Jun 25 2010
By: Hawkfan267 PlayStation MVP 14154 posts

Hawk's semi-annual GOTM thread: summer of 2010 edition

6 replies 35 views Edited Jun 25, 2010

Intro) Well, it's that time of the year again. It's time to reflect back on the first 6 months of the year. I think that this is important so that we can recognize what games were good each month of the year thus far. For those that may or may not remember, I usually do something like this because it's slow. Also, because it'll help with the next upcoming thread with the same theme that I have planned, which is the Semi-annual GOTY picks. But before we do that, we must be able to catagorize the games that have been released thus far.

To help, I've decided to list and define the following catagories:

PS3 GOTM: Basically, it's any PS3 game (not form another system) that was released this year that you thought was a good game. It can be a slightly older game that You bought in any given month, but it has to have been released from 1/1/2010-6/30/2010. No games before or after said dates can be considered valid

Runner-up: Basically it's the second best game of any given month in a given catagory. You can use one runner-up in each catagory, it's up to you. Also if you can't decide between 2 runner-up picks, then a Tie between 2 games is valid. However, a 3-way tie is not vaild.

PSP GOTM: The defacto handheld GOTM catagory, since only the PSP is counted. Since game releases for the PSP have been slow lately, any PSP mini, PS classic, PSP arcade game, or PSP full download that you bought from the PS store can count.

Multiplatform GOTM: I always consider this the 3rd best GOTM or year catagory. It's basically a game on multiple systems that is good enough to get on either system. For the purpose of this thread though, only PS3 versions of multiplatformed games can be considered. So if you bought a MP game on another system, just list the PS3 version anyway. It still counts.

Sequel of the month: Basically this is any good game that is also a sequel in a franchise.

Port or remake of the month: This catagory is rare, simply because we are getting less ports or remakes these days. Still, if you bought a remake of a PSP or PS2 game for your PS3 or PSP or PS2, then you can fill something in.

Arcade GOTM:  This is basically the best arcade game that you bought in any given month. Since release dates on these aren't quite clear, the only games that will count is anything that was relased after January 1st. So, if you bought say Solder X-2 this month instead of last month, you can still list it anytime during this 6 month time period.

Retro GOTM: Basically, any PS1 classic game that you bought off the PS store in any given month. Arcade remakes like Mega man 10 can count as a retro game as well.

DLC of the month: Map packs, Expansion packs and even costume packs count in this catagory. And like the arcade catgory, exact release date doesn't quite matter. It just has to be released sometime this year. BTW, expansion packs are not really full games, so they can not be counted as a PS3 game or PSN game. Expansions are DLC, nothing more.

Worst GOTM: Hopefully, no one will have to list anything here. Still, as a warning to others, feel free to list what you think was the worst game (full arcade or disc-based games) of any given month. Even if you were smart enough not to get it.  

and an optional catagory: Also in a given month. Meaning what else did you get (PS related remember) that you'd like to add?

OK, the fill-in Catgories:

January:

PS3 GOTM:

Runner-up: If applicable

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Port or remake of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM: 

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM: 

Also in Jan:

February:

PS3 GOTM:

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM: 

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM: 

Also in Feb:

March:

PS3 GOTM:

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM: 

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM: 

Also in March:

April:

PS3 GOTM:

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM:  

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM: 

Also in April:

May:

PS3 GOTM:

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM:  

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM: 

Also in May:

June:

PS3 GOTM:

PSP GOTM:

Multiplatform GOTM:

Sequel of the month:

Arcade GOTM:

Retro GOTM: 

DLC of the month:

Worst GOTM:

Also in June:

....and as an added bonus, some discussion questions....

What are your thoughts about the year so far? What month's of this year had better releases? Which month's had poor or not very many releases? Did you find yourself buying new games each month or did you wait to get new games (from January onward) in another month?

Note: Try not to comment on the year so far. That'll be done next week in another thread. For now, try to keep the discussion and your picks to a month to month basis from January to 6/30. 

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 1 of 7 (35 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14154 posts

Re: Hawk's semi-annual GOTM thread: summer of 2010 edition

Jun 25, 2010

OK, my picks of the GOTM's so far:

January:

PS3 GOTM: Bayonetta
Runner-up: Darksiders

Multiplatform GOTM: Bayonetta
Runner-up: Darksiders 

PSP GOTM: Nothing

Retro GOTM: Call of duty classic(Multi)
Runner-up:  Resident evil 3 (PS1 classic)

PSN arcade GOTM: Pixeljunk shooter (PSN)
Runner-up: Assault heroes (PSN) 

Downloadable content (DLC) of the month: Assassins creed 2:sequence 12-battle of forli add-on (Multi) 

Worst or Biggest dissappointment of the month: Dark void (Multi)

Also in Jan: Tank battles (PSN),Puzzlegeddon (Multi), Kurulin fusion (PSP),Bloons (PSP mini), Dynogems (PSP Mini), PS3 update 3.15, Infamous DLC, Uncharted 2:Heroes character pack, PainSmiley Tongueainball DLC and characters, NFSSmiley Frustratedhift team racing DLC, Brutal legend: Hammer of infinate fate Map pack, Madden ultimate team add-on, Gran turismo (PSP) car pack. LBP-PSP add-ons, Zen pinball:Ninja gaiden sigma 2 table, Magic ballSmiley Surprisedrbz add-on, Uncharted 2-Eye of indria episodes 2-4 motion comic, LBPSmiley Tongueirates of the carribean level pack, LBP:AC 2 and pirates of the carribean costume pack, Tekken 6Smiley Frustratedamauri costume DLC, and free digital comics for the PSP. 

February:

PS3 GOTM: Heavy rain
Runner-up: Bioshock 2

Multiplatform GOTM: Bioshock 2
Runner-up: Dante's inferno 

PSP GOTM: Nothing

Sequel of the month: Bioshock 2  

Arcade GOTM: Nothing

Downloadable or DLC of the month: Assassin's creed 2Smiley Frustratedequence 13-Bonfire of the vanities expansion (Multi)
Runner-up: Tie. BorderlandsSmiley Frustratedecret armory of general knox expansion Multi)
and Resident evil 5: Lost in nightmare expansion pack. (Multi)

Worst or most dissappointing GOTM: Eat lead:ROMH, but then I knew that when I bought it

Also in Feb: Eat lead:ROMH (Multi), Ridge racer (PSP download), Frogger returns (PSN), Star wars:FU Hoth mission pack (Multi), Dark void: survivor missions (Multi), NFSSmiley Frustratedhift team racing add-on (multi). Uncharted 2: Map 2 with costumes,Dante's infernoSmiley Frustratedouls packs (Multi),LBP-PSP Lurve level & savananna level and costumes.

March:

PS3 GOTM: God of war 3
Runner-up: Yakuza 3

Multiplatform GOTM: Battlefield:BC 2 (Multi)
Runner-up: Just cause 2 (Multi) 

Handheld GOTM: Earthshield (PSP Mini)

Sequel of the month: God of war 3 (PS3)
Runner-up: Battlefield:BC 2 (Multi)

Arcade GOTM: Mega man 10(Multi) 
Runner-up: Anarchy:Rush hour (PSN)

Retro GOTM: Mega man 10(Multi)

DLC of the month:Dragon age origins: Awakening add-on (Multi)
Runner-up: Resident evil 5:Episode 2-Desperate escape (Multi)

Worst GOTM: Nothing

Also in March: Dante's infernoSmiley Very Happyark forest expansion plus relics triple pack (Multi), Bioshock 2Smiley Frustratedinclare's solutions map pack (Multi), Yakuza 3:Challenge pack(PSN), LBP (PSP) 3 new levels and costumes, Borderlands:Underdome (PSN),and GridSmiley Tonguerestige pack (PSN), Zen pinball: earth defense table (PSN).

April:

PS3 GOTM: Nothing

Multiplatform GOTM: Nothing

Handheld GOTM: Freescape:escape from Hell (PSP Mini) 

Runner-up: Tie. Age of zombies (PSP Mini) and Alien zombie death (PSP Mini) 

Retro GOTM: Nothing

DLC of the month: GTA:Episodes of Liberty city (PSN) 

Runner-up: Heavy rain:Chronicles of the Taxidermist episode

Also in April:  Age of zombies (PSP Mini), Alien zombie death (PSP Mini), L4D2:The passing add-on, Uncharted 2: Siege pack (PSN), Dante's inferno: Trails of St lucia and the Godlike pack (Multi), Dragon age:Feast day combo pack (Multi), Just cause 2: Black marketaerial pack and free vehicle (Multi), LBP(PSP):Temple levels and costumes, Magic orbz: Jungle levels (PSN), LBP-PSP island theme pack plus costumes, Mega man 10 DLC:Boss mode, endless mode plus special stages 1-3 (Multi)

May:

PS3 GOTM: Modnation racers
Runner-up:Red dead redemption

Multiplatform GOTM: Red Dead Redemption (Multi)
Runner-up: Splitsecond (Multi)

Handheld GOTM: Modnation racers (PSP))

Sequel of the month: Skate 3 (Multi)

PSN arcade GOTM: Soldner X2:Final battle

Retro GOTM: Nothing

DLC of the month: Dragon ageSmiley Very Happyark spawn chronicles (Multi)
Runner-up: Batman:AA Joker and prey challenge packs from the GOTY edition

Bigggest dissappointment: Lost planet 2. For not improving upon the 1st game while making the game practically unplayable in single player.

Also in May: Prince of persia:Forgotten sands (Multi), Blur (Multi),Just cause 2: Black market DLC (Multi),  Modnation racers DLC, LBP PSP Turbo level pack and circus levels, LBP more animals pack (PS3), Skate 3 time savers pack (Multi), and Splitsecond: time savers pack (Multi).

June:

PS3 GOTM: Singlarity (Multi)
Runner-up: Lego harry potter:yrs 1-4 (Multi)

Handheld GOTM: MGSSmiley TongueW (PSP)

Multiplatform GOTM: Singlarity (Multi)
Runner-up: Lego harry potter:yrs 1-4 (Multi)

Port or remake of the month: Syphon filter:LS (PS2)

PSN arcade GOTM: Planet Mini golf

Retro GOTM: N20 (PS Classic)

DLC of the month: MW2Smiley Frustratedtimulus pack for PS3
Runner-up: Red dead redemption: outlaws to the end co-op pack

Also in June:  Bioshock 2:Rapture retro map pack, Skate 3:Maloof challenge NYC and Blackbox distribution park,  Modnation racers DLC (PSN), LBP DLC (PSN), Just cause 2 DLC.

Discussion questions:

Which month's were the best?

January through March and then May. The delayed games of  2009 made a few traditionally slow months...not so bad.

Which month's were the worst?

April and June. April just had a few delays (like RDR) that didn't need to be. June was bad, because we really had a lot more games come out in May than usual. So, it wasn't always an evenly divided each month by releases.

Did you find yourself buying new games each month or did you wait to get new games (from January onward) in another month?\

Mostly, yeah. I tended to buy most of the new games that were released each month. I did end up passing on a few games though, because of budget reasons and the fact that there were other really good games being released in the same month. I ended up passing on Army of two:40th day, 3D dot heroes, and Lost planet 2. So, I didn't get every new game that I wanted in a given month. Still, I did OK. Besides, I can always go back and get those games when they are cheaper and in a slower month (like now or July).

-Hawkfan

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 2 of 7 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11514 posts

Jun 25, 2010

February:

PS3 GOTM: Heavy Rain

Worst GOTM: Heavy Rain

March:

PS3 GOTM: God of War III

Runner-up: Final Fantasy XIII

Multiplatform GOTM: Final Fantasy XIII

Runner-up: How to Train Your Dragon

Sequel of the month: God of War III

Runner-up: Final Fantasy XIII

DLC of the month: The Taxidermist pack (which I believe released this month for those who pre-ordered Heavy Rain)

Worst GOTM: How to Train Your Dragon

May:

PS3 GOTM: Split/Second

Multiplatform GOTM: Split/Second

Worst GOTM: Split/Second

June:

Sequel of the month: Final Fantasy IX

Retro GOTM: Final Fantasy IX

Worst GOTM: Final Fantasy IX

Overall: Aside from a few particular PlayStation Network titles that released in the years prior, these are the only PlayStation games I'm fairly sure is the only content on the system I've owned in 2010 so far.

Message 3 of 7 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17140 posts

Jun 28, 2010

Game of the First Half of the Year: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

January: None for me.. I didn't pick up any new releases for January. There are quite a few that I want which were released in January, so we'll see.

February:

PS3 GOTM: Bioshock 2

Multiplatform GOTM: Bioshock 2

Sequel of the month: Bioshock 2

March: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

PS2 GOTM:  Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

PS3 GOTM: Final Fantasy XIII

Runner-up: If applicable: Mega Man 10

PSP GOTM: Lunar Silver Star Harmony

Multiplatform GOTM: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Runner-up: If applicable: Mega Man 10

Sequel of the month: Final Fantasy XIII

Runner-up: If applicable: Mega Man 10

Arcade GOTM: Mega Man 10

April: Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

May: Record of Agarest War

PS3 GOTM: Record of Agarest War

PSP GOTM: What Did I Do to Deserve This My Lord? 2

June: Disgaea Infinite

PSP GOTM: Disgaea Infinite

....I'm do my best to buy games as cheaply as possible, so my list may look a little strange. Sakura Wars owned though.

Message 4 of 7 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14154 posts

Jun 28, 2010

GrayGargoyle wrote:

February:

How can the best game of the month also be the worst? I don't get that........ 

And remember, this list is important. Because, it'll be used as the basis for the upcoming Semi-annual GOTY thread. So, the more detailed the list that you create here, the better and easier it will be for you in the 2nd thread.

...So, if you can try to write down more, it might be a good idea.

Message 5 of 7 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11514 posts

Jun 28, 2010

Hawkfan267 wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

February:

How can the best game of the month also be the worst? I don't get that........ 

And remember, this list is important. Because, it'll be used as the basis for the upcoming Semi-annual GOTY thread. So, the more detailed the list that you create here, the better and easier it will be for you in the 2nd thread.

...So, if you can try to write down more, it might be a good idea.

That's easy: Heavy Rain is the only game in the month of February (from 2010) that I've owned. You can't have a best without a worst, can you?

Message 6 of 7 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Jul 20, 2010

Not wanting to comment on games I have yet to play, here are my games of the month…

January: MAG (PS3)

Delivered on its premise, providing multiplayer battles that were both massive and exciting.

February: Bioshock 2 (Multi)

A worthy follow-up to the original, once again delivering imaginative settings, interesting characters, and crazy battles.

Runner-up: Heavy Rain (PS3)

March: Final Fantasy XIII (Multi)

Final Fantasy debuted on the PS3 with a solid series entry, featuring gorgeous graphics and a moving story.

April: None

I have yet to purchase any games released in April.

May: Red Dead Redemption (Multi)

This epic western provides a broad range of high quality content, including a strong single player campaign and deep multiplayer.

Runner-up: 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

June: None

I have yet to purchase any games released in June.

What months of this year had better releases?

May was the best month. In addition to the titles listed above, I also enjoyed Blur and the MW2 DLC. And there are several other games I hope to try at some point, including Split/Second, ModNation Racers and Lost Planet 2. February would be my runner up, and could surpass May depending on how much I enjoy White Knight Chronicles and Star Ocean when I finally get around to purchasing/playing them.

Which months had poor or not very many releases?

April was the worst month. Not a single title interested me. So far I haven't purchased anything released in June, but I do have some interest in Alpha Protocol and Lego Harry Potter.

Did you find yourself buying new games each month or did you wait to get new games (from January onward) in another month?

Most of my purchases were very near the release dates, with the exceptions of Heavy Rain and 3D Dot Game Heroes, both of which I acquired in June.

(Edit: Added a couple runner-up titles and answers to discussion questions)

(Edit: My comments here came before I'd played much of Heavy Rain. Since completing the game, I would easily put it as my  February game of the month, but I don't wish to alter the above opinions this far our from originally posting them.)