

I honestly think anyone who even has a slight interest in retro gaming should own that collection, because it's a fantastic deal if you consider what you're paying per game, vs what one of Sony's competitors is charging for digital downloads of the same games.  I don't think you need to be a total retro gamer to appreciate this collection. 

Not at all.  I made this thread to hear other people's thoughts on what I contemplated.  I considered how spoiled I am by modern games, but noticed that I've been doing a lot of retro gaming lately between both of my consoles.  Retro gaming on my ps3 of course, consists of playing a ps1 classic.  As for the whole nostalgia argument, I think there is a possibility that it could cloud one's judgment and make games seem better due to the fact that one had fond memories of said games.  I don't think that could be applied to gens in general, simply because it's really about the games themselves, and whether or not they hold up by today's standards.  But that's exactly why I like non-nostalgia.  I sometimes try a game from the past that I've never played before, and see how it stacks up with the modern games I've played recently.

For example, everyone I've talk to who's played both Resident Evil and Silent Hill, seems to prefer Silent Hill.  I've never played a Silent Hill game in my life, but a couple days ago, I decided to go ahead and download the first game from psn.  And now I can see why it's so popular.  It definitely gets the atmosphere right, and there's a certain degree of suspense, plus it's actually a horror game.  As you already know, I've played RE5 recently.  The difference is like night and day.  Silent Hill is what I'd call survival horror, but I can't say the same for RE5.  This gen, devs seem to think that "survival horror" means generic third person action.  To be fair, I did enjoy RE5, but though it seemed to emphasize the survival part, it's missing the horror part, which Silent Hill does brilliantly, in my opinion.  And this is a game from the ps1 era, with the limitations of the ps1, so I think something is wrong if devs can't at least give us the same kind of atmosphere in a survival horror game, with today's technology.  I must say though, Silent Hill is shaping up to be one of the best games I've played in a while. 

LightJak007 wrote:

Great job, tross.

Thanks.  I decided not to leave you out of the colour loop.:smileyhappy:

I'll be sure to answer my own questions later.  Don't worry, I always do.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11438 posts

Jul 30, 2010

tross88 wrote:

SweetPoison13 wrote:

I honestly think anyone who even has a slight interest in retro gaming should own that collection, because it's a fantastic deal if you consider what you're paying per game, vs what one of Sony's competitors is charging for digital downloads of the same games.  I don't think you need to be a total retro gamer to appreciate this collection. 

Not at all.  I made this thread to hear other people's thoughts on what I contemplated.  I considered how spoiled I am by modern games, but noticed that I've been doing a lot of retro gaming lately between both of my consoles.  Retro gaming on my ps3 of course, consists of playing a ps1 classic.  As for the whole nostalgia argument, I think there is a possibility that it could cloud one's judgment and make games seem better due to the fact that one had fond memories of said games.  I don't think that could be applied to gens in general, simply because it's really about the games themselves, and whether or not they hold up by today's standards.  But that's exactly why I like non-nostalgia.  I sometimes try a game from the past that I've never played before, and see how it stacks up with the modern games I've played recently.

For example, everyone I've talk to who's played both Resident Evil and Silent Hill, seems to prefer Silent Hill.  I've never played a Silent Hill game in my life, but a couple days ago, I decided to go ahead and download the first game from psn.  And now I can see why it's so popular.  It definitely gets the atmosphere right, and there's a certain degree of suspense, plus it's actually a horror game.  As you already know, I've played RE5 recently.  The difference is like night and day.  Silent Hill is what I'd call survival horror, but I can't say the same for RE5.  This gen, devs seem to think that "survival horror" means generic third person action.  To be fair, I did enjoy RE5, but though it seemed to emphasize the survival part, it's missing the horror part, which Silent Hill does brilliantly, in my opinion.  And this is a game from the ps1 era, with the limitations of the ps1, so I think something is wrong if devs can't at least give us the same kind of atmosphere in a survival horror game, with today's technology.  I must say though, Silent Hill is shaping up to be one of the best games I've played in a while. 

I play a lot of older video games. I need to find time for video games such as The Legend of Dragoon, Dragon Warrior VII, Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Grand Theft Auto III, Devil May CryShin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (among other video games). The video games that I listed above intrigue me more than 90% of the PlayStation 3 video games out on the market and this isn’t even taking into account the PlayStation One and PlayStation 2 video games that I would gladly replay if I had more time on my hands. Some of the video games that I would love to replay are Silent Hill 2 (big surprise there), Silent Hill 4: The Room, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening/Special Edition, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Final Fantasy X, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (I haven’t played through these amazing video games in a long time). For some strange reason I cannot list off quality PlayStation 3 video games with ease and in a similar fashion (I have no idea why this is). To be completely honest with you, there are only 2 upcoming PlayStation 3 video games that I’m looking forward to: Mafia II and Silent Hill 8 (working title). Mafia II sort of caught me off guard because my expectations are so low for the 7th video game generation. It is hard for me to have high expectations in a video game generation where only a handful of video games impress me in some manner. It is a shame but it cannot be helped seeing as how my favorite video game genres and/or subgenres are on the brink of extinction...

I definitely prefer the Silent Hill series to the Resident Evil series. I’m not sure if that is blatantly obvious or not but take that for what it’s worth. I would say that the Resident Evil Remake is one of the best survival horror video games ever made but I would also say that Silent Hill is better than Resident Evil: Director's Cut. The older Resident Evil video games (including Resident Evil 4 to a certain extent) have their “survival horror” charm but Resident Evil 5 sticks out of this series like a sore thumb (as I’m sure you are well aware). As an action/adventure video gamer I find myself satisfied with Resident Evil 5 but as a survival horror video gamer I find myself extremely disappointed with this video game. You have played through Lost in Nightmares so you know what could have been possible with the atmosphere in this video game. Lost in Nightmares, while not terrifying, has a somewhat unsettling atmosphere that makes this mode more “scary” than anything else in Resident Evil 5. What really burns me up is that Resident Evil 4, while a phenomenal video game, could have been a traditional survival horror video game. It probably would have been a damn good traditional survival horror video game (just judging from the Resident Evil 4 trailer for E3 2003) regardless of its supernatural aspects. You have seen the Resident Evil 4 trailer for E3 2003, right?

Anyway, you surprised me by downloading a copy of Silent Hill from the PlayStation Store. Was this a little bit of a gamble or were you expecting a phenomenal survival horror video game? It is a good investment and for $5.99 I don’t think anyone can go wrong with it. With that being said, I’m glad that you are enjoying this video game! If you have a backwards-compatible 80GB PlayStation 3 video game console then you really should try to track down some of the Silent Hill video games from the 6th video game generation. It is ridiculously hard to find some of these video games (all the more reason why a Silent Hill Collection should be remastered and ported to the PlayStation 3 as far as I'm concerned) but if you stumble upon an older Silent Hill video game at EB Games or something then you probably should not hesitate to add it to your video game collection...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 32 (367 Views)
0 Likes